An idea for GOLD BRAID on G scale uniforms

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I want to put some gold braid on my Motormens uniforms and though this may be a clever trick, though I am yet to try it....

Using mettalic embroidery thread ( in my case I'd be going for gold) with a microscopic drop of superglue affix to the cuff and wind sufficient turns to give the width required then secure with another microscopic drop of glue. The glueing of course would be done on an incospicuous place..... Trim with a scalpel.... Perhaps a clove hitch would be easier and trim and glue.
This should work certainly be a lot neater than my painting skills....

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
there are gold-sprays to spray on that very shiny gold, like playmobil uses.
spray a little into some cup and paint with a toothpic.

sometime back i found some of these markers, that have a tip with a spring inside. the golden ink is very thick, like paint.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
I thought this thread was to share an idea for gold braid, not a "Hey no, I have a better idea !" response. Anyway, I think the gold thread is a very good idea.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
vasim said:
I thought this thread was to share an idea for gold braid, not a "Hey no, I have a better idea !" response. Anyway, I think the gold thread is a very good idea.

It is a thread thread:rofl: Trev does come up with some innovative uses for materials some of us would never give a second glance at.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
ROSS said:
Very thin brass wire from a wine bottle cover (it's netting so needs unravelling).
Wow Ross an inspiration... fine brass wire to make spectacles for the crews....yes... great... lenses, maybe if they are dipped in clear laquer they would self glaze... I have rolls and rolls of very fine to quite thick brass wire, you can get it on ebay or at craft shops or beading shops, usually 10 metres for au$5 - 8....

I'm proposing the gold thread for a cuppla reasons 1) My wife has some 2) my skill painting fine neat straight lines is just non existent.... Even painting moustaches with a 10/0 brush was no good.... its my nerves, maybe I have Parkinsons, but when I have to have a steady hand these days its game over.... One of my sycophants here suggested plaiting the gold thread into a flat braid, no just too much detail...

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
vasim said:

Everyone always has "a better idea" about everything! ;)

"I DON'T think you wanted to do it like that..." [In whiny Harry Enfield voice] :D

Sound like a great idea to try, Trev, will look forward to seeing the results when you have a go! From what I've seen of gold embroidery thread (not really my field, I have to admit) is has the right kind of glittery almost "faceted" look that would do well to simulate uniform braid, I should think.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Zerogee said:
[
"I DON'T think you wanted to do it like that..." [In whiny Harry Enfield voice] :D

Sound like a great idea to try, Trev, will look forward to seeing the results when you have a go! From what I've seen of gold embroidery thread (not really my field, I have to admit) is has the right kind of glittery almost "faceted" look that would do well to simulate uniform braid, I should think.
Ok wtf is Harry Enfield?? ok we'll swap you; Rolf Harris can return if you keep Frank Spencer there...
Yes it has the exact "look" I want. The application is going to be the test, still I have 1.5km :rofl: of thread so I guess I can waste some on various tests. I'll have the flashest pens and pencils with psuedo G scale braid on them.......

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
trammayo said:
vasim said:

It is a thread thread:rofl: Trev does come up with some innovative uses for materials some of us would never give a second glance at.
Sorry, didn't mean to create a pun thread... And really I was hoping for some discussion, my ideas tend to be somewhat extreme at times so reality checks can be required.... I'll show the "dude" dressed in the lycra dragons suit that I can do this.... Another reason I like this forum I guess, no one calls me "Dude" as in like "Hey dude watcha doin with the golden threads man"..... It'll come I guess....

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
I take it you would'nt give me a hug and a kiss then if we ever met???:rofl::rofl::rofl:

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Just you chaps wait till you see the pics, immodest of me as it may appear this is a superb way to put gold braid on!!! A RIPPER.
Camera is on the fritz so have to wait till the "technician" fixes it so you can all gaze in awe at this..... it glitters like gold braid should glitter... Great stuff easily applied to divert the eyes of the rivet counter away from the real flaws....
Other uses? well this thread comes in a rainbow of mettallic colours so could be used for bangles and maybe even silver watches necklaces etc etc... I used red to put a collar on the Depot Mascot, a black lab cross.....

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Here's the result. I'm happy with this considering the quality of the figures to start with...
e01457d5528a4d5488367742b1e5ea3f.jpg
bfff6b186aef4bb3bb727b5d1d293b65.jpg
c92205b69b5d43e293bd78fd5e85a3cc.jpg
c35e2cff80ee46d28692ecde506f0428.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Looking great Trev - and paving looks great too!