Anglicised Stainz - test run

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
With apologies to the Stainz fans, I decided to Anglicise my Stainz and give her a test run. Still got a bit more work to do - handrails, etc, - but wanted to check she was running OK

Rik

Reactions: 9 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Superb conversion, certainly not Germanic any more though the Valve Gear is a bit unusual on a British Loco though not entirely unknown. Very satisfying haulage demonstration too with your Battery setup. I imagine the Side Tanks have made stuffing all the gear in a bit easier, though I know you batteryised Stainz before this rebuild. Excellent job.

Though if you wre thinking of a French conversion either of these two little beauties on the Bai de Somme are not a million miles from what could be achieved as you have done.image.jpeg
JonD

Reactions: 1 users

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon
I did wonder whether to remove the valve gear - especially after seeing it on the video. Might give it a try to see what it looks like. Does seem a pity to lose it though.

Yes, the side tanks were designed specifically to hold the 18650 batteries. I thought of putting the soundcard in the boiler in the space originally taken by the Stainz circuit-board, but the two pots for volume and tempo would be inaccessible. If I'm feeling brave (or reckless), I could remove the pots and replace them with pots on flying leads.

A bit disappointed with the soundcard, especially when the 'new' price is considered. Bought it on eBay quite cheaply so not too much out of pocket. Unlike the MyLocoSound card, the tempo increases in distinct steps - very unprototypical. The chuff is a bit synthy as well though the whistle is a lot better than the MLS (if not particularly UKish). At least it's better than the sandpaper-rasp of the old Stainz card.

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
A quality job as we come to expect from you Rik. Quite a heavy train she's pulling too !
Did you manage to get most of the weights back in as well as the battery ?

Here's my battery powered Stainz - still of the Austrian persuasion. ;)

The smoke ?
Courtesy of 24 volt DCC through the track direct to the 24 v smoke unit.

IMG_4842.jpg

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Love it.. more please

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
.................and that coach is also impressive :call::clap::clap::clap::clap:

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
If you have any of the original pipes, lamps, etc , I would take them off your hands

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As you have taken Europe out of the loco and made it English, I suggest you name it Brexit.

Great model, and runs well.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi Greg! You seem to have been hiding for a bit??
What have you been making down there?
PhilP.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Rik
Great conversion I really like that, I have 2 Stainz sitting in a cupboard just begging to be bashed one question, where did you get the steam dome for it?

sparky230

Registered
29 Mar 2011
Northfleet
Best answers
Unwanted Stainz made welcome here, always make space for another 1 or 3

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Rik
Great conversion I really like that, I have 2 Stainz sitting in a cupboard just begging to be bashed one question, where did you get the steam dome for it?
Swift Sixteen - not cheap but a very nice casting.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
As you have taken Europe out of the loco and made it English, I suggest you name it Brexit.

Great model, and runs well.
Nice idea, Greg, but she'd already been given a name (and nameplates ordered and received a while back).
Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good, can't wait to see the finished article
Dan
Happy to oblige Dan
Not sure a model is ever really 'finished' - I keep thinking of more I can add (eg number transfers on the buffer beams, a bit of light weathering, toolbox on the running plate, etc) - but here she is now I've done a bit more titivating. I decided to remove the valve gear - I think it now makes her look a bit more UKish. Mind you, she now has a passing resemblance from some angles to the WLLR Beyer Peacocks - anyone got any spare Walschaerts valve gear>
IMG_2801.JPG IMG_2802.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG IMG_2805.JPG

If you want to see Wot I Dun in every sordid detail - I've blogged the conversion here - https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/how-i-anglicised-lgb-stainz-loco.html

Rik

PS - Thanks to one and all for your kind comments and encouragement.

Reactions: 4 users

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
A quality job as we come to expect from you Rik. Quite a heavy train she's pulling too !
Did you manage to get most of the weights back in as well as the battery ?
Thanks Paul - yes, got all the weights back in - the side tanks were just the right size for the 18650 li-ion batteries. I was going to put the soundcard and receiver in the boiler (where the old circuit board was), but I wouldn't have then been ablle to access the volume and tempo controls without taking the loco apart and so they now sit on the cab floor (covered with tarpaulin - well Gaffa Tape - ;) )

Rik

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Might have to buy another Stainz now and bash it... :cool:. looks British enough to me :)

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
That's a very effective conversion. Looks good