Baby's Tears (mind your own business)....doesn't it grow fast!!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I had placed a little patch of `Baby`s tears` near to the harbour. It grew steadily to cover the places that I had intended but it always needs a bot of `pruning` to keep it to the areas that I want.

We went away for five days and apparently the weather was, well...wet...while we were away.
On return I found that the plant had spread up the sides of buildings, across the steps up to the track level and partially across the tracks. Quite a growth for five days!

harbour scene copy.JPG

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
I got banned from using Baby's Tears at our last address and the ban still holds good here,

But seriously its OK if you cut it back on a very regular basis, but once you forget and let it grow unhindered it can really grow everywhere very quickly!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
No good trying to contain it within a border then? Something like a strip of copper or brass pressed into the ground. Looks like the sort of cover that I could use, but without the constant trimming.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wish I could get it to grow in NW Florida!

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Contrary plant! I gathered some samples from Cornwall a few weeks back and tried to get it to take in some pots here (to be contained) but not a single clump survived, despite a variety of positions, watering regimes etc. And the wretched blackbirds insist on digging it up, which doesn't help.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
It needs to be damp and not too much shade....just like in my photo....then it simply rockets!

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
G-force1 said:
No good trying to contain it within a border then? Something like a strip of copper or brass pressed into the ground. Looks like the sort of cover that I could use, but without the constant trimming.
Also known, I think, as Mind Your Own Business - trying to contain it within a border just won't work as it'll simply climb up and over and carry on growing. I agree with Mike - it needs some damp and some shade. To grow some in new areas, I simply pull some up, place it where I want it, sprinkle with some soil and give it a watering and about 50% will take.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
ViaEstrecha said:
Contrary plant! I gathered some samples from Cornwall a few weeks back and tried to get it to take in some pots here (to be contained) but not a single clump survived, despite a variety of positions, watering regimes etc. And the wretched blackbirds insist on digging it up, which doesn't help.

I believe you live in or near Luton. Have to say I had no problems with it growing when I lived in Leagrave, same in my current Garden. But I always tend to put it in Light Shade first letting it spread to Sunny Area's if it wants to. Also perhaps it may have already got too dry when you tried planting it. Then it will never take.

If you are ever in the St.Neots area. Call in and I will give you a couple of "Plugs" to plant. What these will be is a bit taken out of a bed with my Bulb Planter. These when planted in your Garden 'Light Shady Area first' can then be allowed to grow a patch to transport in a similar way when established.
JonD

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
If you are ever in the St.Neots area. Call in and I will give you a couple of "Plugs" to plant. What these will be is a bit taken out of a bed with my Bulb Planter. These when planted in your Garden 'Light Shady Area first' can then be allowed to grow a patch to transport in a similar way when established.
JonD

It is typical that I have trouble with a plant that a lot of people hate because it grows too well! I will take you up on your kind offer the next time I pass on a trip to Cambridge, thanks! :happy:

I have had more success with Arenaria balearica, which is similar, though it spreads and then seems to leave a dead patch in the centre, which can be unsightly. Least problematic of course are the artificial grass tiles from the local DIY store when I visit Spain, but I concede that's cheating!
grasstile.jpg

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I wondered if perhaps copper/brass might have an electrical effect in the damp soil.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Interesting. I tried to grow this 4 years ago and the first winter was really hard. Never saw it again. In the last week it has re-appeared everywhere!!

It must be ideal MYOB weather!

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
Interesting. I tried to grow this 4 years ago and the first winter was really hard. Never saw it again. In the last week it has re-appeared everywhere!!

It must be ideal MYOB weather!
Likewise. 1 st year died a death, 2 years later reappeared and is now flourishing in the shady area under the Magnolia and ferns. Max.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I only wish I could find some. No-one seems to have it around here.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
3Valve said:

I'll post you some if you like Gareth!

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Google is all well and good but I want to find it locally and support my local garden centres, plus I'd be able view the actual plant(s) and select/collect myself.

Only local offering from Google was Ludlow plant centre. Guess what, been there, no joy.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
3Valve said:
Got mine from a customer I was delivering to from a path at the side of their house. Asked their permission, "Take it all.....Please !". Divided and planted it in a number of areas . It didn't take first year but 2 years later it was back with a vengance in the shady damp place under the magnolia. Max.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just ripped a section out from another area so if you want it Gareth... can post it in plastic bag inside packet if you wish....

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
It's very fickle this thing isn't it. My experience of it failing then appearing everywhere seems to ring true. But it must grow underground when not even showing leaf over a period of years???

Mine disappeared for years than reappeared in an 8 foot square zone centred on the original (very small plant) I don't get how that works- no photosythesis for years but still grows????

Gareth, if you are ever my way and want to run, you can take some "infected" ballast.... :happy: I like it, as long as it doesn't go garden wide.