An alternative bonkers Rugens kit bash idea...

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
After my previous bonkers Rugens modification idea (http://www.gscalecentral.net/m160936 < Link To http://www.gscalecentral....160936.asp) I've been reading the book Schmalspurig Durch Osterreich and spotted something vaguely familiar from some of the German narrow gauge magazines from an Accucraft advert - a big Saxon 0-10-0T.
15f55f4f4f164bc39f8553a7b34e2c8a.jpg

d8c3f510346043e3a4333053f99a4123.jpg

22f8fb6c12794efba533f087328284d7.jpg

9f99cad44c1b4643af0a38771b73d4b0.jpg

The Rugens is a smaller more compact looking locomotive than the 0-10-0 - but just like my Frank S conversion that doesn't bother me as the EJ&KLR is a freelance Austrian inspired line.

I'd intend to work on the cab area (not shown in my mock up) to give more of a Saxon look to this part.

I think the tank conversion edges the tender on practical grounds - but other than that what do people think? I suspect the Px48 will get more votes...

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
wow james~! bloody brillent:clap:

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
I know that it is just a mock up but it certainly looks 'factory' to me, to the point that you need to look twice to make sure it isn't just a cut 'n' paste image from the current LGB or Piko catalogue!

BTW what solvent/glue did you use to attach the plasticard fabrications to the original LGB loco body in your previous conversion James?
I've not tried modding any LGB items yet but 'heard' that it was a bit of a devil to find a solvent that works - is this truth or fallacy?

Nemo

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Best answers
Country flag
Now that looks good James. The side tanks makes the Rugans well tank loco look compleatly different.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Chris - I just used Superglue - the key is to remove the paint from the surface first, as what seems to happen is this is what the superglue bonds to and then can peel off - once I realised this the bonds have been very robust. I wouldn't treat it roughly, but I've no qualms about picking it up where the new tanks were laminated onto the existing tanks - it's pretty tough.

I didn't expect to get such positive feedback on the mock up chaps - thank you :)

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
you are quite brave to modify a rugens!!

thats a pricey little patient for surgery imho
but you do great work
best

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Both have the potential to be excellent models, Hmmm I think the big tank gets my vote.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It's a real quandry...
The tank is more versatile, and more useful, and easier... but totally ficticious (well 'inspired' but ficticious).
The tender engine is bigger - less obvious for the EJ&KLR, more complex to build with new cab and a tender - but more of a caracature of the original PX48 - especially the Romanian version I favour (http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/read.php?17,4405080 < Link To http://www.drehscheibe-fo...en/read.php?17,4405080 - scroll down, you'll see them).

We'll see - if things go to plan I'll be sourcing a Rugens around Christmas time for the project :)

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
jameshilton said:
Chris - I just used Superglue - the key is to remove the paint from the surface first, as what seems to happen is this is what the superglue bonds to and then can peel off - once I realised this the bonds have been very robust. I wouldn't treat it roughly, but I've no qualms about picking it up where the new tanks were laminated onto the existing tanks - it's pretty tough..........

Thanks for the info James :clap:

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
I'd be asking my operations manager if sufficient coal and water could be accommodated by the tank engine, and my civil engineer if the weight of the tank engine was suitable for the line - I assume the reason for a tender engine would be to distribute the required weight of engine, coal and water across more axles. If both answered in the affirmative I'd definitely go for the tank if it were my railway because I like more compact loco's on the narrow gauge.

On the other hand, you've already done one tank conversion so it might be more entertaining for you to take on a different challenge - only you can decide on that!

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
CSD U58.001 (typo in the book!!) has always been of interest to me. (The Czech Kryspin numbering system: U - narrow gauge, 5 -driving axels, 8, -axel loading weight and .001 is actual loco number).

Since U58.001 ended up in Czechoslovkaia on the cross-border Frýdlantské okresní dráhy/Friedländer Bezirksbahn line (the only 750mm line in the Austria-Hungarian empire) it did NOT get the "Reko" treatment of the other VIK class locos, so it was closer to "as built" than the DR VIK loks.

The line crossed before WWI between Germany and Austria, becoming Germany and Czechoslovakia after WWI until 1938. After WWII, the line crossed from Zittau through the DDR, Poland then into Czechoslovakia. By this period only some cars were interchanged, no locomotives.

Because of this, after WWII, the DRG VIK was stuck in CS, and one of the CSD U loks was stuck in the DDR, becoming DR 99 4712. The three U locos of the FBB were the only 750mm gauge ones built.

Interesting project regardless!

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
James,

The tank gets my vote. There is something huge and bulky about them. If your last one in anything to go on you will get the image you want. Go for it.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
On a purely personal level I prefer the tank so I'd go with the gut feeling mate. Only comment I'd make on the mock up, which looked real to me!, is make the tanks a shade taller as too much boiler shows compared to the Saxon locos. Might just be the high angle of the photo mind you? If you're going to modify the cab the front windows cease to be an issue with the tank height.
Can't wait to see the result whichever loco you choose. ;)

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great, but, there is always a but - It is crying out for 10 wheels.
How about a Marklin gauge one donor or even the chassis block from the LGB 2-10-2. I saw one on a german site for £450 - alot of cash but the Rugens ai'nt cheap.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'm working on a Photoshop using the same base image for the PX48... I think I could pair this with the chassis from the LGB 2 axle sound tender, or the tender from a Frank S with a modified body and cab back to model a Romanian example.

I could do with getting my hands on a Rugens before I buy one to see how they come apart. From the exploded parts diagram I THINK you can take the 'well tank' moulding out of the assembly without effecting anything else and the boiler is still full round. This would allow the PX48 model to have the typical 'light above the wheels' (although the wheels are a touch on the large size I think). The Rugens boiler is a touch larger diameter, shorter in length so would give a huskier, more chunky version - but could still capture the look of the original (i.e. a post war 'new build' utility narrow gauge locomotive).

Thinking about the two options - the tank engine might just look a bit big for the length of trains... and the tender engine could be explained by the heavier weight of the 0-8-0, required to increase tractive effort, meant the the coal and water needed to be carried in a tender. The shorter line allowing the use of a 2-axle tender - perhaps reused from an older steam engine - with a rebuilt body?
Hmmm....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Haven't you got the tender left over from your converted Frank S, James, or did you sell it off in the end?

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sold on Jon - to PaulRHB IIRC. It ended up making the Frank S cost just £125 after I sold all the bits I didn't want/need! Thing is I don't need a powered tender, or even one with pick ups for this project so it would have been overkill, but does feel a bit like the benefit of hindsight... but the money saved back then paid for the vans I got earlier this summer.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing..... ;)

I guess if you don't need a powered tender, then there is nothing to stop you simply scratchbuilding one for very little cost - after all, fundamentally it's little more than a fancy box on a couple of axles. Alternatively, maybe even an old Playmobil one or something like that as the basis?

Finding a Rugen cheap enough to chop and modify may be trickier, but good luck with it!