Beck zillertall/helene locomotive (circ 1980 ish)

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
stephen said:
Hi,
Could Anyone help. My beck zilertall has a problem. Tried to fire today but as i lit burner it blew out. Tried to fire again to no availl. Gas tank was full no evidence of leekage. Not sure if gas control valve faulty. Or burrner needs cleaned ?. As I am quite new to live steam. I would welcome all advice.

With thanks

Steve
Try turning the gas down when you light it,it may be too high.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another possibility could be too much air entering the th fire tube. Back in the 80's when I had a Merlin beck Loco Kit that would not light up at all I got in touch with Tom Cooper. The gas poker will be the same as yours as Tom used Beck parts. Air can sometimes get in via the connection that secures the poker in place.

c203dd9cf892485abf4bdf074112bc87.jpg

What Tom told me was to make sure the joint behind the washer (between the Nut and the Boiler in the picture) was airtight, in those days I used GunGum a repair Paste used to repair car Exhausts (not too much). You can test to see if this is a problem in the first instance by holding a lighted match near the join, if it flares up you know that you have leaking gas. Make sure that you do this after all the gas that spills after you have filled the burner has dispersed. I like to flap a teat towel at the loco to do this. You should be able to get something similar at a car spares place.

If this does not solve the problem the next stage is to move the poker itself either further in or out. Do this with very small adjustments. Eventually you should arrive at a satisfactory air flow. The skrew in the picture will loosen the poker to allow adjustments to be made. Good Luck and I hope this helps,
JonD

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
er, possably useing soappy water is better at finding gas leaks than a lighted match...:rofl:

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Gas jet needs unblocking, Steve!!

best

neil.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
New Haven Neil said:
Gas jet needs unblocking, Steve!!

best

neil.

Yup, definitely the first place to try, and my first thought. Use the can of gas (with adaptor in place) to blow it out, backwards and forwards.
Jon could be right too- the airtightness of the system does make a big difference! I've used PTFE tape on my Edrig. I'd use Mike's suggestion for leak testing though personally...

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
brianthesnail96 said:
I'd use Mike's suggestion for leak testing though personally...

Not as much fun though:rofl::Looser:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Yes gas jet first!! and if you want to get rid of it give us a shout it will go well with my Beck/Roundhouse Anna!!

674144f4b10843aeb8f691ccad377868.jpg

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
stephen said:
Hi,
First of all thanks for all the advice. Had a good look when I got home. I think it is and still is a blockage in gas jet The one that is situated at the cab end of loco. Tried forcing gas through to clear. Caused gas leak on connection pipes. This job is above my head and capability. Is there anyone who can help locally ? Or does neil fancy a go ? ( and fitting remote whilst there).

Thanks again

steve
You should be able to do it mate, infact you will need to because it won't be the last time the jet will clogg! you need to remove the jet from the burner and then use the gas refill to blow BACKWARDS through the jet and you should be just fine, if it keeps clogging up you will need to remove the tank and clean it out also. be carefull with the gas valve in the tank as thses are Beck specific and no longer available.

Oh and when you've got the jet off the feed pipe give a good blast from the tank just to clear out the feed pipe also.

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Well here goes!! I am assuming that the zillertal is a 6 wheel version of ANNA so hopefully all the fittings will be the same.

right if you look in the back of the Loco you will see below the pressure gauge a brass fitting with a 9mm nut that is the part you are looking to remove,
499d9c0e024b4614a7103d52bacfef7c.jpg

I have shown the rest with the cab removed although on ANNA it's possible without removal, it just makes it clearer. But if you do decide to remove the cab undo the feed pipe from the jet holder remove the 3 cab screws and lift off with the gas tank attached to the cab.

first unscrew the pressure gauge to gain access to the locking screw.
ae0698321407452d8c2de4553392ad58.jpg

a639f6f1fb444ad7866f2f29e2bdc9d2.jpg

undo the 9mm nut until the feed pipe comes off the jet holder, next mark the position of the jet holder and poker (the bit that goes into the boiler) otherwise lining up with the feed pipe is a bit difficult.
Loosen the locking screw and withdraw the jet holder and jet.
356b14bd5bf94d6aa07c62e73026d601.jpg

Remove the jet from the holder with a 1/4 spanner and then blow gas from the can backwards through the jet. if you hold the jet up to the light you should be able to see wether it is clear or not.
331d5e46f7174a9fb4bfc22fca737060.jpg

Reassemble in reverse order BUT remember nothing is holding up the golden gate bridge so DON"T over tighten anything. hope this helps, put the loco on a tea towel when you strip it that way you won't lose any of those pesky screws!! Now I have to go put Anna together again and test Ah! yes testing I love testing..........................

