April Running Day Wellington Group

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0888.JPG

In Kiwirail, we always start all/any meetings with a safety moment.... since both Ben and I are employed by them, we have a safety moment.

Ben C was our host for the April meeting, which we were expecting a low turnout due to a counter attraction in Australia, no, not the Commonwealth Games, but an organised Walkabout (they called it a safari) around NSW and ACT layouts. A satisfactory count of 18 attendees was noted.

This is the Pine Valley Estate Railway, nominally a 7/8ths layout that Ben graciously allows G scale to run. That's my passenger train from Taita Gorge.

DSC_0890.JPG

Chris W, and son Alec, are now really getting into the swing of this garden railway racket. They now have a rake of Hartland skips to tow behind their Bloothooth controlled 2-4-2T. (Edit note: originally posted as 2-6-2T, see post below). At the left of frame by the front of the loco, you can see the subway entrance to the Pine Valley Underground Railway. It was in full swing, one could hear the station announcements, and trains arriving and departing. Unfortunately, not being of scale stature, I was unable to pop down to photograph them.

DSC_0891.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 235509

In Kiwirail, we always start all/any meeting with a safety moment.... since both Ben and I are employed by them, we have a safety moment.

Ben C was our host for the April meeting, which we were expecting a low turnout due to a counter attraction in Australia, no, not the Commonwealth Games, but an organised Walkabout (they called it a safari) around NSW and ACT layouts. A satisfactory count of 18 attendees was noted.

This is the Pine Valley Estate Railway, nominally a 7/8ths layout that Ben graciously allows G scale to run. That's my passenger train from Taita Gorge.

View attachment 235510

Chris W, and son Alec, are now really getting into the swing of this garden railway racket. They now have a rake of Hartland skips to tow behind their Bloothooth controlled 2-6-2T.

View attachment 235511
Nice pics of a clearly happy gathering. But I think the 2-6-2 could be wishful thinking, looks more like a Bachman 2-4-2 to my eyes.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
OK, into the 7/8ths. Ben's first engine, now battery powered from the highsider.

DSC_0892.JPG

DSC_0894.JPG

We tagged on my rake of LGB tipplers to make up this train.

Attachments

• DSC_0893.JPG
    DSC_0893.JPG
    908.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Nice pics of a clearly happy gathering. But I think the 2-6-2 could be wishful thinking, looks more like a Bachman 2-4-2 to my eyes.

Yes, wishful thinking..... corrected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0896.JPG

Pure 7/8ths. Ben still hasn't finished the station/shed. He has used dolls house joinery for the door and window.

DSC_0897.JPG

JR, as usual, rounds off the meet with a a bit of live steam. The beaut thing about Ben's railway, is that the buildings are removable, thus allowing changes in scale. But we didn't remove the building for this shot.

A very pleasant afternoon, and thanks to Shannon for the catering.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0893.JPG

This is the shot that wouldn't load a few posts back.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Great fun - I'm disappointed about the lack of pictures of the underground railway.

I'm reminded of the Great Dismal Swamp Underground Railroad in the US - but this was more serious; allegedly it was a way of getting slaves across the border and into the northern states.

(There was also a Dismal Swamp Railroad, which was a genuine logging undertaking).

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Great fun - I'm disappointed about the lack of pictures of the underground railway.

I'm reminded of the Great Dismal Swamp Underground Railroad in the US - but this was more serious; allegedly it was a way of getting slaves across the border and into the northern states.

(There was also a Dismal Swamp Railroad, which was a genuine logging undertaking).

:confused:
Now, are we talking 'Dismal' as a place-name, or means of propulsion??
:confused:

mike bickford

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Harden Murrumburrah NSW Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gavin, we had Geoff Hallam, Derek Cooper, Chris Drowley and Brain Cashmore call in yesterday and today to see our live steamers. The monthly Rails in the Garden steamup was at my line in country NSW. The train safari was in Young for the weekend and I live 30 minutes drive away, so a few of them made a detour.

Reactions: 1 users