Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It has a pivoting rear engine so it would still benefit the weight distribution of the boiler being on the inside when going around curves similar to a 'real' Garratt.
A Mallet has the boiler on the rear engine drivers rather than hung between the two engines as in a Garratt or the Union Garratt.
The only difference with a Union Garratt is that the rear bunker does not swivel with the rear engine. It's just an extension of the central boiler/cab part.

Last edited:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Are these just 0-4-0+0-4-0 then? I suppose six would be possible, but pony trucks as well might be difficult.

I certainly like to concept.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Are these just 0-4-0+0-4-0 then? I suppose six would be possible, but pony trucks as well might be difficult.
I certainly like to concept.

The Australian standard gauge AD-60 Garratts were 4-8-4+4-8-4. The largest ones were in South Africa on 3'6" 'cape' gauge.
Below is old footage of AD-60 class double headed, laboring up a bank. Aster made a live steam model of it.
Click half way to get to the action. Awesome stuff!

South African 4-8-2+2-8-4 Garratts running on 3'6" gauge. More awesome stuff!

I do believe I have now achieved thread drift.

Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The Australian standard gauge AD-60 Garratts were 4-8-4+4-8-4. The largest ones were in South Africa on 3'6" 'cape' gauge.
Below is old footage of AD-60 class double headed, laboring up a bank. Aster made a live steam model of it.
Click half way to get to the action. Awesome stuff!

South African 4-8-2+2-8-4 Garratts running on 3'6" gauge. More awesome stuff!

I do believe I have now achieved thread drift.

I'm well aware of the other sizes/wheel arrangements, having spent my early youth in the 'Land of the Garratt' and actually watched these monsters at real work. I meant these particular ones. Thread back on track? :rock::giggle::giggle::giggle:

(see my Avatar! Front end NGG16).

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I'm well aware of the other sizes/wheel arrangements, having spent my early youth in the 'Land of the Garratt' and actually watched these monsters at real work. I meant these particular ones. Thread back on track? :rock::giggle::giggle::giggle:
(see my Avatar! Front end NGG16).

Ah ha! Yes it looks like they did make bigger Union Garratts.

"The Modified Fairlies and the Union Garratt variations of it were not successful and they suffered from the same shortcomings. On the Union Garratt, as on the Modified Fairlie, the frame was also prone to metal fatigue and cracking brought about by the long frame overhang at the rear beyond the engine unit's pivot centre. The overhang, laden with the coal bunker of which more than 80% extended beyond the rear pivot centre, was subjected to severe vertical vibration while the locomotive was in motion and this led to structural weakening of the frame over time.
In addition, the rear pivot bearings were subject to quite rapid wear since they carried a considerable additional vertical load compared to those on a purebred Garratt. As was the case with the Modified Fairlie, this required increased frequency of maintenance and, as a consequence, increased operating cost."

South African Class U 2-6-2+2-6-2 - Wikipedia

1327px-Garratt_Lokomotive_Baureihe_U_s%C3%BCdafrikanische_Eisenbahn.jpg

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
TBH, there seems little point for a loco of any real size and full garratting must be better, but for smaller stuff I'd have thought it a good idea.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I did wonder about the weight of all that coal hanging back over the pivot point. The tiny Garratts would not be so critical. It probably gives them better utilization of space by not having the rear articulation.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the model is very nice so we are back on track but it was an interesting and informative diversion!

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I did wonder about the weight of all that coal hanging back over the pivot point. The tiny Garratts would not be so critical. It probably gives them better utilization of space by not having the rear articulation.

Still need flexible steam connections though, they can be bulky.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Did you, by any chance, take any build photo's?

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Did you, by any chance, take any build photo's?

found these when originally built and undergoing tests, there is a large amount of lead over each sets of wheels. Ottos don,t have tyres which reduces their hauling capacity. As you can see much use of plasticard but I try to use as much of the original body as possibleIMG_20170413_152537 _Copy_.jpgIMG_20170413_152602 _Copy_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. :)
PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well done! Can I please have your Ottograph mister?
The LGB Toy Trains are a little on the wussy side so a X2 version will get things chugging along much better.
I actually have a spare Otto around somewhere... :think:

Although different, these little Garratts in Argentina intrigue me. Only about 7.5 mtrs long an 1.6 meters wide. (Note they only have two articulated sections rather than the Garratt's three )

Modern Steam Photos

fcaf-locos-dec2006.jpg
I think they pivot front and back like a proper Beyer Garrat (don't see how they'd stay on the rails otherwise)

If you look at this shot, it looks as if the rear bunker sits inside a housing / cut out in the cab. I think they're right down in the south of Argentina near Punta Arenas.

1549538326616.png

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk