Battery power and radio control using Cliff Barker components

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
Battery power is definitely superior to track power in my view. I don't have any track power to my line so all my locos are either steam or battery r/c or simply just battery. I use Electronize speed controllers and on board batteries. If you look on ebay you can find batteries of all sizes meaning you can fit them in almost any loco.

I haven't used the Cliff Barker sustem but it does look very good. Can you link more than one loco to the same transmitter?

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Yes you can, but if you have both locos switched on then both of them will move at the same time

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
I've been doing some work on my Hartland tram to try and give it a "Wisbech & Upwell look".

Wow, that's transformed the look of something that was very toy like, to something that is very realistic....

Nigel273

Registered
8 Apr 2021
Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I wasn't really looking forward to the coming Autumn and Winter months as every running session would have to start with cleaning the track. I've got an LGB track cleaning loco, but I've been warned off from using it on wet track and, as our garden is on the north side of the house, my track will seldom be truelly dry in the coming months. The other problems are that I use analogue control (which I'm convinced needs cleaner track than digital), I prefer to use smaller 0-4-0 & 0-6-0 loco's and I'm quite fussy when it comes to scale speed. Don't get me wrong, if I'm going to have a good day's running I'm more than happy to give the track a good clean (during the warmer months the track seldom needs much cleaning anyway as trains are run almost every day), but if I just want to run something for an hour or two, having to clean the track often puts me off.

Over the last few months I've had several goes with the battery powered / remote controlled kit that Bram has fitted to some of his LGB locos, both on my own track and on the West Mids G Scale Society test track. Bram uses Cliff Barker products for these conversions and I was very impressed.

http://www.cliffbarker.talktalk.net/index.html

We came up with the idea of installing the receiver/controller and battery pack into a coach with the power being taken to the loco's motor via leads with plugs and sockets. This would allow any (easily) modified loco to be plugged in for battery running. What I had in mind was to modify my small fleet of 3 0-4-0 trams with control and batteries being carried in the Kiss coach that Mike kindly gave me some time ago (known as the ex Bolton Corporation Coach).

ff8a49107f5642519ed453e9ef892a7e.jpg

5098f33fe61f443f9a66604f038681fe.jpg

This Hartland tram was a particularly poor performer as it only picks up from it's wheels (no skates).

1cdd773eace4455986aa601301172702.jpg
Can someone help me please I need a diagram so I can convert a train to battery power with a list of parts I will need all help great fully received and I will thank you all for your help

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
OK.......

Let's start at the beginning :
Which make and model of 'train'?
Do you want sound?
Do you want directional lights?
What is your track like? - radius of curves, gradients..

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Can someone help me please I need a diagram so I can convert a train to battery power with a list of parts I will need all help great fully received and I will thank you all for your help
There is currently a thread running about battery conversion, have a read of that, and then you may be able to give us a clue as to what you are after. It is not just the diagram, because that will depend which company's components you are using, what your power supply is and where you intent to install it - sorry but as PhilP says we need more information to help you.
It may also be better to start a new thread, with some specifics in the title so we can address you directly. :)

Nigel273

Registered
8 Apr 2021
Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
OK.......

Let's start at the beginning :
Which make and model of 'train'?
Do you want sound?
Do you want directional lights?
What is your track like? - radius of curves, gradients..

PhilP
Thanks Phillip but after looking at diagrams I found on the internet I am not going to bother with it I will stick to my old way of track powered thanks again I am disabled so it will be more of a challenge thanks again Nigel