Battery operated loco"s.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Lionel makes some "G Scale" battery operated train sets with remote control. Scale is roughly 1:24. Here is a VIDEO of one of their train sets and be found on-line in the US for $80.

Update: It apparently doesn't fit on standard G gauge track like LGB. Too wide.

Thanks for updating Rodger - The peril of that misnomer that is "G Scale" - one needs to be clear about track gauge and scales or you find companies like Lionel seeking to bolster sales by latching onto a popular term for larger scale products to make extra sales. Leaving a load of miffed customers up a blind alley and possibly put off the wider possibilities that this hobby may have to offer them.

And here is the review thread of the "Chinese radio control G Scale locomotive" in the Ebay listing from this very site.
Both come up at the top of a Google search, at least certainly from my location in the UK. Max

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure that it will create ‘memories that will last a lifetime’ and what is a Gondoooola? But a workmanlike Set that is a great start, yes the scale looks more 1:32/29 ish to me but eminently usable and a great starting point for a Narrow Gauge Conversion. New Cab, Higher Chimney and perhaps a Wider Tender and you are sorted. Looks great value for the price.

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure that it will create ‘memories that will last a lifetime’ and what is a Gondoooola? But a workmanlike Set that is a great start, yes the scale looks more 1:32/29 ish to me but eminently usable and a great starting point for a Narrow Gauge Conversion. New Cab, Higher Chimney and perhaps a Wider Tender and you are sorted. Looks great value for the price.
Technically, she didn't say they would be "good" memories ...
The plastic track it runs on has a gauge of 2 inches. Seems it would be hard to kit bash.
Gondola = Open Wagon

Another update: Lionel actually refers to the gauge as "Ready to Play" rather than G Gauge. They used to make similar products in G gauge such as the Harry Potter Hogwarts Express shown in this VIDEO. Did a quick search and found one on ebay for $489, so it has passed into the realm of over priced collector items. Last listed in the 2015 Lionel catalog. Lionel's on-line store does not currently list any train sets in G Gauge.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That video by a Lionel employee calls it G gauge... most of the large scale trains were actually pretty close to 1:32...

please note the "G gauge" references from a google search, and how many are from lionel itself.

Greg

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
That video by a Lionel employee calls it G gauge... most of the large scale trains were actually pretty close to 1:32...

please note the "G gauge" references from a google search, and how many are from lionel itself.

Greg

Good catch Greg. The video was published in 2015 and the train probably ran on G Gauge (Gauge 1) track back then. The version for sale at Trainworld that I linked to was specifically listed as Ready to Play with the following note:

With this Ready-to-Play set comes an exclusive track system which allows you to create; a circle, a rectangle or an oval layout. As this track system is exclusive to Ready-to-Play set, it is not compatible with Lionel G Gauge or other G Gauge track systems.

Although the pros at Trainworld recognized the problem and warn the customer, that probably isn't true for other more generic retailers.

The videos from Lionel on your google search are from around 2015 when they had G Gauge. Some the items like the Crayola train are labeled G Gauge when you look at the Lionel box pictured in the ad. Might be a good candidate for kit bashing after all at $90.

Most of the Lionel items on Amazon are Ready to Play, but there are some that claim G Gauge. Old stock maybe? Would definitely need to research the Lionel item numbers to see what you are ordering. Some of the reviews were pretty brutal btw.

Anyway, Lionel certainly made it confusing ...

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:devil::devil::devil:

I thought 'G' was a scale, and not a gauge? :think:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I see, was unaware of this larger gauge. It appears to be close to the "standard gauge" of long ago, which was about 2-1/4", I've looked all over and it's hard to find any references to the actual gauge, but I have found a couple that say it's 2" gauge, an Amazon review says it 2-5/16 on the outside of the rails, so that jives with a 2" gauge too.

Wow, so they made a gauge slightly off from standard gauge, which is available from MTH, so no compatibility with anything. Thanks Lionel!

Greg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Back to the subject, yes, there's lots of new old stock in G scale/gauge...

Some of the early Lionel was not too bad, you could make the Pacific a pretty good runner, and the dual motor diesels could pull well, albeit drawing as much current as a small city. I've seen a number of the Pacifics turned into pretty nice locos, with more weight and some mods.

The later steamers were not really very good, nor the battery powered units.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Technically, she didn't say they would be "good" memories ...
The plastic track it runs on has a gauge of 2 inches. Seems it would be hard to kit bash.
Gondola = Open Wagon

Another update: Lionel actually refers to the gauge as "Ready to Play" rather than G Gauge. They used to make similar products in G gauge such as the Harry Potter Hogwarts Express shown in this VIDEO. Did a quick search and found one on ebay for $489, so it has passed into the realm of over priced collector items. Last listed in the 2015 Lionel catalog. Lionel's on-line store does not currently list any train sets in G Gauge.
Sorry I was being a little ironic about her pronunciation oh Gondola, sometimes us brits find American pronunciation somewhat off or different to how we would say things. I am fully aware of what a Gondola is.

I thought 'G' was a scale, and not a gauge? :think:

Interesting that we now have not only flexibility of scale but even Track Gauge in G. I believe the term was coined by Peco to reflect Garden Model Railways Running in Gauge 1 Track but not necessarily to Scale or Gauge 1 if you will. I.E. predominantly Narrow Gauge but in later cases taking in Models that are not at true Gauge 1.

Scale and Gauge has become a complete minefield to explain and understand for new timers into Garden Railways.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I am pretty sure 2 inch was known as gauge 2, but it fell out use.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting gauge 2 started as 2.5", later changed to 2", in Europe, and 2" in the UK as you stated.

interesting that it is about 1:28 for standard gauge in the US, so I could buy a bunch of the Lionel track, re-gauge my Aristo and USA trains and be closer to scale then ever!

Greg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting gauge 2 started as 2.5", later changed to 2", in Europe, and 2" in the UK as you stated.

interesting that it is about 1:28 for standard gauge in the US, so I could buy a bunch of the Lionel track, re-gauge my Aristo and USA trains and be closer to scale then ever!

Greg
Re-Gauge a load of Trains, that sounds like fun Greg!

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Is there any chance we could get the apostrophe (actually inverted commas or speech marks) removed from this thread title please?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is there any chance we could get the apostrophe (actually inverted commas or speech marks) removed from this thread title please?

"'Why would you want to do that'."
;):rolleyes::giggle:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Wot, and make another apostrophe redundant o_O
But it's not even an apostrophe, just a single quotation mark, and Locos is a plural that does not require any additional punctuation - where is F Fred Mills when you need him.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
But it's not even an apostrophe, just a single quotation mark, and Locos is a plural that does not require any additional punctuation - where is F Fred Mills when you need him.
It's another redundant one - but hey, there are thousands of 'em out there :wasntme::wasntme::wasntme: