Battery corrosion

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I hadn't realised that the Duracel AA batteries in my Radio Link controller had a best before date of 2020.
Consequently having inspected them I discovered a small amount of corrosion on the terminals.
The batteries have now been removed and a small quantity of vaseline whiped on the terminals inside the controller.
I'm waiting my battery tester arriving so I can check whether there is any power in the batteries, I will dispose of the old batteries.
The controller isn't used very often so I'll leave the controller without any batteries.
Have any members thoughts of my actions please?
Thank you.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I would scrape the corrosion from the terminals using a knife or emery board to clean them.

I wouldn't use Vaseline personally, as I think this could stop the flow of current, but it may work.

Have you tried fresh AA batteries? I would have thought that the old ones are now discharged....

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I would scrape the corrosion from the terminals using a knife or emery board to clean them.

I wouldn't use Vaseline personally, as I think this could stop the flow of current, but it may work.

Have you tried fresh AA batteries? I would have thought that the old ones are now discharged....
Thank you for your reply.

I have ordered new AA batteries to replace those in my controller. I'm using the vaseline because I won't be fitting these new AA batteries for a while and the vaseline should prevent any further corrosion. I will wipe the teminals when I fit the new batteries.

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
Duracells have a reputation for leaking, Energizers don't.

G.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The batteries have now been removed and a small quantity of vaseline whiped on the terminals inside the controller.
Vaseline, as you probably know is also called Petroleum Jelly, as it is made from petroleum distillate. so not only can it damage plastic and rubber, it is also flammable.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
To get rid of the corrosion, I would recommend using a glass fibre pen - Glass fibre pencil - 4mm | RS - I have a spare one I can send you if you private message me your address.

Certainly, too, get rid of the vaseline. Great for healing small cuts and scratches I remember from childhood days, but not much use dealing with corrosion on battery terminals. In fact, I think that just taking the batteries out will pretty well stop the corrosion process, but cleaning the corrosion off will be necessary to give good conductivity.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for your reply.

I have ordered new AA batteries to replace those in my controller. I'm using the vaseline because I won't be fitting these new AA batteries for a while and the vaseline should prevent any further corrosion. I will wipe the teminals when I fit the new batteries.

Not sure why you have to order AA batteries - our local stores have millions of 'em. The corrosion is not rust, it is anodic deposits, so your application of vaseline may be a waste of time. Just clean them up as recommended, using a nail-file or emery board.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The fiberglas pen is the right tool... preserves the plating on most contacts.

Using an emery board will eventually remove the nickel plating and expose you to accelerated oxidation of the contacts.

Sometimes in severe cases, I use a mild decalcifying solution, we have "lime and scale" removers here and a bit on a Q tip and then flushing with a plastic-safe cleaner works.

Abrasives are your last resort and fast track to removing contact plating.

Greg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use a mild decalcifying solution, we have "lime and scale" removers here and a bit on a Q tip and then flushing with a plastic-safe cleaner works.
I usually wash the corrision deposits off the terminals with water on a cloth or similar, if possible. Then dry it all and clean the contacts.