Another L'il Bash

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Didn't someone 'cut and shut' a couple of ?Yakult? type bottles to make a spark arrestor chimney??

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Didn't someone 'cut and shut' a couple of ?Yakult? type bottles to make a spark arrestor chimney??

That would be me.

Yakult stack.JPG

Yakult stack 1.JPG

Yakult containers and half a plastic garden hose joiner

Yakult stack 2.JPG

This poor old Big Hauler has had the hell bashed out of it over the years. Guess that is just the lot of a test bed. The chimney is mounted on a piece of balsa stuffed into the original stack mounting hole.

Reactions: 7 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I remember that! Yes your BH is totally reconfigured - and I spy another proprietory product (dome)! Like you, I look at all things that would normally be discarded. The tops off roll-on deodorants have similar possibilities.
The much scorned (but not by me) BH has tons of bash potential as you, and, others, have demonstrated.

Reactions: 2 users

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I remember that! Yes your BH is totally reconfigured - and I spy another proprietory product (dome)! Like you, I look at all things that would normally be discarded. The tops off roll-on deodorants have similar possibilities.
The much scorned (but not by me) BH has tons of bash potential as you, and, others, have demonstrated.

The centre dome is from the top of one of SWMBOs makeup product bottles.
I use all sorts of craft stuff for detailing my scratchbuilt models eg cheap chains from a $2 shop combined with hook and loop dressmaking bits are good for tie down chains
Look out for my last 2 1:20.3 models when I get around to posting pictures.

As for poor old BH another bash is coming down the pipeline, one day I'll just let him rest

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The centre dome is from the top of one of SWMBOs makeup product bottles.
I use all sorts of craft stuff for detailing my scratchbuilt models eg cheap chains from a $2 shop combined with hook and loop dressmaking bits are good for tie down chains
Look out for my last 2 1:20.3 models when I get around to posting pictures.

As for poor old BH another bash is coming down the pipeline, one day I'll just let him rest

I look forward to your pics!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well not a right lot done - mutilated the cab on Saturday, wasn't at home yesterday, and bothered with other stuff today!

Here's some pics of the hacking (don't look too closely if you like straight/parrallel cuts!). Put new blade in my X-acto razor saw and it kept jumping or jamming. There are actually teeth missing - but not broken off or anthing like that!:banghead:.

Cab  (1).JPG
I still need to make a suitable cab footplate and need to carry out more drastic sawing!
Cab  (2).JPG
Also some of the green stuff will have to awol too!

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Well not a right lot done - mutilated the cab on Saturday, wasn't at home yesterday, and bothered with other stuff today!

Here's some pics of the hacking (don't look too closely if you like straight/parrallel cuts!). Put new blade in my X-acto razor saw and it kept jumping or jamming. There are actually teeth missing - but not broken off or anthing like that!:banghead:.

View attachment 230188
I still need to make a suitable cab footplate and need to carry out more drastic sawing!
View attachment 230189
Also some of the green stuff will have to awol too!
Keep it coming Mick,,,,,and i must get a razor saw:nod:

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It's all progress, Mick.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Keep it coming Mick,,,,,and i must get a razor saw:nod:

Yes, a razor saw is a must in our hobby. Also a Dremel with a circular saw blade. But be mindful of the fingers.....

k7vOc.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Before you can have the Construction you must first have the Destruction!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Destruction is the best part of construction!

At least I never fail that part!

Ah, so full marks to Henri on the testing to destruction practical exam.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well I keep doing a bit. Last night I glued the resized cab together and just held it in the vice. Looked at it this morning and noticed a slight twist so had to cut it apart and reglue:banghead:

Plus glue  (2).JPG
Also cut the footboards down to same overall width of cab.

Plus I reprofiled the boiler "lagging" to make look a little more
rounded (didn't reprofile that section above the remaing lengths of footboard because the two halves wouldn't click together if I had .....

Plus glue  (1).JPG
You can just make out the original straight profile (above the boards. Also made and fitted new window cills from the roof offcuts.
Plus glue.JPG
Need to attack the back (cab) end yet with the saw.

Reactions: 4 users

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A liitle bit more mutilation and a bit of gluing. Domes glued on, lever for whistle fitted, primer blathered over boiler. Cab still cantivered off the boiler whilst I decide exactly what to do with it. Too cold in shed.

DSCF9398.JPG
DSCF9400.JPG
Converting headlamp into oil lamp (outline only!) at the moment.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Softly, softly, catchy monkey Mick..

We can almost see the thought processes as it goes along..

So far, so good! :clap:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good, Mick.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So the headlamp was fairly easy to convert. I filed off the wing light panels, then I found that the reflector (and lense) were easily shoved out of their houising. So that got the wires out of the way and I could file the base of the lamp.

A piece of 3/4" dia pipe and cut off a slice, then cut a piece out of the slice to allow it fit the round part of the lamp casing. The cut out piece then went on top, followed by a chiney cut from a shower curtain glide.
As the latter was a disimilar plastic, I decided to drill through it, and the band I had glued around the lamp, before glueing in position with a short veneer pin inserted to stop it breaking away.
DSCF9401.JPG

The platform on which it was to sit was cut out of another cut off, This was then glued and pinned to the edge of the smokebox. I brought it in the house so that the glue would set, then back into the shed to mask the boiler and spray the smokebox, firebox, and the belly of the boiler underneath the footboards. Again it was brought into the warmth of the house to rapidy dry out.

Once dry, it was out into the shed again. My better half is very sensitive to the odours of ABS glue and spray paint!

The wires were fed through the lamp platform and the light glued in place. Again brought into the house to set the glue. Took some pics but deleted seven out of the ten (looked as though I had the DT's!).
Lighting up time  (2).JPG
Lighting up time  (3).JPG

The first pic of the dismantled headlamp failed to post properly. Don't know why, althought it was taken two or three hours before the other!

Edit: Re-downloaded the pic from the camera which worked!

Last edited:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So! I thought I'd turn the chimney stack today. A piece of beech (part of chair leg). Got on well at first - the straight bottom bit, then the lower portion of the diamond stack.

Then I needed to turn it round and rechuck with the straight section in the jaws. Tried to take a little too much off and it ended up with the straight section breaking off. Tried to finish of the top of the stack using the bench grinder but this wasn't good enough. So managed to get it in the chuck to finish it off the best way I could. Then found a piece of old dowel (slightly under size). Need to do better!

You can see the dowel is undersize - as well the top of the stack being less neat where it joins the 'band' on top of the lower section!
DSCF9413.JPG

DSCF9414.JPG

Tomorrow's another day.

Reactions: 3 users