DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah,

I've not made any comments regarding you trying to get your reverse loops working but must say that it is great to learn that you are going for a roundy roundy layout and pass on the reverse loops. My layout:

View attachment 239825

despite its length is just one big roundy roundy. I can set a train off and that's it, it will amble round the layout whilst I can get on with some gardening or just sit down and relax. No hassles!!

In previous days I did have a couple of reverse loops but gave up on them at that time as the LGB electronics at that time were not that reliable. Things have changed since then and I am now thinking of putting a reverse loop on the terminal loop on the top right-hand corner of the layout. In fact I've actually laid in most of the loop but not connected it up at the moment - there is a 6" gap!!. As can be seen from this simplified diagram:

View attachment 239827

I'm not sure how/where the reverse loop module and related wiring and isolated gaps should be placed. Rather than try to do it during the running season and possibly face the aggro that you've encountered I've decided to wait until the end of year when trains have been packed away for the winter before I try to get the reverse loop module working.

In the meantime I can enjoy trains running round the garden just as I hope you can.
Keith I have had some experience with reverce loops and the weak spot can be the Reverce Loop Modules outside all of the time. As Gizzy has shown the Wiring and Isolations required may I suggest that you consider mounting the Module in your Shed, yes this will mean some longish Wire Runs but will preserve the Reverce Loop Module, after all you do not leave your Massoth DC Central Station out all year.

EDIT, you should be able to take the direct power from your Massoth Central Station only needing to run 2 wires out to the Reverce Section.

Last edited:

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah.

Sending a train round at a "sensible" (not fast) speed it takes about 8 minutes …… but, if Stockers is running one his trains here, it can take double that :D;).

Nice. Just what I am trying to achieve within the constraints of my small courtyard. I'm going to have to do it with an end to end plus continuous run.

SW

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Sarah.

Sending a train round at a "sensible" (not fast) speed it takes about 8 minutes …… but, if Stockers is running one his trains here, it can take double that :D;).
Not forgetting me stabling one in the Siding, how much time did that add to a Circuit whilst you and Stockers overtook me!

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose that's what you might call having a frog in your throat!

SW
Thinking some more about your Crock Clips, LGB do Power Connectors that are easily removable while you are updating your Layout and will give you a better reliable supply at least on the Rail they are connected to due to the ScrewFitting. Just a link to show them to you, other suppliers may have them possibly Second Hand with wire on as well. Or perhaps some one may have some unused to pass on to Sarah.

LGB L50161 - LGB Track Power Terminals 2 Pcs

I used these all the time in my early LGB Days and even left some in the Garden on one of my Layouts just coupling up the Controller when I took it out, yes some decades back I had a modest little layout just like you.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking some more about your Crock Clips, LGB do Power Connectors that are easily removable while you are updating your Layout and will give you a better reliable supply at least on the Rail they are connected to due to the ScrewFitting. Just a link to show them to you, other suppliers may have them possibly Second Hand with wire on as well. Or perhaps some one may have some unused to pass on to Sarah.

I used these all the time in my early LGB Days and even left some in the Garden on one of my Layouts just coupling up the Controller when I took it out, yes some decades back I had a modest little layout just like you.

I still use these frequently when laying temporary tracks or test tracks..... we also use them at our regular monthly GSS group winter indoor meets, when track is simply laid on the village hall floor. That is the sort of connector that I've been suggesting on this thread for some time now, very much better than using croc clips!

Jon.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

I have some PIKO the look very similar about £10.00 off evilbay, used all the time till last week, still used as I tesk my track.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have some PIKO the look very similar about £10.00 off evilbay, used all the time till last week, still used as I tesk my track.
Yes Greg, so did I!

PhilP and Greg, the difficulty I have is determining what has gone wrong. Nothing to do with my crude set-up just an inability to want to carry on using reverse loops.

Much better if all I have to be concerned with is clean track without the added pressure of the loops. Perhaps in time I'll better understand DCC but in the meantime I need to get enjoyment from watching my trains.

Thanks for your concern.

Sarah
Sarah is due a large "thank you" for her articulate presentation of her progress through her garden railway. It prompted an inordinate amount of well-considered advice and analysis that was beneficial to all

Sharing my 30+years of attempts at flawless automated analogue operation, many lessons were learned initially without he benefit of the wealth of knowledge here and elsewhere on the net. As I now have achieved the ability to watch up to 9 trains and trolleys run on four unconnected routes for hours at a time without me lifting a finger, I give you the following observations/opinions:

1. I am amazed at the frailty of electrical contact through the heavy brass rails to the multiple contact surfaces of G motive power. I use 10 amp power supplies, and all my rail joints are soldered via jumpers. Cleanliness of rail surfaces and wheel/skate contact areas must be absolute. I prefer not to use abrasives and rely upon CRC 2-26 a plastic-safe contact cleaner/lubricant lightly misted on poorly conducting rail surfaces. I also rely heavily on trailing cars with electrical pick-ups connected to locomotives, especially four-wheeled ones and those without skates.
2. After years of working with magnetically-triggered devices, I moved on to a current-sensing system for my automatic block and reverse loop control, and am completely satisfied with its reliability. The downside may be the bulkiness of the wiring to the sensors, although it compares favorably in complexity with standard block wiring. A particularly appreciated sensing device controls my trolley line with a reversing loop at each end. The great feature of this device is that it interlocks the two loops' circuitry so that a car must have cleared the sensing section of one loop before the device will shift polarity to the other. The only exposed electrical components of this system are eight diodes (quite unaffected by moisture etc.). I personally could not live with manually switching reverse loops when I simply want to watch things run.

Turning back to Sarah's situation, I would focus on two distracting features (as already has been said): the aged, less-than robust dcc system, and the introduction of the complexity of reverse loops into a setup that was not yet debugged. Anytime a simple continuous loop is interrupted, opportunities for electrical disruptions multiply. I would urge Sarah to move forward with the hope that a simplified track-powered operation will ultimately spawn forays into more adventuresome enjoyable operation.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Today, as I have said elsewhere I have removed both loops. Already I have more confidence that my locomotive will run.

The continuous run with end to end terminii give me what I want.

Tomorrow I'll carry on improving my track and to enjoy marshalling and running my stock.

Everybody is being so helpful I feel quite guilty.

SW

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Everybody is being so helpful I feel quite guilty.

No need for that..

Soon you will hopefully post you have been running your trains, and enjoyed a relatively fault-free day (minor hiccups always seem to happen)...
That day, our smiles and grins will be as big as yours! :):nod::nod::D:D

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for your interest Sean, but both reverse loops have been removed. Now my layout consists of an oval with end to end running. I'm waiting a crossover to extend the run of my track a little.

SW

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
There's still plenty of stopping and starting but I don't really mind. I'm still in the throes of a final plan but I'm happy to see a train going round my track pulling a few wagons or carriages.

SW