Analogue on lgb digital

Dcameron

Registered
30 Aug 2019
Basildon
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to get a USA train analogue to work on digital address 3 motor sound but not running works fine on lgb analogue control

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
If it's analogue, it'll only work on address 0 assuming you are using an LGB MTS or Massoth system.

But a word of caution here. Your USA trains loco might not like the high frequency DCC signal and it could burn out its motors....

Dcameron

Registered
30 Aug 2019
Basildon
Best answers
Country flag
Ah right its address 0 not 3 thanks tried to get it decoder fitted but nearly 450 quid

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ah right its address 0 not 3 thanks tried to get it decoder fitted but nearly 450 quid
A suitable non sound Decoder should come in at under £100 not sure if one of these would work, but it may be ok perhaps another member can comment re suitability with a USA Loco assuming it is a USA Trains Loco?

Fitting a Decoder is not that tricky but something that the faint hearted may have problems with. One of the benefits of this Decoder is that all the wires go into a Screw Terminal on the Chip.

If you can - perhaps best to let us know what exactly you have, you will certainly at some stage need to address Chip Fitting yourself as indeed £450 may seam a lot. But time is money these days and the fitter always has the responsibility that a Chip may get trashed during his fit if the Loco is unfamiliar.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
D Dcameron We're assuming here that by "USA train analogue" you mean a model made by USA Trains (rather than an American style model made by someone else?) Which loco is it you have?

Some of the big USA Trains diesels are known to have potentially high current draw especially if stalled or when first moving off. I seem to recall NCE did a decoder capable of handling 8 amp stall current, specifically for the big USAT locos. I'm not sure I'd go with a 3A decoder, maybe a 5 amp but preferably the big NCE D808-SR if it's still available?

[edit] NCE D808SR £92 here
D808SR Decoder - NCE - Shop by Brand

Who on earth quoted £450 to supply and fit a decoder? As dunnyrail dunnyrail says it's not difficult unless you're really not confident with fiddling with electrics.

Avoid running un-chipped locos on DCC, it's really not good for them as you're putting power through the motor all the time even when stationary (hence the constant buzzing/humming when you place one on the track). In the small scales it can blow up motors very rapidly and is very much frowned upon these days. Quite a few systems don't provide the functionality. Address 0 is not a real DCC address in this context, it's a convention used by *some* DCC systems to cause the system to "bend" the signal in the track such that the motor in an un-chipped loco sees a biased voltage and turns. Other DCC systems may use a different convention (eg. Bachmann EZ Command uses "address 10" button to do the same thing).

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I can understand some people quoting that sort of figure.. - USA Trains loco's are a little 'DCC unfriendly'.

Of course, that could be the price of a DCC equipped loco? :think:

If it is one of the bigger diesels.. I, personally, would fit an XXL. :nerd::nod::nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can understand some people quoting that sort of figure.. - USA Trains loco's are a little 'DCC unfriendly'.

Of course, that could be the price of a DCC equipped loco? :think:

If it is one of the bigger diesels.. I, personally, would fit an XXL. :nerd::nod::nod:
Thanks Phil I was wondering what the bigger Chip was.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Due to the analog engines having DCC power at over 16 volts to the motor whne engine is stopped, I will never run a loco this way. It is easy to install a DPDT switch to select the power source for my track.