Bachmann Jackson Sharpe coupling convertion

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
In accordance with the ruling Rule 8 on my railway, all couplings on home trains will conform to Accucraft Z2 design!

The recent purchase (Ok it was bloody ages ago really! :oops:) of five Bachmann Jackson Sharpe coaches to run behind my Avatar, meant I had been waiting for a supply of said Z2s for some time. The change over is really easy! Remove the bogies, change the wheel set, most were plastic, remove all traces of existing lighting feeds and pick-ups. If you're a bit squeamish then you can strip the bogie bolster out, I didn't bother, I just cut the end of the horn off with a razor-saw

Jackson Sharpe (13) (600 x 450).jpg

- so!

Jackson Sharpe (14) (600 x 450).jpg

Sorry about the OoF.

Jackson Sharpe (11) (600 x 450).jpg

I bent up a piece of bronze sheet (brass or copper will do just as well, I just happened to have some PB. left over from a job some 30 years ago) 25mm x 25mm. Drilled a 3mm hole 3.2 mm from the fold (measured inside) for fixing with the original screw.

Jackson Sharpe (9) (600 x 450).jpg

Then to set the correct height (always a fear!!!), clipped the new coupling, carefully lined up, to one on existing stock and carefully marked along the top of it on the new bracket. Removed it all and marked out the mounting holes and drilled them 1.5mm and tapped them 2mm and re-assembled.

Jackson Sharpe (10) (600 x 450).jpg

The position takes the 'box' part almost under the sole-plate of the coach so gives a much shorter coupling than is seen on Accu stock. They will probably be removed and sprayed matt black.

I used the Work-mate set to 45mm as rail but real rail could also be used.

(note the C&^£ up to the rear!!!) Never mind, I've got a few more to make yet! Only four more to go! :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Reactions: 3 users

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Jackson Sharpe (26) (600 x 450).jpg

Having fitted them all I had to try the couplings. The coaches are still a little further apart than one might prefer, but everything lined up nicely and it all negotiated a full reverse curve and multiple points (turnouts) without incident.

One bonus of the new Accu couplings, with weights, is that two fingers inserted underneath and lift the weights, and it uncouples sweetly. :clap::clap:

Reactions: 1 users