Analog Sound

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
I am new to G scale and was wondering what options there are for sound using an analog layout. I have seen devices that can be put in a tender or boxcar, but are there options that can be installed inside the locomotive without too much difficulty? Specifically I am looking to bring sound to my LGB 23430.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
There are several options, and everyone will have their own personal preference - but for both good sound and simplicity, mine would be a Massoth S, simply connected to track power with two wires. A small enough module (about 20x35mm) to install almost anywhere, and can drive a speaker of anything from about 25mm diameter upwards (use the largest that you can get to fit).
On analogue DC you will get all the "running" sounds while the loco is in motion, plus a toot on the whistle when it pulls away; if you are careful on your controller knob, you can also find the "sweet spot" just after the sound cuts in but before the loco starts to move, when the loco will sit stationary but still making all the "standing sounds" - steam hiss, various pumps etc. If you want to be able to trigger bell and whistle from track magnets you can also install reed switches under the loco which connect quite simply to the S board.

Jon.

Edit: sorry, just looked up which loco you mentioned (LGB 23430), didn't recognise the number without checking - my suggestion still applies, the S unit will be available programmed with the correct sound files for that loco plus you will have plenty of room for a nice BIG speaker!
You'd also have room for one of the LGB "black box" 65000 series sound units, of course, which are in many ways even simpler to install - but the sounds on these are more generic, AND they are much more expensive than the Massoth module.....

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I am new to G scale and was wondering what options there are for sound using an analog layout. I have seen devices that can be put in a tender or boxcar, but are there options that can be installed inside the locomotive without too much difficulty? Specifically I am looking to bring sound to my LGB 23430.

MyLocoSound has an electric loco soundcard at US$79 which will do the job. Our US distributor is G Scale Graphics in Colorado on 970-581-3567 (9am to 6pm Mountain Time) and GScaleGraphics@comcast.net. Our existing soundcard will do the motor sounds for this loco but not the horn (which you could call a whistle?). Next week we are releasing a major upgrade of the electric soundcard (still the same price) which will do its characteristic horn and also extra optional sounds like brake squeal and airbrake release. It works with analogue track power or with battery radio control (but not DCC). Sounds can be triggered by track magnets or there are several automatic options.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I only have five steam outline locos and every one of them has a mylocosound chip. They aren't as good as a £250 phoenix sound card but for the price they are extremely good. There are plenty of adjustment options to get the sound right for each loco. You can change the whistle sound, the chuff speed and volume, decide whether to have a bell or not. The whistle and bell can be made to sound automatically or be triggered. You can also choose a guards whistle or "all aboard" which is worked from the infrared remote.
A couple of examples - this is using a chip from some years ago, the first version with "cruise". This is track powered and has uses the auto whistle on start option. I have incorrectly chosen a UK type whistle but that is my choice, I do have the option to make it a US style whistle if I want.

These two have got later chips. I use the Deltang radio control system and can use a button on the transmitter to sound the whistle so I have switched off the auto whistle on start.

I have no connection with mylocosound and I have yet to buy a diesel sound chip but I love the steam sound board. Brilliant for the money. I imagine the electric sound chip would also do the required job.

Last edited:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most of my locos use MyLocoSound soundcards which are incredibly good value for money. Although my locos are battery powered the cards should work with analogue track power.

I've written a blog entry which shows how different types of soundcard can be interfaced with Deltang receivers, but it will give you an idea of how various battery/analogue soundcards compare.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/triggering-soundcards-with-deltang.html

Rik