Still got that plastic track if you want to build a new layout, Mel.:D

:clap::clap::rofl::rofl:

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job Mel. Perhaps the next step would be to install a MyLocoSound soundcard into the coach so that whatever loco pulls it is not only powered but chuffs and whistles as well. Cliff Barker supplies MyLocoSound and the chain button can be used to sound the whistle.

Regards
Peter

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
yb281 said:
(snip)
I can't see me wanting to go back to track power, at least as far as the tram fleet is concerned (snip) if for no other reason than that they are soooooo much more free running without the plunger pick-ups and skates.
(big snip)

Mel - I entirely agree. Having been thinking about your experiments, radio control seems to have two secondary advantages not mentioned until your last posting.

First, locos will either haul more vehicles or draw less current (or a mix of both) with both pickups and skates removed. After all, both are acting as brake blocks! Testing required.... :D

Second, getting rid of carbon pickups would make indoor running a lot cleaner: no carbon dust floating about, especially on tight curves. Perhaps running on the carpet may not be quite so fraught with potential for domestic disaster! :banghead:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Moonraker said:
Nice job Mel. Perhaps the next step would be to install a MyLocoSound soundcard into the coach so that whatever loco pulls it is not only powered but chuffs and whistles as well. Cliff Barker supplies MyLocoSound and the chain button can be used to sound the whistle.

Regards
Peter

Peter, I already have one of your sound cards for the diesel. This is another item on an increasingly long list entitled "Ow and then I could ............. " :D.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
whatlep said:
Perhaps running on the carpet may not be quite so fraught with potential for domestic disaster! :banghead:

Ahead of you there mate. Never mind track power .............. you don't even need track!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I have some Playmobil plastic track which comes out when the grand children come over and we run the trains, saves going out into the cold this time of year. If a train leaves the track they still keep running on the carpet, great fun

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
One other thing that I've just realised I forgot to mention - you may have noticed from the second video that the diesel tram has jump leads at both ends whereas the steam trams don't. My reasoning was that the steamies hardly look any different whichever way they're running whereas there's a very noticable difference between the diesel running cab first and running bonnet first, so I wanted to be able to have the choice with the diesel.

Fitting leads on both ends adds hardly any time to the conversion job and, as the leads only cost 75P each, it ain't going to break the bank. As you may have worked out from this, converting more locos to run with the control coach takes only a few minutes, a bit of soldering and a maximum of £1.50 even for a two lead job!!!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I had an opportunity to see Mel's new system in the flesh this afternoon. I was gobsmacked! Absolutely intuitive and incredibly fine speed control.

I would heartily recommend the Cliff Barker system to anyone thinking of going radio control. Indeed anyone who is going to be running small (4-wheel) locos as a matter of course might well prefer it over DCC or DC given the smooth running possible over radius 1 points.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Round n Round said:
Still got that plastic track if you want to build a new layout, Mel.:D

He hasn't finished using all the crappy pressed metal track I gave him :D:D

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I believe Fred also has a U class and a 2095 fitted for battery operation....
[/quote]

And I am considering converting a third loco. The two I already own were converted before I purchased them.

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
With the Cliff Barker receiver/speed controller being so compact it does gives you the option of putting everything in the loco, including the batteries which is good for the weight ratio. These kits are very versatile and robust and the after sale service is excellent if you should need it

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant tread Mel , i will have to ask Santa :D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I've been doing some work on my Hartland tram to try and give it a "Wisbech & Upwell look".

First a "before" shot

39108585798b45a1921c4ee2532f30f8.jpg

And after

0b6827fa7f0e4084b5b5eeaa99684a8d.jpg

The bodywork was given a wash of VERY thinned Tamiya NATO black (about 95% thinners). This was then wiped off pretty much straight away, before repeating until it was about right. The cow catchers were made from thin strips of plasticard. The numbers are from a GRS transfer sheet and the BR crests are from Fox Transfers. The lower parts were then airbrushed with more Tamiya NATO black over dark grey.

efec9270f95147af95dcb555cf8fc4d6.jpg

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Love the weathering. And the battery set up appeals to for "instant running". Sometimes this hobby has so many options, things to try and ways to spend £ it makes my head hurt!

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That looks the muts nuts Mel

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks Bram and Ian.

There's a bit of a story behind the Hartland tram. A couple of years ago I was at the Telford show (with Gareth I think, plus I seem to remember that Paul and Alec might have been there too?), anyhoo this guy with an indoor layout was selling some of his stock, including the tram. The problem was, he wanted £100 for it, which I thought was a bit stiff even though he'd done some work to it. So while I was umming and arring, somebody else came along and bought it from right under my nose. Oh well, it happens.

About 6 months later we had a members sales stand at a West Mids GSS meeting and there's someone selling the exact same tram. I could tell it was the same because of the work the previous owner had done on it. "How much do you want for the tram?" I asked - £50, and the rest is history.

Of course the drawback was that I then found that it was pretty hopeless with track power due to only picking up through the wheels (presumably, even on the original indoor layout?). I must admit that it very nearly ended up on the sales section of GSC several times ........... and in the bin on more than one occasion :mad:.

Still, all's well that ends well. Now that it's battery powered, it's great and I'm much happier with the way it looks now too. Just goes to show - stick with it :D.

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
I'm glad to see this thread as I'm about to convert a Stainz for a customer of mine to battery with Cliff's syatem. If I remember I'll take some photos as I go.

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I'll be interested to see where you stuff the batteries, not much room

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
I'll be interested there too, I'm thinking of converting my stainz. Amazing how winter drawing in makes you consider this even more!