Bachmann trams

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, has anyone made a front or rear windscreen for the Closed Bachmann tram model? I don’t have a 3D printer, but I think there would be quite a few takers here if someone with the know how and machinery could print one.
Cheers
Martin

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
If you can design it i can try and print it for you ! lol

Reactions: 1 user

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I have a colleague with a resin printer who does printing for me.

I was thinking of scratch making a couple of enclosed ends.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think there is a small market for them, it would certainly modernise an old design. If you could scratch build one David and note the measurements, I’m sure DickyC could make up a drawing for 3D printing, or your friend could. As I’m now rapidly getting into trams to compliment my seemingly large Steeplecab fleet, I would certainly be interested in buying these..

Cheers

Martin

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
I would also be interested as I have many Bachmann cars, in various states of dimantlement/decay all calling out to my conscience about projects to attempt/complete.. A few enclosed ends would give me the courage to get on with it this Winter.

If someone produces car ends at a reasonable price I will promise to provide photos of ''Dr Frankenstein's Tramway Horrors'' as they emerge from the Ashgrove Cottage Works.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would also be interested as I have many Bachmann cars, in various states of dimantlement/decay all calling out to my conscience about projects to attempt/complete.. A few enclosed ends would give me the courage to get on with it this Winter.

If someone produces car ends at a reasonable price I will promise to provide photos of ''Dr Frankenstein's Tramway Horrors'' as they emerge from the Ashgrove Cottage Works.
This has to be seen…c’mon guys, someone must be able to produce some…

borsig1963

Registered
26 Oct 2016
Italy
Best answers
Country flag
I'm a little late but... not a bad idea, i like it, I'm ietested in, hoping it could be achieved one way or another

Paolo

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Surely 3 minutes of fame 3 minutes of fame could assist here, he is the ace with 3D printing and after all a Tram man as well?
I'll give it a go! Would need to work with a designer to make up the models required, as I don't have any of these - or the LGB trams. I have made a few parts, like the controller pedestal and the axle boxes, so no reason why larger parts couldn't be designed and printed (or laser cut!)

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'll give it a go! Would need to work with a designer to make up the models required, as I don't have any of these - or the LGB trams. I have made a few parts, like the controller pedestal and the axle boxes, so no reason why larger parts couldn't be designed and printed (or laser cut!)
Ok do you still come by here? If so could lend you an LGB Tram with windows at the end to work off?

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ok do you still come by here? If so could lend you an LGB Tram with windows at the end to work off?
Yep, most weeks, at least until the end of November. Would it work for the Bachmann tram though?

Is it the surround that's required, or is there a shaped piece of transparent material required as well?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, most weeks, at least until the end of November. Would it work for the Bachmann tram though?

Is it the surround that's required, or is there a shaped piece of transparent material required as well?
Not sure, will give it a try.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’m not sure if this would help, but I’ve been talking to a guy who did design some LGB ones for a friend of his. He designs 1/43 British commercial vehicle of the 50’s. He is going to talk to his printer about making this…he’s admitted it might take a bit of time for anything to come back from this, but he thinks he can get them printed for under a tenner…+ post.

Here is a pic of one of his designs with some measurements. Looking at it, it’s not as rounded as the Bachmann front, but I reckon that by cutting, or even not printing the end panels, the screen would fit against the dash panel of the Bachmann tram. I think there would have to be a strip running in a curve just under the front of the roof to disguise the squareness of the screen, which would fit behind this strip and glueing on to the front of the roof.

As always, ideas and thoughts are very welcome.

Cheers

Martin

Attachments

• IMG_1279.jpeg
    IMG_1279.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I’m not sure if this would help, but I’ve been talking to a guy who did design some LGB ones for a friend of his. He designs 1/43 British commercial vehicle of the 50’s. He is going to talk to his printer about making this…he’s admitted it might take a bit of time for anything to come back from this, but he thinks he can get them printed for under a tenner…+ post.

Here is a pic of one of his designs with some measurements. Looking at it, it’s not as rounded as the Bachmann front, but I reckon that by cutting, or even not printing the end panels, the screen would fit against the dash panel of the Bachmann tram. I think there would have to be a strip running in a curve just under the front of the roof to disguise the squareness of the screen, which would fit behind this strip and glueing on to the front of the roof.

As always, ideas and thoughts are very welcome.

Cheers

Martin
That looks very like the LGB end to me.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
So is there a route to buy the windscreens that fit the LGB trams that is cheaper than buying from him on Shapeways?

View attachment 319925

Cheers

David
He’s told me he hasn’t had any made for years now. He also thinks Shapeways prices are ridiculously high, he only gets a small proportion of this, and with postage, a pair of these from Shapeways would cost you over £65! He doesn’t have print facilities, but uses another outlet to print for him.
My thoughts are they will fit a LGB tram easily, but if the end/side windows were cut leaving just the small panel, ie if the top and bottom arms of the window frame are removed, I reckon they can be made to fit a Bachmann tram as well.

Cheers

Martin

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
If he was happy to release the files, I would be more than happy to print them. I'd do this for cost, plus whatever licence fee the designer would like.

I think they would work well in resin, as this gives a similar appearance to the plastic body once printed, without too much in the way of sanding or filling.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’m afraid he won’t release the files, which I can understand really.

Cheers
Martin