Are there any sources for HO Live Steam.

Rob1962

Registered
21 Jan 2018
New York City. USA
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Are there any HO Live Steam Locos available Online.Hornby Live Steam Discontinued

Last edited:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
They made two - a Flying Scotsman and a Mallard. Both were barely controllable at anything like a scale speed. At Warley one year I watched a Flying Scotsman do just that. Luckily the driver was an employee of Hornby... It was a fascinating exercise in model engineering, but, of course, they were 00 scale and not H0.

There are a couple of H0 live steam builders in Germany, but their prototypes are usually very small or even narrow gauge locos. You can see them on Youtube - look for H0 echtdampf. and make sure you use a 0 and not a O.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
WOW....there are some fine engines....search for a couple of days....
I wonder when the first person is going to make one in N scale....
H0 there is not much factory build but more home build...
Hmmmmm again...... N scale..... it can be done, right???

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
WOW....there are some fine engines....search for a couple of days....
I wonder when the first person is going to make one in N scale....
H0 there is not much factory build but more home build...
Hmmmmm again...... N scale..... it can be done, right???
Brian Caton is the man, he made 009 ones 0 and 00 Lived just round the corner From where I used to line in Thorpe Willoghby near Selby Yorks UK but I never knew that till I moved away in 1978! Think someone has done some in N, but if you want to buy running ones in HO Germany is the place to serarch. 00 Hornby ones not produced for some time but a keen group of runners and supporters.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Are there any HO Live Steam Locos available Online.Hornby Live Steam Discontinued
Hornby 00 second hand comes up from time to time and will usually be only a little used. This is because the Hornby instruction manual contained an error for using the controls, and many people could not slow or stop their locos.

So once they'd thrown themselves of the rails, the locos were put back in their boxes and rarely, if ever, used.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the driving method was somewhat tricky and in part replicates the real thing where you have to give a blast of steam then pull back on the regulator. A trick less easy with small machines though the real thing can be tricky as well as the demonstration of wheel slips show. They are not always related just to the load. If we ever get back to Model Railway Shows the 00 Hornby Live Steam groups layout is well worth hunting out as they give visitors hands on driving experiences, a great way to get the feel of how to drive the Hornby system. But of course that is not HO though I expect the system of electrics is likely to be somewhat similar.