Bachmann Trolley ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
A few moments ago I came across a few Bachmann trolleys. One of them has a different looking motor block bottom. I've posted pictures for your comments. I don't recall ever seeing the version shown in the first photo. Would anyone have more knowledge than I ?

b.jpgb3.jpg

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Your first image may be the first design which apparently ran poorly.
George Schreyer's page explains a bit. I'm assuming his photos are the second design which runs a lot better.
Bachmann Trolly Tips

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
The early one's are in a maroon box and are dreadful. I gave up on mine and replaced it with a usa trains motor block which runs great.
The later versions are in a red box and are much better and run smoothly. :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The early one's are in a maroon box and are dreadful. I gave up on mine and replaced it with a usa trains motor block which runs great.
The later versions are in a red box and are much better and run smoothly. :)
I converted one to a Bogie Trailer using an LGB Bogie Short Caboose Chassis, the other one a Toastrack had the Motor removed and is also a Trailer Car. Both seen lurking in the darkest recess of my Fiddle Yard awaiting the call to duty. The shorty LGB Van also in the picture has one of the Control Boxes from one of the Trams mounted on it so that it can be propelled by an LGB Rack Electric Rack Loco also in matching Blue.
EFF014EE-C583-4BE3-8A3A-F1947C8AC0D7.jpeg

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I have a few of these trams including some very early ones (over 20 years old) & none of them have a motor block like this. They all have slots where skates could be fitted. The early ones were very noisy but ran. The next batch had gears which split after a few years. All replaced by USA motors.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have a few of these trams including some very early ones (over 20 years old) & none of them have a motor block like this. They all have slots where skates could be fitted. The early ones were very noisy but ran. The next batch had gears which split after a few years. All replaced by USA motors.

Mike, Would the USA Trains motor blocks for the GP-7 or 9 be the ones that fit the Bachmann trolley ?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 'block from the NW2 is the best fit..

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
All mine were from NW2's likewise.
Somewhere on this forum I did a few notes on fitting them. Probably a few years ago.
Just clear off all the rubbish on the underside of the tram & glue the NW2 unit in its place.
Photo 7 _Small_.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
All mine were from NW2's likewise.
Somewhere on this forum I did a few notes on fitting them. Probably a few years ago.
Just clear off all the rubbish on the underside of the tram & glue the NW2 unit in its place.
View attachment 252959
No no no never glue, somehow do a screw fit for access.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
A good blob of evil stick. It will come off with the assistance of a screwdriver.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Evil stick = hot glue?

No...

Evo-Stik is a thixotropic contact adhesive, which became very popular in the late 60's early 70's when 'we' were all using Formica (other brands are available) laminates to build / update our homes. :rolleyes::giggle::giggle:

Due to the solvents used... o_Oo_O:sick:
People working in confined spaces had 'interesting' experiences.. :(

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, so mispelled... I remember my dad making shelving and a desk from Formica, and we used the Weldwood contact cement, and yes, the vapors are wild. I still use it for a contact cement.

They came out with a water based one.... it works very poorly, and have since put the original formula back on the market.

evil-stick = evo-stick... cool...

here we have home despot = home depot (big box hardware store)

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
No...

Evo-Stik is a thixotropic contact adhesive, which became very popular in the late 60's early 70's when 'we' were all using Formica (other brands are available) laminates to build / update our homes. :rolleyes::giggle::giggle:

Due to the solvents used... o_Oo_O:sick:
People working in confined spaces had 'interesting' experiences.. :(

#1 son was chemist in their labs in Stafford

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use thixotropic sauce on my french fries.... Heinz finally recognized a squeeze bottle was better for thixotropic liquids than a bottle with a narrowing top part, exactly backwards!

Greg

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm thixotropic. After I have sat for a while, my body becomes stiff and it is hard to move then as I slowly get out of the chair I loosen up and become fluid and active again! :giggle:

Reactions: 1 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
So, on Evilbay there are a few Hartland Birneys. Harland streetcars and trolleys are priced a bit high, in my opinion. Have a look at what I can get for $300.00, used. New prices on the Bay are about $350.00 Only one axle is powered. No interior detailing and frosted windows.

Bachmann trolleys have a more robust motor block, it seems.

Hartland 1.jpgHartland 2.jpg

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like the drive ‘train’ is very similar to HLW’s Woody, mine is regularly used and is reliable but doesn’t like dirty track due to short wheelbase et al.
Ian

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
If I were to come across one at a price that approached sanity, I would convert it to battery power. I might even go so far as to create an interior.