Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So for years, I had this for a battery tester, but not sure of the accuracy:

1678987959431.png

However this is what I currently use, seems to be similar to the others, with the load table on the rear:

1678988061456.png

I would not say it was worthless, it has provided some good guidance on batteries.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is improper testing will give a false reading...

sure you will know the battery at a gross level... compared to a good tester, this one uses the same load for ALL 1.5 volt batteries... too steep for AA and AAA and a bit too lightweight for C and D

So by saving a few pounds on something that should last a number of years, you may be throwing out good batteries in some cases, and not detecting ones that are giving electronics fits.

There's no long term savings, a cheap tool is a cheap tool.

Unfortunately there is a lot to be made in the battery business. I have one that has different settings for button cells, AA & AAA, and C & D, not to mention other voltage batteries.

So to me, looking at cost savings over even a few years, a worthless purchase COMPARED TO a slightly better device...

Greg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
The problem is improper testing will give a false reading...

sure you will know the battery at a gross level... compared to a good tester, this one uses the same load for ALL 1.5 volt batteries... too steep for AA and AAA and a bit too lightweight for C and D

So by saving a few pounds on something that should last a number of years, you may be throwing out good batteries in some cases, and not detecting ones that are giving electronics fits.

There's no long term savings, a cheap tool is a cheap tool.

Unfortunately there is a lot to be made in the battery business. I have one that has different settings for button cells, AA & AAA, and C & D, not to mention other voltage batteries.

So to me, looking at cost savings over even a few years, a worthless purchase COMPARED TO a slightly better device...

Greg
Greg, the issue is, is it cost effective for the average battery user to have multiple testers, most of use find something is not working, is it the battery. If it is well in the green probably not, if it is in the red probably is, and if it is in the middle try a new set of batteries to see if it make a difference. It is JUST a guide. Sorry but all those testers sitting around doing nothing for months or years is a waste. When did I last change a C or D cell, can't remember, of buying a tester for them is worthless. Here is how I manage my batteries:

IMG_1686.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Semantics, but perhaps we could agree that the cheaper 'testers' should actually be referred to as :

Battery Condition Indicators

And agree that for us mere mortals, they give a 'go', 'no-go', or '-ish' indication of the state of a cell.

Someone dealing with batteries in a professional capacity, may-well require something better?

PhilP

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, the issue is, is it cost effective for the average battery user to have multiple testers, most of use find something is not working, is it the battery. If it is well in the green probably not, if it is in the red probably is, and if it is in the middle try a new set of batteries to see if it make a difference. It is JUST a guide. Sorry but all those testers sitting around doing nothing for months or years is a waste. When did I last change a C or D cell, can't remember, of buying a tester for them is worthless. Here is how I manage my batteries:

View attachment 311234
I have a similar beast to that, tested out the AA’s today and 21 heading towards Lidl recycling bin next time I visit. And as PhilP PhilP says testers probably only an indicator but my Crest Handsets soon shows if AA batteries are no good by a 3 bar indication and pretty soon after 2 bars loosing both range and reliability of operation by just turning off.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
No, I NEVER suggested getting multiple testers.... what post of mine says that?

I agree that would be stupid... but you are the first person mentioning getting multiple testers.

What I am saying is to save a few pounds and get something much less capable is worthless, considering the cost of time and batteries.

I have one tester I use for virtually all Alkaline batteries, and have had it for years. I have received many "free" testers over the years, and they are worth exactly what I paid for them, nothing.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
My rechargeable AA batteries are now being recharged.

"The Midas Touch" is an afliction where everything King Midas touched turned to gold. If there is an opposite affliction where everything touched turns to "s***" then I have that afliction.

In order to replace the tyres on my Playmobil yellow diesel I dropped the chassis. Having discovered the locomotive then no longer ran I retraced my steps, dropped the chassis again and discovered that a small plug had left its socket.

I'm not confident I have found my problem but live in hope that the locomotive will now run!

I am grateful for all the replies to my initial enquiry.

Thank you.

PS I have new PP3's for the controller.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
No, I NEVER suggested getting multiple testers.... what post of mine says that?

