In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Fello G Train Enthusiasts!

I use the Bachmann Big Hauler Loco Chassis 81093 replacement "Annie"/Anniversary to upgrade my Bachmann Big Haulers. I also use it to kitbash other engines etc. I know that Bachmann gets ridiculed a lot by some G modelers but I do think that the Annie is pretty detailed and runs well for the price.

I bought 3 last year and I have noticed that they no longer appear to be available on the Bachmann website. Does anybody here have any information as to why?

Enjoy our hobby as much as possible! AJ the TeacherBachmann Annie.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like all the chassis with the nice valve gear are sold out.

Realize that most parts are made in irregularly timed batches, and chassis are only made during a production run of locos.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Is it likely they might replace with the new Annie chassis with the improved geartrain, at a higher cost ? Or is the older one such a money spinner that they will continue with the old tooling ? If the latter might be worth waiting. Max

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Closer attention please, only the ones with the Walcherts valve gear are out of stock (most purchased). They have plenty of the Stephenson ones.

It is not the version of the gearbox.

And what I said should be paid attention to, we understand more of the inner workings of parts stocking and manufacture for Kader. It has not really changed over the years. True for Aristo, USA Trains, Bachmann.

The replacement units were normally 5th generation, 6th only in new products. There is plenty of historical evidence that they will be sure to sell out of all the 5th gen stuff before the 6th is made available as parts.

Greg

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like all the chassis with the nice valve gear are sold out.

Realize that most parts are made in irregularly timed batches, and chassis are only made during a production run of locos.

Greg
Thanks Greg! AJ the Teacher

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
And what I said should be paid attention to, we understand more of the inner workings of parts stocking and manufacture for Kader. It has not really changed over the years. True for Aristo, USA Trains, Bachmann.

The replacement units were normally 5th generation, 6th only in new products. There is plenty of historical evidence that they will be sure to sell out of all the 5th gen stuff before the 6th is made available as parts.

Greg

Just posing a question Greg. Although I did get mixed up with which version it might be worth waiting for, I meant former not latter. And what's with the "royal we" ? Max

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There is a lot more to the story, backing up what I said. Wanted to imply that it was not just me getting to the bottom of parts manufacture cycles and rules, several of us took several manufacturers to the task and drilled down until we got the truth.

When we finally got basically identical explanations, and traced it back to the greatest power (cost to the distributor) we knew we had cracked the code.

Note that Bachmann, USA Trains, and Aristo are NOT manufacturers, they are distributors of OEM products.

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Note that Bachmann, USA Trains, and Aristo are NOT manufacturers, they are distributors of OEM products.

Greg
Greg, for my benefit, they receive the fully assembled items, and just distribute, or do they do some assembly.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, none of the 3 distributors above do any assembly.

Aristo and USAT are/were independent companies, although they handled warranty work themselves, not uncommon that they were shipped a few extra locos for the inevitable defects.

Bachmann is a bit different in that they are wholly owned by Kader, the manufacturer.

There used to be a company called Sanda Kan who made USAT and Aristo, but Kader bought them (and fired the majority of the Sanda Kan work force).

Bachmann has to do what Kader says, so it's really not an independent company, like USAT and the other smaller companies that Kader sells to.

By the way, Aristo made a deal with Kader on the molds for most of their products, in that Aristo spent less for the molds, but Kader retained ownership. (USAT owns their molds, as well as LGB)

So, this is how Bachmann can offer products that were originally Aristo, like the eggliner, aristo couplers, the Evans box car, and the Dash 9.

Interesting stuff, some of the information had to be extracted with pliers ha ha!

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, in response to AJ's original post, there is another version of the 4-6-0 with updated electronics coming / arrived (I haven't kept up to be truthful) and so, in time, there will be some more spare chassis on the parts website, but it'll probably take a while.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So, this is how Bachmann can offer products that were originally Aristo, like the eggliner, aristo couplers, the Evans box car, and the Dash 9.
Now there's interesting..

So Theoretically, 'someone' could go to Kader, and say make me a run of (what was) the Aristocraft <insert model-name>?
:wondering::devil:

I wonder what the minimum order would be?
:think:

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Now there's interesting..

So Theoretically, 'someone' could go to Kader, and say make me a run of (what was) the Aristocraft <insert model-name>?
:wondering::devil:

I wonder what the minimum order would be?
:think:

PhilP
The drawback is that if Aristo couldn't sell 'em, how would someone else.

Kader / Bachmann have been highly picky from the old Aristo line - I mean eggliners?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, that has been done, effectively, Bachmann told Kader they could sell eggliners, evans box cars and dash 9's.

From historical information, the minimum runs seem to be 500 on locomotives, but I do know of someone that did a 500 piece run of rolling stock in two 250 piece deliveries.... not known if they were 2 production runs, or just 2 shipments. (I know the customer who ordered these).

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Note that USA Trains does do the printing on some of the rolling stock here in Massachusetts USA.