Bachmann Percy

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The two Bachmann Thomas series locos in my stable, Percy and Toby are a delight to watch. It's a pity bachmann chose not to put a better motor in these beauties.

For some odd reason, the "Attach Files" tab isn't cooperating at the moment. So let's do this another way.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Toby has always been a favourite of mine. I keep toying with buying one but as they only seem to do an analog version by the time I add in a decoder with sound, speaker, etc. it gets pretty pricey for a novelty engine. Maybe once I’ve sold some surplus track I‘ll have enough spare cash to get one.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Toby has always been a favourite of mine. I keep toying with buying one but as they only seem to do an analog version by the time I add in a decoder with sound, speaker, etc. it gets pretty pricey for a novelty engine. Maybe once I’ve sold some surplus track I‘ll have enough spare cash to get one.
Pretty easy loco to scratch build if you want one. Stainz chassis and boiler give you a good start.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm. I have a couple of venerable Stainz locos knocking about; maybe I could buy the Bachman analog model and transplant the body (I have zero modelling skills so making a body from scratch isn’t an option for me).

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
You could buy a Toby body $43:26 from Bachmann parts USA (+ tax and post +uk duty) for your Stainz conversion

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hm, some food for thought. Toby doesn't have factory installed sound but Percy does. I wonder how feasible it would be to install a Stainz motor block in a Percy body ? Would the sound still be active ? Guess taking apart Percy would be the only way to determine if any of this is possible.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The sound units are OEM from Soundtraxx, a crippled version of a Tsunami:

P1020266.JPG

Greg