Aristocraft remote control button fix?

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
My old but beloved Aristocraft remote control is acting up. A couple of buttons don't work anymore or only work after the train has smashed into EOL. For example, the 'right' direction button does only work ... well... it doesn't anymore.

new_te_tx.jpg

So I opened it up and discovered a bunch of micro switches. What if I swap a couple of the 'never used' switches (for the buttons A to F) with the 'worn out' ones? It looks like an easy solder job..?

Or are there other ways to get life into the worn out ones?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not too difficult a solder-job.. - Try not to get too much heat, for too long on the board.

I have found getting the 'mechanicals' to line-up, to be more troublesome than the soldering.

PhilP.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting. Like you I have my beloved Aristo' TE. I have bough a back up unit, the whole TX/RX, just in case. Do you have any pictures of what you are doing Henri ? What do you mean by EOL ? Max

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
EOL = End Of Line
(In this context, I think)

Here, it would normally be 'End Of Life'.. As in 'beyond repair'..

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I’ll take pictures.

EOL is indeed End of Life, but I did try to joke with End of Line....

Context, Dear Boy! Context! ;)

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Ahhhhrrggg!!! It is not the switches... I replaced one ‘known good’ but it does not solve the problem.
Also I measured the removed ‘dead’ switch and it measures electrically the same as the ‘known good’ switch.

So that must be the end of this remote control... Now what..? Can’t run trains now :-(