Another L'il Bash

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
That tender looks like it could be bashed for a HLW wagon Mick?

I might have something suitable that I could donate to your build....

4621347_orig.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Cab getting a tiny bit nearer - now has the maklings of a roof glued on. The 1.5mm ply was bent round a piece of drainage pipe (smaller radius than the cab roof) and held in place with tie-wraps for a couple of days.

Glued it in position last night with the aid of twelve miniclamps no less!
View attachment 231124
Loaded as a PNG.
To help with the curving, has any one tried whacking the wood and mould in a microwave for a few seconds? I've not tried it myself, but apparently the heat softens the glue in the ply when it cools, it retains it's shape. Obviously 1) don't use a metal mould & 2) wait until you're alone!

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Well you might think I haven't been doing much - and you'd be right! I've messed about painting (and that hasn't gone right well), then there was a coat of varnish (and that didn't go as well as I wanted), so here's my progress so far....

View attachment 232051
View attachment 232052
View attachment 232053
View attachment 232054
View attachment 232055
Waiting for the glue to set so I can mount the bell. It's the plastic bell I cut off, mounting with a split pin. Once all is in place it will be glued in position. Didn't have any gold numerals so I painted the vinyls before removing from backing. Used a gold marker pen for the lines (that didn't go according to plan either - so had to cover up my mistakes with a black felt tip pen). There's a theme developing somewhere:banghead:
I Like the green interior never thought about doing that.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Well you might think I haven't been doing much - and you'd be right! I've messed about painting (and that hasn't gone right well), then there was a coat of varnish (and that didn't go as well as I wanted), so here's my progress so far....

View attachment 232051
View attachment 232052
View attachment 232053
View attachment 232054
View attachment 232055
Waiting for the glue to set so I can mount the bell. It's the plastic bell I cut off, mounting with a split pin. Once all is in place it will be glued in position. Didn't have any gold numerals so I painted the vinyls before removing from backing. Used a gold marker pen for the lines (that didn't go according to plan either - so had to cover up my mistakes with a black felt tip pen). There's a theme developing somewhere:banghead:[/QUOTE I like the green interior never thought of doing that

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It's coming together, Mick, just be patient.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
That tender looks like it could be bashed for a HLW wagon Mick?

I might have something suitable that I could donate to your build....

View attachment 232058

That's a kind offer. I was going to carve up the loco's tender (needs narrowing for just a start!). I'll start a coversation (at a more civilised hour!). Thank you very much.

To help with the curving, has any one tried whacking the wood and mould in a microwave for a few seconds? I've not tried it myself, but apparently the heat softens the glue in the ply when it cools, it retains it's shape. Obviously 1) don't use a metal mould & 2) wait until you're alone!

It's an interesting point. I have used the microwave for melting moulding material before today (and I use it every morning for my porridge:D). And yes, no metal to be used! It doesn't half produce some crackling noises! So I might give it a try with an offcut of ply! Will post results on here! Ding ding, hold tight please! Oh that's the wrong dinger!

I Like the green interior never thought about doing that.

To be honest, I haven't really got a clue what colo(u)r the cab interior was actually painted in its' day. I guess those restoring a loco would know.

It's coming together, Mick, just be patient.

Me? Patient? I'm an outpatient but I don't think that counts. I just get a little frustrated about not getting on with things. Need to insulate the shed roof, put in a multi-fuel stove, and I will have a more congenial workplace. Already got my eye on a small stove too! Wife says I should wear gloves but how on earth can you handle a 4.0mm x 1.0mm brass pin or similar. Plus, there's glue to think of - that would be like turning gloves in to mittens:D!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Cab interior colours can be a bit vague in many cases. Looking at some of the older Preserved UK Locomotives, an off Creme appears to have been quite popular. Probably as an aid to visibility of the Controls as anyone who has tried to work in a Kitchen with poor lighting and Green Walls would tell you. These days I would choose brilliant white for a Kitchen Wall like mine that does not have a direct Window thus that sort of colour would make more sence in a Cab environment, but not for keeping clean! Searching on Forney Locomotives does indeed show a Creme Cab Interior or two but also a Maxitrack Model with a Green one and plenty more that appear to be the main Loco Colour. So you takes your choice, if you like the Green and it will save you more painting why not?

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Still cold out there but I managed to fit the bell (still morethings to add to that)...

Bell (2).JPG
Bell (3).JPG

Once I've sorted the bell (and whistle) rope/s, I'll be making the boiler hand rails, then I'll get to the motion.

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A day not wasted even if that's all you got done.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A day not wasted even if that's all you got done.

I have not forgotten about it - just too much on my mind. Have had a go at the ropes for the bell and whistle. If I'd access to my brain whilst building the cab, I'd have made better provision for what I've just done.

Anyway, some pics (I hope)....
Bell ringing (1).JPG
Bell ringing (2).JPG
Bell ringing (3).JPG

Bell ringing (4).JPG The "ropes" are thick cotton, To get it through the 'eye/brackets' in the cab, I had to cut a needle in half to thread it through (with the aid of some small bent taper nose pliers.

The boiler handrails are welding rod and split pins. There are now loads of marks on the boiler paintwork caused by glue and tools. So that's it for the moment.

Reactions: 2 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
Looking great. I like the green cab. Mine will have the green cab interior too. Thanks for the idea of bringing the string on through the cab with the pull down peices. Nice details

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A nice bit of detail work there, Mick, and the livery is looking superb - a great choice of colours.