Baby Garrett

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Okay this one's been on the back burner for while now so I finally got my finger out to finish it......................:)

IMG_20181022_100118 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20181022_100134 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20181022_100156 (Copy).jpg

Reactions: 17 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That's one of the best I've seen - nice proportions :clap::clap:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sweet!
:):clap::clap::clap::)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
:clap::clap::clap:........:clap::clap::clap:

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Well done that man...
Otto never looked so good...:clap::clap::clap:

Kurt Ubl

KURT
3 Mar 2017
Tenerife ES
Best answers
Country flag
Wonderful, congratulations, best Babygarrat I've ever seen!

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
I like that dead cute !!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
A little cracker:clap::clap::clap:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Now I've gotten the impetus to do something with MY two spare Otti!! That is one sweet little, and believable, locomotive!!!

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Well done! Can I please have your Ottograph mister?
The LGB Toy Trains are a little on the wussy side so a X2 version will get things chugging along much better.
I actually have a spare Otto around somewhere... :think:

Although different, these little Garratts in Argentina intrigue me. Only about 7.5 mtrs long an 1.6 meters wide. (Note they only have two articulated sections rather than the Garratt's three )

Modern Steam Photos

fcaf-locos-dec2006.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB Toy Trains are a little on the wussy side so a X2 version will get things chugging along much better.

Although different, these little Garratts in Argentina intrigue me. Only about 7.5 mtrs long an 1.6 meters wide. (Note they only have two articulated sections rather than the Garratt's three )

Modern Steam Photos

fcaf-locos-dec2006.jpg
Interesting little beasties. I think they may have developed a New Loco Type as Garrett is probably not the right name for these I feel, perhaps ‘2 section Gattetts ‘for the time being may work well. I feel a controversial letter comming on to the Steam Railway Press.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I think they are called Union Garretts if the boiler firebox and coal bunker are joined.

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
If anyone is interested in a load for a HO flatcar. The little red Argentinian Garratt Zubieta is available on eBay as a static model on a removable plinth, 9mm gauge. Reasonably sharp detail for only a few dollars delivered from China.
There is also the Darjeeling B class weird thing and 2 European diseasels.
They would even make nice cake decorations for train lovers. :party:

Oh gee! Only 1 Zubieta left.
Nostalgic Train model ntm0102 ARGENTINA No.2 Ing. Zubieta | eBay

I'm glad I snapped a few up now. These opportunities come then go for good.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag

Modern Steam Photos

fcaf-locos-dec2006.jpg

The single articulation must restrict the turn radius considerably, but definitely an interesting concept. Must have been done before as nothing is new under the sun, but what it should be called escapes me. Union Garratt could be right.

Another thought, are the rear trucks(?) pivoted under the chassis? That would improve the turning Radius quite a bit.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Whar's the source of the Argentinian 'Garratt' picture? :think:

If could find more pictures, without a loco in the way, it may answer some of the questions..

Wicked-pedia helps a little:

Modified Fairlie locomotives[edit]
The Modified Fairlie was first introduced in South Africa, when the South African Railways (SAR) experimented with a modified type of Fairlie locomotive in order to compare the concept to that of the Garratt locomotive in terms of actual performance and maintenance requirements. In essence, the Modified Fairlie was an adaptation of the Kitson-Meyer concept. It was similar in appearance to a Garratt, but with the boiler, cab, coal and water bunkers all mounted on a single rigid frame which pivoted on the engine units, with the pivot centers located approximately at the centre of the rigid wheelbase of each engine unit. In the Garratt design, by comparison, the coal and water bunkers are mounted directly on the engine units and swivel with them, while the boiler, firebox and cab are mounted on a rigid frame which is suspended between the two engine units.[3][4][5][6]

Union Garratt locomotives[edit]
The Union Garratt was a hybrid locomotive, part Garratt and part Modified Fairlie, designed and built for the SAR by Maffei in Munich, Germany. The front end of the locomotive was of a typical Garratt arrangement, with a water tank mounted on the front engine unit’s frame, while the rear end was constructed in the Modified Fairlie fashion, with the coal bunker mounted on a rigid extension of the locomotive’s main frame and with the pivoting rear engine unit positioned beneath the coal bunker.[3][4

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
If it has a fixed rear power unit and a swivelling front one, isn't it basically the same as a Mallet, apart from the front-mounted water tank location?

Jon.

EDIT: hadn't seen Phil's post above when I wrote my post, that answers the question!

Last edited: