dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Wood turning can be tricky at best, never was happy about hand holding the Tools. Guess that is bacause I started out on Metal Turning. Has it's own dangers but at least the Tools are well held in place whilst working.

Never mind about the Chimney, will look just fine when painted.

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Wood turning can be tricky at best, never was happy about hand holding the Tools. Guess that is bacause I started out on Metal Turning. Has it's own dangers but at least the Tools are well held in place whilst working.

Never mind about the Chimney, will look just fine when painted.

It was on the metal lathe and I used metal turning tool bits. However, I decided to use a chisel to pare off wood to finish the 'top' cone. If I'd angled the cross slide and continued with indexible bits it wouldn't have happened.

Anyway, I have drilled through both pieces of wood and put a 4mm bolt right through (it will also allow it to be bolted through the boiler). Before I tightened it up, I put some Gorilla glue between the two parts. Grrrrrreat - the glue needs 24 hrs to completely cure!

Reactions: 1 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Softly, softly, catchy monkey Mick..

We can almost see the thought processes as it goes along..

So far, so good! :clap:

There's a thought process here.....:rofl:.....?????

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
There's a thought process here.....:rofl:.....?????

Yes of course there is!

Things like "If only I had done that" or "that was a silly thing to do".

It's a "Warts and all" jobby. OMG - Cromwell had warts (shudder).

Well, I spent some time in (and out of) the shed yesterday. Managed to bodge together the chimney stack by drilling right through the two pieces of wood and inserting a 4mm dia bolt. Sanding sealer on, a couple of blasts with the rattlecan, trips into the warmth of the house to hasten the curing and drying processes, and ended up like this ....

DSCF9417.JPG
DSCF9416.JPG

DSCF9419.JPG

DSCF9415.JPG

H'mm, must do something with the cab before long:think:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It was on the metal lathe and I used metal turning tool bits. However, I decided to use a chisel to pare off wood to finish the 'top' cone. If I'd angled the cross slide and continued with indexible bits it wouldn't have happened.
Though I have had a a small Metal Turning Lathe since the mid 89's I still comsider myself to be a bit of a numpty when it comes to turning. I was however not aware that one could get Wood Bits for a Metal Lathe, as I do occasionally wish to turn small wooden parts this would appear to be an option. Must do the ME Show in London next year. First time for many a year.

Loco moving forward well Mick. Your changes are going to create a superbly unique inspiring little piece of kit.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Though I have had a a small Metal Turning Lathe since the mid 89's I still comsider myself to be a bit of a numpty when it comes to turning. I was however not aware that one could get Wood Bits for a Metal Lathe, as I do occasionally wish to turn small wooden parts this would appear to be an option. Must do the ME Show in London next year. First time for many a year.

Loco moving forward well Mick. Your changes are going to create a superbly unique inspiring little piece of kit.

Thanks for your kind words Jon. I just use metal turning bits - it was a departure from this routine (using a wood chisel) that I screwed up on. It all depends on the type of wood and what type of bits you use. I have both the ones I can reprofile and the replaceable tip ones. Now if I had (or made) a tool rest.....

I have a set of woodturner's chisels but seldom use them - maybe I should have done!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I have done a little bit to the cab but not enough yet.

It's a question I want to ask at the moment. The plate that bridges the gap between tender and cab - drop plate - would that normally be hinged to the loco or would it be to the tender? I just need to know before I fix the floor in the cab.:wondering:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
This suggests that it's hinged to the cab, but on a custom I'm working on very slowly, I'm going to have a drop plate fixed to the tender (which is, of course, an oxymoron).

LGB tender drop plate.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
It's a question I want to ask at the moment. The plate that bridges the gap between tender and cab - drop plate - would that normally be hinged to the loco or would it be to the tender? I just need to know before I fix the floor in the cab.:wondering:

Judging from this photo, the drop plate is hinged to the loco
hagley.jpg

Thank you for your inspiring series.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Great thread, although I bet it's not as easy as you make out

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Rather than using anything solid I prefer to use some Black Sheet or other. Butyl Pond Liner works very well and is nicely matt. If you have none of that a bit of black bin liner will work just as well. Probably best to give the bin liner a little Matt Black paint though as it would be quite shiny.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Rather than using anything solid I prefer to use some Black Sheet or other. Butyl Pond Liner works very well and is nicely matt. If you have none of that a bit of black bin liner will work just as well. Probably best to give the bin liner a little Matt Black paint though as it would be quite shiny.

Judging from this photo, the drop plate is hinged to the loco
View attachment 230641

Thank you for your inspiring series.
Great thread, although I bet it's not as easy as you make out

Thank's Chris & Jon - it's amazing what I've never taken notice of before! I'm just on with the rear (draw) beam and needed to set the cab floor height to allow for the light connection plug (into to the PCB) - the beam needed to sit a little lower than the floor. I thought I'd disguise this incongruity with the fall plate.

Of course, we all know what thought did!

Paul - it isn't easy to make an exact model from the donor loco so, I decided (early on in this bash) to have something that looked like the Porter in question. At least I hope it will;)

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
This suggests that it's hinged to the cab, but on a custom I'm working on very slowly, I'm going to have a drop plate fixed to the tender (which is, of course, an oxymoron).

View attachment 230640

I'm now thinking that I'll get away with a fixed drop plate if I alter the pivot point for the tender and taper the plate sides like your pic - although this will be a lot narrower of course.

Of late, I'm thwarted in my attempts to get the cab sorted. Having glued pieces of plastic to the bottom of the cab, put a floor in, etc, I was annoyed that the glued joints parted company. So I'm probably going to build a competely new cab in wood - at least I've got most types of woodglue!

My difficulty (maybe that should be plural) is in obtaining things out here.
I have ordered a general plastics glue but that's being delivered to my son's. Same with the razor saw blades. So a time delay there.:banghead:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Sit back, relax and watch the rain.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Catching up with old threads,now thats looking the part Mick,keep going;);)

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well I seem to be getting somewhere at last - changed to wood for the cab. Pictures are of the carcase of the cab (towhich various strips of wood and beadings will be added.

The inside needs painting before I make and fit the roof.

Wooden Cab (1).JPG Wooden Cab (3).JPG Wooden Cab (4).JPG

The red colours on the wood are type O. The cab rear is only imagined - as there do not seem to be any other images of tiny loco - the doodling will go when painted:(

Reactions: 6 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well I seem to be getting somewhere at last - changed to wood for the cab. Pictures are of the carcase of the cab (towhich various strips of wood and beadings will be added.

The inside needs painting before I make and fit the roof.

View attachment 230949 View attachment 230951 View attachment 230952

The red colours on the wood are type O. The cab rear is only imagined - as there do not seem to be any other images of tiny loco - the doodling will go when painted:(
Phwaor, a lot of blood on the boiler as well :eek::eek::eek:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, good, Mick's back into his stride and all looks good.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Way to go Mick;),any cab interior details going in before the roof goes on?