Aristo craft points

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
The Euro ? what's that ?

We still use good old British sterling here, chaps, and now that we have left the European Union, we'll be using the Great British pound for a good few years to come >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)
Bring back pre-decimal coinage, if only to totally flumux the app generation! :devil:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Bring back pre-decimal coinage, if only to totally flumux the app generation! :devil:
Don't jest - when I was an articled pupil, and undertaking my college studies, one of the required subjects was Quantity Surveying. The course had just changed to metric quantities, had I been a year or two earlier, I would have been condemned to working out quantities using the duo-decimal system. As there were 12 inches in a foot, there was a weird system for decimalising this and fortunately, I never had to try and understand it :whew::whew:

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Don't jest - when I was an articled pupil, and undertaking my college studies, one of the required subjects was Quantity Surveying. The course had just changed to metric quantities, had I been a year or two earlier, I would have been condemned to working out quantities using the duo-decimal system. As there were 12 inches in a foot, there was a weird system for decimalising this and fortunately, I never had to try and understand it :whew::whew:
You certainly dodged the bullet on that one, as I did too... Good ol' base 12. Possibly one of the most confusing numeric systems ever. I mean, come on; who thought that having the number 12 expressed as 10 was a good idea? Don't even get me started on the upside down 2 & 3... Completely bonkers...
Paul.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You certainly dodged the bullet on that one, as I did too... Good ol' base 12. Possibly one of the most confusing numeric systems ever. I mean, come on; who thought that having the number 12 expressed as 10 was a good idea? Don't even get me started on the upside down 2 & 3... Completely bonkers...
Paul.
I'm sure some of these " Good Ideas" stem from bored office staff who have missed their vocation as stand up comedians

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Paul.
Let us be honest base 8 or base 16 would have been the most sensible option for both the number system and the units of measurement.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Let us be honest base 8 or base 16 would have been the most sensible option for both the number system and the units of measurement.
Blame the Romans - if there had been two more digits between 9 & 10, then 10 would have been a far more useful number (divisible by 2, 3, 4 & 6 and the metric system could have worked well :):)

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Blame the Romans - if there had been two more digits between 9 & 10, then 10 would have been a far more useful number (divisible by 2, 3, 4 & 6 and the metric system could have worked well :):)
You don't happen to be one of those people with six fingers on each hand do you? ;) Just kidding...
Of course if it was up to the Simpson's, we'd probably be stuck with base 8.
as for me, If I need to do any complicated calculations, I have to take my shoes and socks off....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
We're still using yards and miles for road distances, not to mention chains on railways (look at any bridge plate even new ones).

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Is this thread drift, could be wrong but it does not have a lot to do with Aristo craft points :mask: :mask: :mask: :mask:
You ain't seen nothin' yet, baby

and as for six fingers, well it is Norfolk y'know and as Gizzy says, Gimme six!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is this thread drift, could be wrong but it does not have a lot to do with Aristo craft points :mask: :mask: :mask: :mask:
Oh! I don't know?

'Numbered' points, make no sense to me?? :wondering:o_O

Never managed to work out what people are going on about.. :(

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
You ain't seen nothin' yet, baby

and as for six fingers, well it is Norfolk y'know and as Gizzy says, Gimme six!
NFN, as GPs used to write on their reports....

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You're right, although changing track is the whole point!

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
My bad..! Just got a bit side tracked. Hmm... Side tracked. That's a bit closer to points at least... ;)
Stopping now...
Paul.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The poor OP of this thread asked for the part number of an Aristo Switch.... and while he was told many other things, this was never answered.

Then someone asked how to get reasonably priced switches, and we went off into the races about costs, Euro, other suppliers, etc.

Thread drift happened at post #4 and we are at #20..... the poor OP has probably drifted off somewhere else, he never resurfaced.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The poor OP of this thread asked for the part number of an Aristo Switch.... and while he was told many other things, this was never answered.

Then someone asked how to get reasonably priced switches, and we went off into the races about costs, Euro, other suppliers, etc.

Thread drift happened at post #4 and we are at #20..... the poor OP has probably drifted off somewhere else, he never resurfaced.
Yeah, I mean, Oh s**t you're right - probably the truth is that none of us have kept the boxes and know what the part numbers are o_Oo_O

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
OK...................................
How do you identify an Aristocraft point? - i know it will say 'Aristocraft' on it, but they didn't (to my knowledge) put a part number on 'em? :wondering::think:

PhilP.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
OK...................................
How do you identify an Aristocraft point? - i know it will say 'Aristocraft' on it, but they didn't (to my knowledge) put a part number on 'em? :wondering::think:

PhilP.
It'll be on the box - hence my .............................. :mask: