An alternative bonkers Rugens kit bash idea...

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
More Photoshoppery...
41ae8c60313b4e05b8fe25ee6a0b7aa9.jpg

...inspired by Yugoslavian 2-6-2 race horses and some other Eastern European 0-8-0s

Another idea I've not yet drawn up is what if the Rugens tanks had been rebuilt like the ones on the KJI
http://www.pollo.de/fahrzeuge&fz=4644?PHPSESSID=3a5vi473r4p8sc1os9kgn6ak23 < Link To http://www.pollo.de/fahrz...i473r4p8sc1os9kgn6ak23
or this smaller 0-6-0T
http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/read.php?17,3302456,3302456 < Link To http://www.drehscheibe-fo...php?17,3302456,3302456

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice cab mods as well James - These 'go faster' raked back cabs are very indicative of the original.
Always reminds me of the 2-8-2s on the Molli.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Chaps - I picked up a Rugens today from Peter (whatlep) and the thinking cap has gone on - now I've got one in the flesh I can see that a tender engine is a major conversion so I suspect the tank will win the day. I am going to do a few real life mock ups with card before proceeding - but have a few other projects to finish off before I start on this one!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
Chaps - I picked up a Rugens today from Peter (whatlep) and the thinking cap has gone on - now I've got one in the flesh I can see that a tender engine is a major conversion so I suspect the tank will win the day. I am going to do a few real life mock ups with card before proceeding - but have a few other projects to finish off before I start on this one!
Enjoy it James. Hope Elly had a good day on the trains with dad too!

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Might be worth a quick look at page763 of novembers continental modeller:D

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Steve I'd spotted that LOVELY HOe model - that's what I have in mind, something perhaps a touch burlier though as I'm not tackling the boiler. How far I go on the cab, roof and bunker is also up for debate at present - I'd like to change the roof vent (easy), upper cab shape (hard) and add some foot holes in the sides of the bunker (medium).

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've started tinkering with mock ups - at the moment my head is struggling though because I've not settled on a plausible prototype...
The model is distinctly German, rather than Austrian or Heresfeldbahn (WW2 army locomotives) so I think I first need to work out how it came to be found in my slice of Austria. Once I've determined where it's come from I can decide on what sort of style I need to evoke in the design - and wether the Austrians would have rebuilt a well tank, or if it's better to model it as if they inherited it as a tank engine.

In my copy of 'Schmalspuring durch Osterreich' there is a photo of one of the 0-10-0 Saxon tanks that the Austrians inherited for a period post WW2 - they never received Austrian numbers... and I'm not sure if they were cut up or moved on... Can anyone help?

Also - can anyone help on plausible locations or reasons to find a typically German styled locomotive in Austria?

This initial play shows I can do a curve up from the existing running plate infront of the cab - and just paint the well tank black behind, to disguise it behind the new tank - and therefore not need to modify any of the valve gear or mountings...
ffbe3072788d45b9a6ae73f9798f0cfb.jpg

c701c524056e446db593748209ce84b0.jpg

7f5016edda60450c81826e7a81d590b2.jpg

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I know its only card but the young lad dosent hang around!!!!

Why only yesterday he was at the thougt stage, and today a craking looking piece of modeling:D:D

Well done that man:clap::clap:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Bruce - you've got me thinking now - thanks for translating... I've found some more information about Mittersill, and it does seem to be a test and storage location - and where several of the HF110C were found at the end of the war apparently....

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...afari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=1280&bih=623&prmd=imvns < Link To http://translate.google.c...h%3D623%26prmd%3Dimvns
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...afari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=1280&bih=623&prmd=imvns < Link To http://translate.google.c...h%3D623%26prmd%3Dimvns
http://translate.google.co.uk/trans....heeresfeldbahn.de/KDL%2011/fb2855/fb2855.htm < Link To http://translate.google.c...%2Ffb2855%2Ffb2855.htm

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Hi James, have you considered:
1 Extending the bottom of the tank forwards and curve it up only where access to the lifting & expansion links of the the valve gear is required?
2 A shallower cut off of the front end of the top of the tank to provide better visibilty for the driver?
I know its still early days in the design process........
6f293299aa044a44bbbfc974497112f2.jpg

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
David that's a couple of EXCELLENT suggestions - thank you. Visually subtle but do go someway to improving the look of the engine!

I've done some reading and it's interesting to note that the Rugens has a touch more power, and a lower axle loading than the Saxon IVK Meyers...

So perhaps I could argue that Vulcan built ten of the proven Rugen design (but with tanks rather than the well-tank) for the Saxon network between the wars - and during WW2 these ended up in Austria. The majority of these were on the Waldviertalbahn which ended up in the Russian sector so dissappeared and lost trace. However, one was found at Mittersill after the war and taken into EJ&KLR stock as 599.01

Plausible?

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Guess what I found on the German wikipedia - and translated in Google... (cough cough)

Heeresfeldbahnlok to the genus of the VI K of KSächs.Sts.EB

In 1917, the military testing department in Berlin placed an order with Vulcan Stettin for 10 locomotives specifically for two military narrow-gauge railways. In November 1918 the 8-coupled superheated steam engines were at Vulcan ready for collection.

The locomotives were designated with the names 7420V to 7429V however on 11 November 1918 Germany agreed to truce, so that these locomotives should no longer be required by the Heeresfeldbahn. In Saxony the IVK was at its limit and these Vulcan tanks in their low numbers could improve the situation. The Saxon State Railways seized the opportunity and bought all the machines at a price of 75,000 Reichsmarks. The first locomotive arrived already on Aug 28, 1919, 8 more followed in September and November and one straggler was delivered in May 1920.

The locomotives were assigned to the genus VI K and obtained the car numbers 301-310. The first four-axle superheated steam for narrow gauge was also the penultimate of Sächs.Sts.EB new acquisitions for the 750 mm track. The first test runs of the new species were completed in mid- September 1919, No. 301 between Kipsdorf and Dresden I. During the test drive the locomotive Nr.302 on 23 September 1919 was carried out a performance comparison with IV K No. 194th. The K VI was able to develop an approximately 25% higher performance. However, the four coupled axles derailed on the track quite often, so that the intended routes had to have immediate measures for strengthening and renewal. The extensive trial dragged on (unlike today) over 9 months to June 7th 1920. After the test drives, the engines were on the gradients of the Erzgebirge mountain grove after Kipsdorf and Heidenau to Altenberg and on the busy line Potschappel - stationed Nossen.

The German State Railroad Company took over all the machines and strung them together as 99470-99479 in the operation of the genus K44.6. The high-performance locomotives proved themselves generally very good, but the smoothness was due to the lack of forward axes something to be desired because the locomotives and rolling tended to swing. This was found to be the case with the Henschel VK five coupled tank engines also and the DRG therefore decided to obtain more copies of the Henschel to replace the last IK and decommission the oldest K to IV.

War losses and reparations
Had 99471 and 99472 according to the Eastern Front 1940-1943 Gozdow, but returned to the depot Nossen. Fared worse 99474 came from the Eastern Front in the RVD Kiev did not return. 99 470 and 99 473 were used from 1944 to 1948 on the Lower Austrian forest district before 99470 was shipped to Mittersill. 99470 was lost to the EJ&KLR and 99473 to the USSR as reparations.

So yes - a work of fiction, but believeable? Did I have anyone convinced? The above is actually a translation of the link Bruce posted about the Henschel VKs - with some details changed and re-worded.
Next up is to knock up a general arrangement drawing for added plausability!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Sounds entirelky likely to me James. The engine lost to DR after the war in Kiev later went to Bulgaria and eventually came to Ruritania. :D

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
I found that entirely plausable James. In fact if anyone looks over my shoulder at a picture of your finished loco and asks what it is ,I think I will be able to give them a full account of its history:thinking:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've drawn up this in Photoshop - a bodge of a few other drawings so it's not quite right but good enough for my 'history' - and I've commissioned a set of etched brass works plates from Narrow Planet as well...
4230d682c5a0400fa5871ae755b59050.jpg

With my van varnish disaster I took the opportunity to add the transfers required to that sheet so they're being ordered too, and the final bit of news - I ordered the plasticard required for the side tanks from Slaters today as well.

So that's the winter project sorted... I wonder if it'll be ready for Christmas train duties?

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
With me starting 'another' project it feels like I should give a bit of a status update on the Rugens bash...
I'm stalled - and I've put it on ice for a few months. Moving beyond the card mock ups that are bendy and flexible to a plasticard side tank it became apparent that the front of the tank's relationship to the cylinder block was unsatisfactory, visually unbalanced and a bit messy.
cd1ea95905a34e4c921376566d315143.jpg

I can't think of a way of rectifying that without major surgery which I didn't fancy at this moment in time.

However, I do still have some more gentle plans...
1) New roof vent arrangement - I hate the German flat porch type thing. Very un-Austrian (well Krauss)
2) Re-numbering - I'll be adding the number 599.01 and EJ&KLR transfers to the cab and ends
3) Works plates - custom etched brass works plates are being designed by Narrow Planet

So it will enter service as a well tank over the winter, but longer term I may return to this again - and try a few different mockups of the tank arrangement.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
James how about putting a small cut out in the bottom of each tank say 5mm high and 10mm long to clear the cylinder? It's a realistic way of doing it as they would do it to maximise water capacity by going over the cylinder but leaving enough room for a spanner, and hands, to get the cylinder top cover off to check the valves.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's the logical first thing but I didn't want to as it's not used very often on the prototype (lots of book and internet research) and also the tank already has a 'step' in it infront of the cab, and then again above where the motion is so I think 3 steps is too many.

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
What about a curved corner?

It would be normal practice as it would save either a weld or lot of rivets!!!