Just editing this post and I noticed the state of my fingers holding that jet!! If them's not working mens fingers I don't know what are!!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
and unless you were supplied with a tiny wire by the maker for the purpos-do not stick anything into the jet hole-they are very delicate and easily damaged-i learned this first hand

and

as far as the collar venturi 
dont mess with this unless the jet doesnt clear-

then ask and i or another will help-(these are easy-but also on the fly adjustment and a bit of a compromise between easy light and when warmed up and blasting)-chances are this isnt the issue if its the jet

and it may take several efforts just to be certain-even tho this doesnt seem logical-sometimes it takes a couple of goes at clearing the jet- 

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi Steve

the one Paul (minmans) shows is the roundhouse souped up version - if yours is the original type with the gap between the jet and the boiler, you need to remove the jet from the holder and pull the tube off, then blow it though backwards.

...and yes, I'll fit r/c for you, get Tom to bring it over in the summer?

Neil

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
New Haven Neil said:
Hi Steve

the one Paul (minmans) shows is the roundhouse souped up version - if yours is the original type with the gap between the jet and the boiler, you need to remove the jet from the holder and pull the tube off, then blow it though backwards.

...and yes, I'll fit r/c for you, get Tom to bring it over in the summer?

Neil
Thanks Neil I wasn't sure wether mine was going to be anywhere near as you've said previously the Roundhouse ones were a bit different.......................Paul...........

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
No problem, glad you're having fun with it!

Paul, if you ever tire of that 'Super Anna'......;)

Mind you , the postage will likely be more than the cost of the loco!

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
New Haven Neil said:
No problem, glad you're having fun with it!

Paul, if you ever tire of that 'Super Anna'......;)

Mind you , the postage will likely be more than the cost of the loco!
Oh I wouldn't hold your breath mate she's my go to engine always works no fuss no muss..........................
1d7eae405ef44dc48e54f4cae13a4402.jpg

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
stephen said:
Point 1,
Hi Paul,
Are the coaches your Anna is pulling Zilertalls ?

Point 2
Hi neil,
My Anna Looks like the Super Anna Paul has. If you are desperate for one? . I will swop you for your V.O.R. On second thoughts no can do. It would not fit on my track.
Aint This forum the best.

thanks again

Steve
No Steve they are LGB Barmer Mountain coaches, I think they look very nice behind ANNA.............................And yes I do have a couple I could sell you!!!! Green or brown sir.....................

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thought you might say something like that, Paul!!:D

Steve, I've got one of those coaches (brown one) that we could negotiate for, after your last kidney grows back.....I was going to re-paint it plain green as I don't like the fussiness of it, but we could come to an agreement. I'm in no rush.

As for Anna - I do have one, but it's not the 'Rolls Royced' Roundhouse version Paul has - look at the cylinders, Roundhouse, not Beck! Appropriate, as I understand Paul used to be a RR technician!

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
New Haven Neil said:
Thought you might say something like that, Paul!!:D

Steve, I've got one of those coaches (brown one) that we could negotiate for, after your last kidney grows back.....I was going to re-paint it plain green as I don't like the fussiness of it, but we could come to an agreement. I'm in no rush.

As for Anna - I do have one, but it's not the 'Rolls-Royced' Roundhouse version Paul has - look at the cylinders, Roundhouse, not Beck! Appropriate, as I understand Paul used to be a RR technician!

Yes indeed I was Talking of which, how's those windows comming??..............Oh and I added the hyphen for you!!

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Sorted, Paul, while we were wrestling with it another guy came along who also is RR trained, and said, oh you have to (curse, swear....wham bam) and it was out.....repaired the chain (seized links) and we put it back - which was much easier!

Car is on the road, cleaned all the earths and connectors too, windows all work a treat now - made a big difference to the speed. I must take a shot of her for you - 'Grace' as she has been christened by Bill!

Thanks again for your help, Bill was very grateful for your advice. As was I!

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Mine sometimes does the same thing, if you turn off the gas and blow down the chimney to clear excess gas then re-light with the gas jet just cracked it usually will get it. another trick I use is to tap down on the chimney with my index finger and that will sometimes drive the flame back where it belongs. one last thing, this can also be an indicator of a blocked jet I'm afraid so you will have to risk the fingers again!! but this time whilst it's apart remove the gas tank and flush out any debris inside with vinegar and water...................Paul.................

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Oh Gawd sound like the jets plugged again! not sure about replacement jets I'm sure it will be a generic jet though try Roundhouse or any of the British suppliers. Other than that it's clean out the jet and tank I'm afraid, Oh and avoid turning the engine upside down I've heard irr before that it allows the http://www.gscalecentral.net/mailto:cr@p < Link To cr@p to float around in the tank and get picked up in the valve.

Did you see this on Evil bay??? I was going to bid but got distracted ....................I think I would have won it too................
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160436314545&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

aa85779193fd4cc98e08a87b297f073c.jpg