Are You thinking about going 3D HD TV or video cam ?

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I know this isnt strickly G Gauge but maybe of use to some people out there But my test video is of my Aristo Crest Revolution controled Mikado so thats my excuse
This isnt a difinative review its my quick thoughts and experiences of the last 2 days playing.........
Having been happy with my HD ready 42" tv i thought Full HD 3D was a bit of a gimic but i did want a new video camara so looked at all the reviews and decided on a Samsung SD HD video cam.... cheapest was Currys £179 so off we went.... while waiting to find they were out of stock we had a look at the TVs and 3D ones that were on display.......:mad::mad:... This is where i have to warn anyone of a tight wallet not to venture into such a shop with the wife....... 4 Hours later and £2000 intrest free buy now pay in 12 mouths i now own a 47" smart 3D Full HD LED LG TV with matching 1000w 5.1 3D Blu ray player and a 3D HD Panasonic VideoCam............
All i can say is WOW!!!!!!!!! Bludy Fantastic.... The TV converts normall TV to 3D and it is stunning i dont know how they do it but :clap: The Blu ray does what it says and the Video Cam is just out of this world i have uploaded this quick video of my Mikado in HD on YouTube as a test but played back on the telly its unbeliveable... The only think i would say is the 3D option on the Camara is not as good quality as recording in HD and you can get 90% of the effect if you record in 2D HD but let the TV convert it to 3D but i will play and learn i might be doing something wrong
The other thing dont let Currys rip you off for £179 for HTMI cables Rapid will do them for £24 :rofl::rofl::rofl: the test vid is still uploading so i will post on here as soon as it is ready
Sorry if anyone knows all this already but some of us are still in the dark ages
Oh the reason i went with LG is because their 3D is Passive and you use standard Glasses most others are Active 3D which means the Glasses are Powered and cost £49 each Extra and the flickering hurt my eyes (very distracting). with LG you get 7 pairs free with the TV and we think theres not much difference in the quality of 3D
Please ad your thoughts and experiences

Tony

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Passive 3d is the way to go, as for one thing the glasses are a lot lighter and cheaper. Personally i'm holding off untill sets come out that you wont need glasses for, but its great technology. Howver, If i stand to set up a garden layout in the new year it will all have to wait.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have looked at great length at 3D tellys as I have always been heavily into Hifi/video etc. I am a bit of a stickler for picture quality and can be a bit 'nerdy' about it.
3D passive is a little like the pseudo surround sound that you get with some TVs. It seems to be great to start with but when watching a movie with extended use of 5:1, 6:1 or even 7:1 then the 'pseudo' does not compete with a real surround system.
The 3D effect that passive 3D gives is a bit like the normal films that have been '3D enhanced' They were not shot in 3D but post produced to give the 3D effect. This works in some scenes but causes 'unnatural' effects in others.

Active 3D works by taking the extra 3D information in the bluray or transmitted signal and creates a 'true' 3D effect when seen through the active glasses. Of course it can also do a 'pseudo' effect on 2D material. It is the better option for quality of 3D..BUT as you said Tony, the glasses are more expensive and some people are sensitive to the 'flicker' of the actiive glasses.

As I watch a lot of films and also use the HD Freesat satellite channel options when watching BBC, ITV or C4, I would, after testing loads of 46 inch and 50 inch LCD and plasma 3D tellys, go for the Samsung 8000 jobbie (and I have been a confirmed Panny plasma freek for ages).

But if Passive 3D has to be the one, then the LG products are very good value and give a good punchy picture.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Mike
The flicker was the one thing that put me off even though you tried to just look at the screen i could still see static things to the side that flickerd.... the passive 3D isnt as 3D as the active and when it coverts non HD telly to 3D it does sometimes show up things that arnt real but you can adjust the effect also daylight sceens are better than night but i still say its dam clever .......... i went for the 47" LED as the picture is better than Plasma or LCD that i saw in the shop but the price nearly doubles over 47" Also all plasmas are active 3D and that means if you want more than 2 people to watch a movie with you you end up buying glasses at £100 per pair.... To be honest i could have spent £3000 on the telly allone but i did look and ask what extra you got for the price and the answer from what i saw was size.... i think my telly was £899 and 47" in my room is big enough they say to sit 1 1/2 times from the screen as the size any bigger and id be sitting next door:rofl:
Its like all things in life you can buy a Rolls Royce or a BMW they both get you from a to b but is the ride quality in the roller 5 times better than the BMW
2 days after buying this lot im very happy .......... anyway the point of all this was the 3D HD video camara which i will review more as time allows but at the moment one down size is the length of time it takes to upload vids in HD to you tube.... normally a 9 min standard vid takes about 30mins ive been uploading a 4 min HD and its taken 2 hours and is only 52% i will post the link so you can see the quality as soon as its done

Tony

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Where's that Youtube link, Tony ?? You're slacking !!!!

:D

beavercreek said:
As I watch a lot of films and also use the HD Freesat satellite channel options when watching BBC, ITV or C4, I would, after testing loads of 46 inch and 50 inch LCD and plasma 3D tellys, go for the Samsung 8000 jobbie (and I have been a confirmed Panny plasma freek for ages).

But if Passive 3D has to be the one, then the LG products are very good value and give a good punchy picture.

Got the Samsung 8000 46" 3D TV a couple of months ago (with the bluetooth touchscreen remote you can watch TV on!) along with a LG Blueray / 3D DVD player (already have a PS3 which plays Blueray / 3D - but it came with the deal :) )

Superb bit of kit and have just fitted a sat dish so I can access the Fressat channels :D (mate had "spare" dish from a Sky installation)

Got mine from http://www.richersounds.com/search/ue46d8000 with a 5 year warranty also

Got mine connected up to an Onkyo 5.1 system - Awesome as the younger generation say....... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Have just bought a 55" LG 3D SMART TV instigated by SWMBO!! (In truth she was not looking for the 3D element but it seemed a shame to ignore it!)
Despite my dodgy left eye I was surprised to find that I could see the passive 3D. It seems the way to go instead of hugely expensive battery operated 'active' glasses which have a very limited field of vision. The LG comes with 7 sets of glasses! Active ones are around £80-90 each I gather whilst passive are about £1.50 -£3 each.
Until the latest LG offerings 'active' was the better system but I don't think that now applies.
I have not experienced any flicker and the 3D effect even on 2D converted to 3D is remarkable.
55" sounds huge but it is viewed from the opposite end of a reasonably large lounge and looks 'right'.
I too bought from John Lewis on a v special offer £200 under Currys price and inc' a 5yr warranty.
In terms of appearance the Samsung 8000 series is mouthwatering but costs £1000 more for the same size and, is 'active' 3D.
A word of caution though - LG advise against children under 5yrs of age viewing 3D TV as it can damage their eyesight.
Pity, my 4 grandchildren will have to wait to see it.
EDIT:- There is a downside, I am still working out how to interconnect a Wi-Fi Blu-ray, VHS/DVD player and a Humax HDR box seamlessly - I am getting there - slowly.
Connecting the PC and camera is childs play - just Plug n Play.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
Mike
The flicker was the one thing that put me off even though you tried to just look at the screen i could still see static things to the side that flickerd.... the passive 3D isnt as 3D as the active and when it coverts non HD telly to 3D it does sometimes show up things that arnt real but you can adjust the effect also daylight sceens are better than night but i still say its dam clever .......... i went for the 47" LED as the picture is better than Plasma or LCD that i saw in the shop but the price nearly doubles over 47" Also all plasmas are active 3D and that means if you want more than 2 people to watch a movie with you you end up buying glasses at £100 per pair.... To be honest i could have spent £3000 on the telly allone but i did look and ask what extra you got for the price and the answer from what i saw was size.... i think my telly was £899 and 47" in my room is big enough they say to sit 1 1/2 times from the screen as the size any bigger and id be sitting next door:rofl:
Its like all things in life you can buy a Rolls Royce or a BMW they both get you from a to b but is the ride quality in the roller 5 times better than the BMW
2 days after buying this lot im very happy .......... anyway the point of all this was the 3D HD video camara which i will review more as time allows but at the moment one down size is the length of time it takes to upload vids in HD to you tube.... normally a 9 min standard vid takes about 30mins ive been uploading a 4 min HD and its taken 2 hours and is only 52% i will post the link so you can see the quality as soon as its done

Tony
Looking forward to the clip Tony, I can watch it on my TV. :clap:

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
KeithT said:
Tony said:
Mike

