Bachmann Thomas & Friends Milk Tanker Bearing Spare

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've got at Bachmann Thomas & Friends Milk Tanker which has lost one of it's bearings. On the tankers it is a small plastic bearing which fits into the metal axel 'block'. Interestingly on my troublesome trucks there is no plastic bearing - the axel blocks have a smaller hole and the axel simply runs in that hole. So I guess another option would be to replace these axel 'block' plates.
I've had a look at the Bachmann spares website, but they don't seem to list much for the rolling stock.
Does anyone know where I might find a replacement?

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Here’s a picture of two axel blocks. 63A03D3B-DDD8-4907-B25A-34ADA5C97A8C.jpegThe one on the left has the plastic bearing, the one on the right is missing it!

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
Surely a good candidate for 3D printing? If you don't have a suitable 3D printer, then PM me and I'll see what I can do. Alternatively, I might be able to turn one out of a piece of brass rod.

G.

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Surely a good candidate for 3D printing? If you don't have a suitable 3D printer, then PM me and I'll see what I can do. Alternatively, I might be able to turn one out of a piece of brass rod.

G.
This is a very kind offer, thank you. I don’t have a 3D printer (yet), but could certainly drawn the part up in tinkercad. I’ll just wait and see if there are any spares suggestions. But if not I may we’ll take up up on this. Thanks again.

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
If you can draw it in Tinkercad, I'd be happy to print a few for you - just let me know.

Gordon

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Just to update this thread. I’ve been a bit busy continuing the coach build (on another thread) and various non-railway matters too!
First thanks again to Gordon for the kind offer of printing a spare. However I think I’ve found a solution.
I found what I think was the old bearing - a part that I manufactured myself from lots of pieces of plasticard ply-ed together to form a bearing. I guess it must have fallen out.
16BF4087-A402-47C5-B903-C91499F95B9B.jpegBut the fit didn’t feel too good, so before tinkering a new one I thought I’d have a quick check to see if one can buy small bearings of the correct size. The axels are 4mm - bigger than I would use in my builds and there didn’t seem to be any from the railway suppliers, however Amazon turned up loads of ball bearings in may sizes - including one that fitted for me. 4mm inner, 7 mm outer. Inexpensive so I ordered some.
41D30936-D559-4634-9FA0-64114CE62308.jpeg
The fit is tight on both axel and holder, but then the axel spins freely within the bearing. The wheelset no longer moves side to side as all the Thomas stuff does, but I don’t think that will be an issue. Just because of the method of fitting it might be tricky to get a pair of these in - one each end, but for a single replacement it seems fine so far. I’ll report back if extensive testing reveals any issues, but in the meantime I think I’ve got a fix.
CAB25B5F-1513-413C-BF24-EB1604AEEE25.jpegDiscovering the many ball bearing bushes available is also most interesting food for thought.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag