Bachmann trams

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
HAS THIS STREAM RUN DRY??

I was hoping to indulge myself with some ends in the New Year....

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
My 3D CAD friend we receive a Bachmann model tomorrow, I'll ask how long he thinks it'll take to draw something up and let folks know.

Reactions: 1 user

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
HAS THIS STREAM RUN DRY??

I was hoping to indulge myself with some ends in the New Year....
….and I’m expecting the prototype enclosed front end for LGB trams sometime next week all being well. I’ll report back when they arrive.
Cheers
Martin

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Martin
Firstly, I’m now getting over the worst (hopefully) of covid! This has laid me low for a bit, but I’m slowly getting back on my feet and doing little jobs in the workshop.
Ok, the first prototype for the Bachmann front has arrived and is of extremely good quality indeed. The problem being that it’s based on the LGB screen and consequently is too wide. I’m working on making a converted mock-up, and I can send the result back to see if the original drawings can be modified. This is prototype1.
Prototypes 2 & 3 are being worked on by another designer who has had a tram minus motor block sent to him so he can measure everything correctly. The two prototypes will be a 3 bay windscreen that will simply push into the gap between the roof and the current dash panel, and a full front with three bay screen and side panel with screen which will be either handed for those who want the entrance/exit on the same side at either end or reversible so the entrance/exit can be on either side at each end. The latter will include a light housing and I plan for this to be a straight swap for the current Bachmann front, being held in place by the screw and clip that is used in the current model set up.
All of this will take a bit of time as it has to be right, as will the final price, which I’m aiming to be as close to cost as I can get it.
Cheers
Martin

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Firstly, I’m now getting over the worst (hopefully) of covid! This has laid me low for a bit, but I’m slowly getting back on my feet and doing little jobs in the workshop.
Ok, the first prototype for the Bachmann front has arrived and is of extremely good quality indeed. The problem being that it’s based on the LGB screen and consequently is too wide. I’m working on making a converted mock-up, and I can send the result back to see if the original drawings can be modified. This is prototype1.
Prototypes 2 & 3 are being worked on by another designer who has had a tram minus motor block sent to him so he can measure everything correctly. The two prototypes will be a 3 bay windscreen that will simply push into the gap between the roof and the current dash panel, and a full front with three bay screen and side panel with screen which will be either handed for those who want the entrance/exit on the same side at either end or reversible so the entrance/exit can be on either side at each end. The latter will include a light housing and I plan for this to be a straight swap for the current Bachmann front, being held in place by the screw and clip that is used in the current model set up.
All of this will take a bit of time as it has to be right, as will the final price, which I’m aiming to be as close to cost as I can get it.
Cheers
Martin
Glad you have recovered and back on this project.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Glad you have recovered and back on this project.
Not quite Jon…still very much under the weather:sick:

The pics show the modified mock up of Prototype 1. This was ordered to see how much modification an LGB screen would need. It will now be returned with the suitable mod details added to the designer and a second set ordered. It does look a lot better with its full front screen…even though it’s not glazed, not painted and not fully secured within the body.
Points to note are the original dash needs to have the top clips (3) and curved brass wire removing, and the handbrake handle needs replacing with a wheel type brake arrangement, unless you feel you can get away with the handle type.
This is only a mock up and is certainly WIP!
Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• IMG_7944.jpeg
    IMG_7944.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7943.jpeg
    IMG_7943.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite Jon…still very much under the weather:sick:

The pics show the modified mock up of Prototype 1. This was ordered to see how much modification an LGB screen would need. It will now be returned with the suitable mod details added to the designer and a second set ordered. It does look a lot better with its full front screen…even though it’s not glazed, not painted and not fully secured within the body.
Points to note are the original dash needs to have the top clips (3) and curved brass wire removing, and the handbrake handle needs replacing with a wheel type brake arrangement, unless you feel you can get away with the handle type.
This is only a mock up and is certainly WIP!
Cheers
Martin
Sorry should have said ‘on the road to recovery’. Trams face looking very good.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry should have said ‘on the road to recovery’. Trams face looking very good.
Thanks Jon,

Protoypes 2,3 & 4…yes, there is now another one, are in the final drawing stages and are looking superb. These are based on the Soller trams and might well be the ones I will go for.
More later.
Cheers

Martin

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
Cheers
Martin
Sounds very promising Martin. Hope you get better soon.
Scott aka tramwayknowledge

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Also how are you feeling now?

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the posts, yes, I’m improving but it’s lingering a lot…one day good, next day…

Anyway, onto the vestibules and dash screens.

I’m just finalising the left hand door vestibule prototypes, and I’m waiting for the dash/windscreen prototypes to come back from the printers.

So, it should all be ready very soon. There was a error which needed rectifying on the left hand door models, which has now been sorted.

There will be three basic types of vestibule, hex front, round front and round front with arched windows. These will be available with left or right handed doors, in pairs of your choice. A sort of pick and mix… so you can have a pair of lefts, or a pair of rights or one of each. It’s probably easier to show than describe.

The dash/windscreen will be of the same three type of dash as the vestibule. I did experiment with using a modified LGB screen and original Bachmann dash, but it just doesn’t look right.

They are being printed in grey resin, which has been UV stabilised and will only need a minimal of fettling before painting. There will need to be a small amount of drilling through the existing Bachmann cab floor to secure the vestibule/fronts to the tram.

The pics show the original test prints attached to a tram, and some of the finished grey resin prints, which are of far better quality as can be seen.
IMG_7966.jpeg
Low quality test print of a Round front right hand door vestibule.

IMG_7956.jpeg
Low quality test print of a right hand door hex front vestibule.

IMG_7968.jpeg
Final grey resin print of a right hand door hex front vestibule.

IMG_7969.jpeg

More news very soon…
Cheers

Martin

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Martin,
Are the doors a separate piece?

PhilP

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil,
No, they are printed with the vestibule. The dash/screen version has no doors.
If open doors are required for the vestibules, then they can be cut and positioned as open, making sure you have taken safety procedures when cutting or drilling the resin piece as ingesting resin dust is certainly not good for your health.

Cheers

Martin

borsig1963

Registered
26 Oct 2016
Italy
Best answers
Country flag
sorry Martin, I don't remember the origin of the project, do yoo draw and print it your sefl or do you give the job to other people? thank

pz

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

I‘ve had them designed for me and arranged with a local printer to work with me on this project. When ready, I will make them available to GSC members, virtually at cost. I’m not intending to make anything from this, just cover the costs of design, printing, p&p. All items will be sold in pairs and made to order. I’m not going to hold any stock. If there are no takers, then I have some unique Bachmann trams/trailers…;)

Cheers
Martin

Last edited:

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
How about a doors-on-both-sides option for those who are modelling bi-directional trams?

View attachment 322923
Hi,

Yes, this will be covered by the Dash/screen versions. In effect, they will be the same as the vestibules, only without doors and side pieces. They will look a lot better than sticking a modified LGB windscreen on top of the original Bachman dash, but they will be in one piece.

Cheers

Martin

IMG_8005.jpeg

Prototype and modified LGB screen sat on top of original dash panel. It’s not a great fit and the one piece front will look a lot better.

IMG_8006.jpeg