Battery charge remaining.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Ok I see where you are coming from in your logic, the battery pack takes 6 batteries so it is possible that you may get slower running with the NiMh. Think this may be a try it and see job. Certainly with higher MhA you ought to get a longer run with the batteries.

But I am not sure that the RC being less than 9v will help. Your problems suggest that this is not the case and a new 9v should help.

In my PM diesel like yours I use Conventional batteries plus it has also had the diode fix, whilst it is good (better) for slow running it is hungry for new batteries in normal use on my line thus gets little use. Normal use on my line means operating sessions of 3-4 hours with the loco turned on all that time.
Ok, thanks.

However back to testing my batteries.
I had delivered this morning a battery tester Battery Tester Digital Checker Universal For A AAA C D 9V 1.5V cell Batteries | eBay.
Is it digital as the description says? I thought as it has a swinging needle that it might infact be analogue.
Anyway, true to the sort of thing that have happened throught my miserable existence it doesn't work. I have a multimeter which I have been able to use to make sure there is charge in my the batteries and there is but the needle on the tested simply doesn't move.
I have advised the seller and await a response.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is only 'digital' (in my book) as you use your fingers (digits) to operate it!
:nerd: :D

I can only assume it puts a small load on the cell, and measures the voltage of the cell 'on-load'?

PhilP

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
It is only 'digital' (in my book) as you use your fingers (digits) to operate it!
:nerd: :D

I can only assume it puts a small load on the cell, and measures the voltage of the cell 'on-load'?

PhilP
I wonder if it might be a bit of a con! Why? Because there are similar testers that do encompass a digital readout.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of battery testers, with swing needles, that apply load, however please ensure the battery terminals are connected the correct way, simple mistake to make.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of battery testers, with swing needles, that apply load, however please ensure the battery terminals are connected the correct way, simple mistake to make.
An interesting point, Jimmy. I have never come across a battery tester where it is used with the AA/AAA battery in a horizontal position, only with the battery vertical, +ve end up. But if you have this tester vertical, the terminals are the reverse of that, so an easy mistake to make if you are used to a tester with the vertical orientation of +ve uppermost.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
So, I Googled, a very dangerous thing, don't believe a word ;) , "battery tester with load". And good old RS components comes up Battery Testers - A Complete Guide Especially this bit Battery Testers - A Complete Guide They are different pages, really. How they work and a range of products (and prices !) depending on your application. A good bedtime read. Max

Last edited:

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I use rechargeable AAs in my Playmobil locos with no obvious problems. My computer mouse also uses AAs and the computer gives a quick check on battery level so have used that successfully over the years.

I've been looking for a mouse that takes C, D or PP3 batteries.

Paul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I use rechargeable AAs in my Playmobil locos with no obvious problems. My computer mouse also uses AAs and the computer gives a quick check on battery level so have used that successfully over the years.

I've been looking for a mouse that takes C, D or PP3 batteries.

Paul
If it takes D batteries, that, sir, is a rat!
:rolleyes: :D :D

PhilP

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
We have one of these testers, or at least the same style, for many years. It seems to work fine for us, but I'm sure it cost more than what you've paid. There's a graph on the back showing the load it is putting on the battery20230316_071757.jpg20230316_071745.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We have one of these testers, or at least the same style, for many years. It seems to work fine for us, but I'm sure it cost more than what you've paid. There's a graph on the back showing the load it is putting on the batteryView attachment 311204View attachment 311205
Ok just a thought, I have a similar one to that that just gives a red/orange or green light to indicate power status. My other ones are much smaller and have a digital readout and have an aaa battery in them to power the readout. Just Sara’s luck to get what appears to be a dud. New batteries from the corner shop may have solved her issue quicker, but a working battery tester is a useful thing to have.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
We have one of these testers, or at least the same style, for many years. It seems to work fine for us, but I'm sure it cost more than what you've paid. There's a graph on the back showing the load it is putting on the batteryView attachment 311204View attachment 311205
That is identical to one of my tester, Greg Elmassian Greg Elmassian may say they are worthless, but they provide a reasonable guide, if it is well in the green, then the battery is normally pretty good, and depending on the application the battery is used for, some stop provided sufficient power for that application in the yellow, others will work on other applications till in the red. So IMHO, not worthless but a good guide.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That is identical to one of my tester, Greg Elmassian Greg Elmassian may say they are worthless, but they provide a reasonable guide, if it is well in the green, then the battery is normally pretty good, and depending on the application the battery is used for, some stop provided sufficient power for that application in the yellow, others will work on other applications till in the red. So IMHO, not worthless but a good guide.
I suspect that most battery checkers are likely to be only a good guide, there are 2 things going on here. 1 how reliable is it to read the battery life. 2 how good is the reader. 3 how good is the output of the tester used . Oh I did 3 in the best of Python Ways.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I recommended one that put an appropriate load, it was 5 pounds.... but the one purchased was 3 pounds...

I guess I was looking for a response like:

5 pounds too much, why should I spend more?

Why is it important to test voltage under appropriate load?

Why can't I use my meter as is?

oh well, just trying to help in a manner that is worth the effort... now you have batteries that may test "good" but are really not? Did you save time and money? No. My evaluation: worthless.

That's my reasoning.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
1678984285066.jpg

This should be a screenshot of the link in your post Greg. Not sure if Amazon operate "dynamic pricing" but this one os £3.10p Max

Last edited:

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I don't mean to cause any disagreement.
My questions are asked so I have an understanding of how to use my batteries.
I have 5 re-chargeable batteries for my yellow playmobil diesel. Five times 1.2v equal 6v as opposed to the usual 6 x 1.5v with non-rechargeable batteries.
This reduction in voltage should slow down the locomotive and make it more controllable for my small shunting layout.
I'm waiting delivery of a battery tester.
You need to put batteries in all 6 of the slots for it to work. If you only want the voltage from 5 batteries, then you need to put a dummy battery in the 6th slot:
s-l500.jpg

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I recommended one that put an appropriate load, it was 5 pounds.... but the one purchased was 3 pounds...

I guess I was looking for a response like:

5 pounds too much, why should I spend more?

Why is it important to test voltage under appropriate load?

Why can't I use my meter as is?

oh well, just trying to help in a manner that is worth the effort... now you have batteries that may test "good" but are really not? Did you save time and money? No. My evaluation: worthless.

That's my reasoning.
Not worthless Greg. I read all replies but since I do not have unlimited finances I felt I had to opt for the less expensive one. But thue to my luck the one I ordered seems to be faulty. I expect they are all made by one company. and just rebadged.
I wonder infact whether the seller will help.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
You need to put batteries in all 6 of the slots for it to work. If you only want the voltage from 5 batteries, then you need to put a dummy battery in the 6th slot:
s-l500.jpg
Yes, the 6th battery slot holder has a dummy in it.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the 6th battery slot holder has a dummy in it.
For a little more voltage you could put a non-rechargeable in the 6th slot instead of the dummy. It's probably not ideal to mix rechargeable and non-rechargeable, but I don't think it would harm the loco.