Tony

Well ive just watched it on you tube on my pc and its better than my others filmed in standard but the real difference is when shown on my tv ......i must point out the the test film is just that.. like most of us i took the cam out of the box charged it up and pressed record and walked around the garden with out reading the book of words... it doesnt like me moving the camara to fast as on the cam screen it did say a few times "Panning to fast" and i nitice on the video there is a bit of blurring when i am moving with the cam..... now i have flicked through the destruction book it does say there is an image stabliser i can switch on....... but i will sit down and try and see what it really can do and post an update in different modes......im so imprest so far though... and did i mention the size it sits in the palm of your hand ITS tiny

Tony

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
well tony you have definitly set the bar now for quality .my pc is hd and wow!!!!. quality pic.
nice one tony... allan.:D:D:D:D

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Would you Adam and Eve it? Not allowed to watch it on TV as SWMBO is watching Children in Need but Yes is is excellent full screen on the PC.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:
beavercreek said:

Got the Samsung 8000 46" 3D TV a couple of months ago (with the bluetooth touchscreen remote you can watch TV on!) along with a LG Blueray / 3D DVD player (already have a PS3 which plays Blueray / 3D - but it came with the deal :) )

Superb bit of kit and have just fitted a sat dish so I can access the Fressat channels :D (mate had "spare" dish from a Sky installation)

Got mine from http://www.richersounds.com/search/ue46d8000 with a 5 year warranty also

Got mine connected up to an Onkyo 5.1 system - Awesome as the younger generation say....... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ian If you now have the sat' connected do you still need my surplus Foxconn dish?
I had intended bringing it to the NWGscale meet tomorrow.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
KeithT said:
Tony said:
Mike

Tony

Well ive just watched it on you tube on my pc and its better than my others filmed in standard but the real difference is when shown on my tv ......i must point out the the test film is just that.. like most of us i took the cam out of the box charged it up and pressed record and walked around the garden with out reading the book of words... it doesnt like me moving the camara to fast as on the cam screen it did say a few times "Panning to fast" and i nitice on the video there is a bit of blurring when i am moving with the cam..... now i have flicked through the destruction book it does say there is an image stabliser i can switch on....... but i will sit down and try and see what it really can do and post an update in different modes......im so imprest so far though... and did i mention the size it sits in the palm of your hand ITS tiny

Tony

The image stabilising software is very effective nowadays. That on my Lumix does an amazing job.

KeithT said:
Ian If you now have the sat' connected do you still need my surplus Foxconn dish?

Sorry Keith - Don't need the Foxconn dish now as I got a Sky one closer to home - Thanks for the offer though :D

Can't get to the NW meet tomorrow - Have an interview at the bank...................... :( :(

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Ian_S said:
KeithT said:

Sorry Keith - Don't need the Foxconn dish now as I got a Sky one closer to home - Thanks for the offer though :D

Can't get to the NW meet tomorrow - Have an interview at the bank...................... :( :(

SWMBO will be dismayed, she thought that she was rid of it!!
Not seeing the bank manager 'cos of overspend on the TV set-up I trust......
Anyone going to the GScale meet tomorrow need a satellite dish fitted with single outlet LHB? Free of course.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
annieshalt said:
well tony you have definitly set the bar now for quality .my pc is hd and wow!!!!. quality pic.
nice one tony... allan.:D:D:D:D

Thank you Allen but this is the culpret Tiny isnt it
9da458e7c6c1477fbd79bd4f21032212.jpg

and this is my Tv with the camara in front with its 3D lens attached
16e3105cceac4c289213296ecd166c59.jpg

By the way it was £429 with the 3D lens free and £50 cash back ? plus got them to throw in a SDHC class 10 memory card... it has internall memory but also records on SD card which has to be a class 10???? for 3D what i like is the battery is external but unlike my old cam which you had to remove the battery to charge it this one gets charged while conected.... so its like when charging your mobile phone just plug it in for 2 hrs and you get 1 1/2 hrs filming in HD also it will charge from a usb.
The view screen is touch control so everything is controled from there which is good and as you see it flips over and stores sideways while filming

Tony

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Tony
Saving the best to the last - you weren't joking!
I could taste the steam.....:love:

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
55.5 said:
Well, after that, trains must be out of the frame for you Tony. Any special offers!

Buy now pay 12 months :clap: got another very big collection coming up soon so wasnt going to pay cash was i .....but ive a continental type German turning up tomorrow with a large wad of pound note sterlings for a load of stuff i listed on ebay and he won last week :rofl::rofl: so watch this space for anything he doesnt take

Tony