Another freelance tram

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
While a freelance tram, surprisingly shortly after initial construction I found an image from Bolivia that showed an identical tram however, it had ten windows each side.

Another long stalled project that has finally received some paint and completion. Based on Bachmann "Big Hauler" coach kit parts the motive power is an Aristocraft centre cab drive block fitted with cutdown Bachmann coach sideframes. Pantograph is an LGB part. The car has external and interior lighting. I still need to glaze the outer windows at each cab end once clear glazing is sourced.

View attachment 222014 View attachment 222015 View attachment 222016 View attachment 222017 View attachment 222018
atra.JPG atrb.JPG atrd.JPG atre.JPG atrf.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
I am unable to understand how the above posting finished up with "view attachments" as displayed when I did select thumbnails.

Reactions: 1 user

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The enlarging of the platform areas works rather well and enables you to get away with enclosed ends which didn't look right when I constructed a freight version from a Bachmann full baggage car.
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/interurban-freight-motor.305969/
I've started on a tram+trailer set along similar lines, but have only completed about 50% of the trailer so far. I may do something similar to enlarge the platforms on the power car on mine after seeing your version.

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
While a freelance tram, surprisingly shortly after initial construction I found an image from Bolivia that showed an identical tram however, it had ten windows each side.

Another long stalled project that has finally received some paint and completion. Based on Bachmann "Big Hauler" coach kit parts the motive power is an Aristocraft centre cab drive block fitted with cutdown Bachmann coach sideframes. Pantograph is an LGB part. The car has external and interior lighting. I still need to glaze the outer windows at each cab end once clear glazing is sourced.View attachment 222014 View attachment 222015 View attachment 222016 View attachment 222017 View attachment 222018

Nice job. It looks right, and has an excellent finish too!

Reactions: 1 users

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Thanks gents. I still need to complete the longer version with the centre vestibule. Some years ago I built a twelve window tram similar to the eight window in this thread. It also had the Aristo centre cab drive block.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I am unable to understand how the above posting finished up with "view attachments" as displayed when I did select thumbnails.
I don't know but I have amended it for you.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Many thanks.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
It looks a very bright green. Is it as bright in reality? I really like it.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
The green used is called Heritage green and is actually quite dark. The camera flash 'brightens' the colour.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
This is my part complete inter urban based on one of the cars still extant on the Hershey Railway in Cuba
It is based on a standard Bachmann car but with a new semi elyptical roof (wood based) , plasticard overlays on the sides and new cab ends etc.
It is powered by s hartland bogie
The pantograph was obtained from s supplier in the U.K.
Chris

Attachments

• IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 0

dave snape

Registered
21 Dec 2014
west midlands
Best answers
Country flag
I have made a 3 car interurban from 2 Bachmann coaches and 1 coach/combine. The power bogie I used is a Swiftsixteen motor bogie,which is really easy to install. The bogie sides just sit on top, and you need to cut a hole in the coach floor for the motor to swing around.The r/c reciever, batterys and motor all fit into lugage part of the coach and are can not be seen . Although the coaches are heavy, the motor has more than enough power. i would recomend these bogies.to anyone doing a similar conversion.

Melbournesparks

Registered
30 Sep 2015
City of Eltham
Best answers
Country flag
That's awesome, I love it! I know what I'm doing if I come across some bachmann passenger cars...

We need to see more interurban pictures here!

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
That's awesome, I love it! I know what I'm doing if I come across some bachmann passenger cars...............................................................

How many Bachmann kit bodies do you need????????????

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
What does 'freelance' mean? Fantasy, not based on a prototype?

In my case freelance is based on prototype but not a scale representation. I take features of the prototype that I like and adapt to what I have on hand. The end result will have similarities but may not look identical to the prototype.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Like it Tim....

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Many thanks.