Automatic Reversing Loop?

Mobi

Registered
21 Jul 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I thought LGB 10151 would have been required if using track power.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I tried and it worked! Although it works fine with new points it was bit hit and miss with older (used buy) points where I guess spring was not strong enough.

Were both the points manually operated? If the one that worked better was a manually operated one and the other, older one, was an electrically operated one, then in the second case the spring is having to overcome the resistance of the motor when it returns to its original position (or that's what I understand from the LGB literature).

If both are manual, then maybe the older one needs a clean. The black piece of plastic between the rails just pulls off. See if the mechanism is dirty and, if it is carefully clean it with a cotton wool bud. If that doesn't help, carefully unscrew the black plastic cover over the lever and, without taking the insides out, very carefully clean inside there with a cotton wool bud and then replace the cover.

If it's electrically operated, I'd leave it alone,

(Any advice is followed at your own risk.)

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I have three manually sprung points on main junction locations on my railway. The trains just push through as pre-set.

Some of the points have been out 10 years - I spray them with WD 40 twice a year at pivot and contact plate positions to make sure they spring back to position every time.
Don't run a train until the WD40 has dried though if you don't want wheel spin.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Do you use any springing Paul?

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Only what LGB fit to their manual points Alan.
18 of my points are operated by motors - they all get the WD 40 treatment too.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hows it make life better if not using track power? - You can do this if using track power - Its got nothing to do with electrickery running through the rails - a sprung point that is......

But not shorting out your supply, if you just plug a loop together has..
Remember Mobi is new to all this, and has chosen battery R/C to keep things 'building block' simple.