Another Wellington Group Running Day

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
The weather last weekend was truely winterlike, and the planned running day at JR's was wisely postponed... to today, where the gods turned on a fantastic early summer's day.

Holiday weekends generally mean low attendances locally, as many do take advantage of the clogged roads, and over priced ice creams. Anyhow, those of us that endured the trek up Mt Robinson had a great time. Catering too was to its usual high standard. Let's get on with the show.

DSC_0059.JPG

Even though I was not the first to arrive, I got to open proceedings with my Tram. John had cleaned the track especially for me, and, as it turned out later in the day, others. If there is any track power faults, this vehicle is bound to find them.... it didn't.

DSC_0060.JPG

Also in my box of track power fault finding tricks, is my Rail Truck, it too, performed flawlessly.

DSC_0061.JPG

Another visitor, whos name I didn't catch, brought along this USA Trains GP 7. Running on self contained batteries..... got me thinking (wishfully) of getting the UP version for the Taita Gorge Beer Train,

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0062.JPG

Chris and Alex W turned up with their 2-4-2T and train. They also brought their latest acquisition, a Big Hauler.... run darned sight better than mine, still on track power. After monkeying around with Kadees and Bachmann couplers, we successfully got it into its debut run on the H&MGR.

DSC_0065.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
DSC_0064.JPG

Chris D had some finger burners earning their keep, including a locally built bodyless steam tram (which I did not photograph).

And, for shot of the day, the 'piece de resistance', JR's real coal burner. So quintisentially colonial, don't you think.

DSC_0067.JPG

Reactions: 7 users

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent pictures of a fine railway.

Hey Case.... slow down on the comments, I haven't finished posting everything yet (well I have now).
Such enthusiasm and haste is not good for your ticker.... can't have you taking up any more space at the clinic. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Gavin, I'm sitting in the control cabin at the CFR sipping lemonade and contemplating the disruption the contractors have caused to operations on the CFR. Your pictures provide a fine diversion and inspiration.

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Gavin, I'm sitting in the control cabin at the CFR sipping lemonade and contemplating the disruption the contractors have caused to operations on the CFR. Your pictures provide a fine diversion and inspiration.

Keep Calm, and Carry On.

Today's weather was not lemonade sipping, it was lemonade guzzling weather (and more of it to come).

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent pictures of a fine railway.

JRs is in deed a fine railway with bags of natural atmosphere, (probably even better with proper coal smoke!). Seem like forever since I stood where Gav shot his tram from. :) OOooohhh that saw-mill!!!! :inlove::inlove:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Great photos chaps!

Nice to see you are having some fine weather too, just like us back in the UK....