I agree that would be stupid... but you are the first person mentioning getting multiple testers.

What I am saying is to save a few pounds and get something much less capable is worthless, considering the cost of time and batteries.

I have one tester I use for virtually all Alkaline batteries, and have had it for years. I have received many "free" testers over the years, and they are worth exactly what I paid for them, nothing.
Apologies, you said a tester with multiple settings for multiple battery types, again though a step to far for the average user.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Here are some examples currently available:

61JqrSLNPBL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

This one is exactly the one I have, purchases (with different branding) 20 years ago:

41mKYxMe5cL.jpg

The button cells go in the slot on the right and you push down on the dark gray part to make the connection.

There are great, inexpensive products that will last you a lifetime for purchase... trying to save a couple of dollars on a 20 year investment is worthless in my opinion. I'm sure you can find this on Amazon UK.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 311234
Very neat and tidy! You've embarrassed me know, mine are keep in the original boxes

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So what would you recommend, Greg, from this lot of hopefully, in-stock and UK Amazon supplied products ? Have fun.
Max
Probably one that is massively expensive and unavailable in U.K. without £50 in postage.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Take your pick https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Alkaline+battery+testers&crid=3FPS25GAQA84P&sprefix=alkaline+battery+testers,aps,1277&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 You can even get Jimmy's with the battery organiser (a cheap waste of money ?). So what would you recommend, Greg, from this lot of hopefully, in-stock and UK Amazon supplied products ? Have fun.

From the RS Components link I posted, judging by price, this might be their "quality, last a lifetime" option 4000392 | Ansmann Energy Check LCD Battery Tester For Various Battery | RS

Max
I did the Amazon search using Greg Elmassian Greg Elmassian link, and what I didn't find was mention this varying load test for different battery types (in most cases). I am happy with mine, I didn't waste my money, and will stick with it. The important think is Mrs B can use it, not sure she would use the more complex ones, so the batteries would just be changed, making the expensive complex ones an even bigger waste of money ;)

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I did the Amazon search using Greg Elmassian Greg Elmassian link, and what I didn't find was mention this varying load test for different battery types (in most cases). I am happy with mine, I didn't waste my money, and will stick with it. The important think is Mrs B can use it, not sure she would use the more complex ones, so the batteries would just be changed, making the expensive complex ones an even bigger waste of money ;)
I'm waiting more in hope than expectation for a replacent battery tester being sent for the faulty one I received.

On a more positive note my locomotive now works. It must have been the un-connected plug causeing a lack of movement.

At the moment though it is very wet in my garden and I only run my train in the dry.

What with my problems I haven't yet enjoyed my shunting layout but I live in hope.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I'm waiting more in hope than expectation for a replacent battery tester being sent for the faulty one I received.

On a more positive note my locomotive now works. It must have been the un-connected plug causeing a lack of movement.

At the moment though it is very wet in my garden and I only run my train in the dry.

What with my problems I haven't yet enjoyed my shunting layout but I live in hope.
Battery tester update.

After reading the replies to this subject I ordered myself a battery storage tray which included a built in tester of the same design as the cheap one., (I use ebay as it is convenient and delivery was free)
The tray arrived this morning and low and behold it is just what I need and the tester actually works!

If the replacement for the faulty one arrives I'll now have two testers.

Unfortunately the weather down here on the south coast is very wet so no opportunity yet to run my shunting layout.

Thank you again to those who replied to my subject.

Sarah Winfield

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Battery tester update.

After reading the replies to this subject I ordered myself a battery storage tray which included a built in tester of the same design as the cheap one., (I use ebay as it is convenient and delivery was free)
The tray arrived this morning and low and behold it is just what I need and the tester actually works!

If the replacement for the faulty one arrives I'll now have two testers.

Unfortunately the weather down here on the south coast is very wet so no opportunity yet to run my shunting layout.

Thank you again to those who replied to my subject.

Sarah Winfield
Glad to read the news, Sarah, apart from the rain, that is!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Still looking for a yellow diesel..

But I have been messing about with washing machines. :rolleyes:

As it isn't raining.. I can pull stuff out of the workshop..

PhilP