Bachmann DCC Dynamis

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All, is the Bachmann Dynamis wireless controller compatible with the LGB MTS chips?

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
The Dynamis DCC system is NMRA compliant. Are the LGB MTS chips?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a second hand Dynamis System some time back. I use it in my loft where I do most of my work on trains. As the loft is 2 flights of stairs from the railway, the system has seen much use in testing out new chip installations. It is not happy with long plays of double motored locomotives, but then as it is only rated at 2.5 amps this is to be expected. Especially as such tests are likely to have 2 or 3 locomotive with sound chips burbling away in the loft at any one time. Cut outs are to be expected. I write this having just run up those 2 flights of stairs to check out the spec.

I would suggest that it is OK for a couple small (Stainz) type locomotives. However if you want more it is possible to get a higher rated system. But I cannot comment on this. As for changing CV Values, I mostly at first only need to change the locomotive address. The Dynamis copes well enough with LGB Chips in this respect, but Massoth are totally immune to its gentle sweet talk.

Hope this helps a bit
JonD

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
Massoth are totally immune to its gentle sweet talk.

What do you mean Jon?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The Dynamis is not able to update the CV to change the locomotive address (well my one will not), I think that this is probably a situation that applies with the later Massoth Chips in that they are more advanced with the locomotive address. I have had problems with these on my LGB System and now resort to my Gaugemaster System to update them. Yes I know I need a sprog, when I am happy that one will work with my Mac I will get one. In the meantime I struggle on with my old PC coupled to the LGB System, when it goes belly up (the PC that is) then I guess that I will have to move on.
JonD

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
I have a Dynamis system with a booster which gives me 7.5 amps and seems to be enough to run some large American diesels. John is correct in that bright lights are a real problem which is no trouble during a cold grey day in Winter but I like to run my trains on sunny summer days.
I effectively have to have the transmitter close coupled to the receiver in the shade for it to work outdoors on those occasions.

Because of that I will be upgrading when I have gathered enough sheckels but otherwise it is a great system. It's made for Bachmann by ESU who have their own version, shades of LGB & Massoth, which includes a true European compliant wireless cab. However I have no experience of it, nor heard from anyone who has. I noted the other day that Jeremy is now offering it on his web site.

I am really surprised that Jon is having difficulty with programming loco addresses since they ought to be the most NRMA compliant cv's there are in any chip. I would be very interested in other people's experiences.

I have to say that for the price the Sprog is a great device although the software is slow and often counter intuitive in it's use, but then it is free.

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
So you think this Dynamis is a no go? Shame really as it has a really good price tag, and looks really attractive... Gutted :(

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Dylanlewis2000 said:
So you think this Dynamis is a no go? Shame really as it has a really good price tag, and looks really attractive... Gutted :(

Similar to Graham, I use the Dynamis system with a booster and it works a treat. I have never had any problems programming LGB, Massoth, Zimo or Dietz chips. In contrast to LGB MTS, for example, Dynamis is also able to programme four digit CVs (important for some sound chips). Programming on the main, i.e. you do not need a separate programming track and can programme locos individually on the layout, works absolutely fine. Great piece of kit and cheap from Hattons.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
With regard to my CV programs. I only had problems with a Massoth Chip. But I have also recently got a new Bachman class 20 in OO that I wanted to change to the Locomotive Number. I had problems with this too. Now it is probably me not having the patience to do it.

As for the system itself, I think that it is good value for money. My comments re G were related to the 2.5amp basoic system. With a booster (daylight issues remembered) I see no reason why it should not be a good G option.
JonD

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
I tried a Hornby Elite & Bachmann Booster (5amp) combination, and that would control LGB MTS locos. The Hornby Elite has the ability to change CV values and reset chips to their factory settings. Hope of help if you choose to go down an alternative route. Alyn

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
I have a Dynamis system which is not used primarily for my G scale locos BUT
I did try it out of curiosity and I was surprised to find that it worked jsut as well as my MTS system... granted I did not run more than 2 locos at a time, However I dont usually run more than 2 with the MTS!!

I also found that I had no problems using the dynamis to programe the loco decoders, I did not experience any problems with LGB factory fitted decoders, ones tha I had fitted myself or Massoth decoders

But I personally would not rely on the Dynamis for everyday running of a garden line, as the infra red communication is not 100% reliable outdoors, it is possible to upgrade the system to a RADIO control system but that adds to the cost.

Personally I would recommend MTS or Massoth ( but of course these are expensive) there are quite a few being offered on the S/H market currently as some G scalers seem to be selling up!,