Mike Bett

Beer, G Gauge, Beer, Cricket, Beer.
14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone out there used this bit of kit?

Can it be used with analogue power and will it give soft start and stop?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Exactly!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Is it the long-awaited sequel to "Noah's ARC2 - the Dodo strikes back"?

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Yes sorry - I am referring to the AAR3 Auto Reversing Unit.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
In that case, I think it is *only* for analogue DC power and it's what I would call a shuttle unit not an auto-reverse (in the DCC or reverse-loop sense). The info doesn't seem to mention soft start/stop.
<edit> says on the web page it can be programmed differently (at additional cost) if you want to control a reverse loop </edit>

It does a similar job to the Heathcote Electronics shuttle unit I use with my N gauge layout (though mine wouldn't be able to handle 6 amps without a fair bit of customisation!)

Is it a shuttle module that you're after? This one seems quite expensive, and of course it's in the US. I'm sure there are guys on GSC who could recommend alternatives that may be easier to source here in the UK.

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Nick - yes it is a shuttle set-up I am making - a tram to deliver passengers to the main line station - preferably a start and finish with a call at the main line in between. It will be analogue and totally separate to the main DCC layout. I can pick up bits and pieces when I am in California, so no problem there. Any further ides welcomed. Thanks to all who have replied.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I think I read somewhere that some of the LGB and/or Massoth decoders have some sort of simple analogue shuttle-type capability built in, if used with diode fitted track sections or something like that ? If your tram already has such a decoder for running on your main DCC layout then you may be able to rig something up with what you've already got? Probably not much more than simple end-to-end shuttle, but worth checking up on?

I've no actual experience, just something I think I've read about. Maybe someone else can confirm/expand on this?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB decoder will definitely "shuttle" on DC.
Do what LGB call a hard reverse, the tram will slow down at the deceleration rate programmed into the decoder (CV4), wait (CV58), & then accelerate (CV5) in the opposite direction. Power is on the track all the time so lights always work. Just reverse the polarity with a couple of reed switches & latching relay or LGB point motor & aux switch.

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mel,

Great videos - on the last one where the diesel stops and waits you have some very nice green grass - I guess it is not real - I could do with some of this for my layout - what is it and where do you get it from?

Mike.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Mike Bett said:
Hi Mel,

Great videos - on the last one where the diesel stops and waits you have some very nice green grass - I guess it is not real - I could do with some of this for my layout - what is it and where do you get it from?

Mike.
They're not my videos Mike, I just found them when searching for links to the Timpdon electrics kit.

I do have some artificial grass on my railway though (AKA Astro Turf - although that's probably a trade name). I got mine from B&Q nearly two years ago.

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Evening All,....Hi Mike,For grass have a look on E-Bay at artifical grass it is available in different sizes by which i mean height of grass you can get offcuts at quite reasonble prices,i use the type that is used on putting greens as i find it to be about the right scale in lentgth.Hope this is helpfull,Regards Pete.

Mike Bett

14 Apr 2010
Fallbrook, California.
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys - my B&Q do not have any I will look on e-bay.