An alternative bonkers Rugens kit bash idea...

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's a fresh idea Steve, thanks.
Paul - only with major body surgery to remove the well tank... if I do that then I can do anything to the tank, but I've not worked out how the Rugens splits down into parts yet to see how easy or difficult to remove and how structural the well tank is...

Hence 'on ice' whilst I mull it over :)

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
I've not worked out how the Rugens splits down into parts yet to see how easy or difficult to remove and how structural the well tank is...
The well tank is the basis of the entire structure James and contains the long motor. The parts chart/ disassembly assistance is here:
http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_pr...CF070E011A08525693F004C95B2/$FILE/28001-1.pdf
This model might be a source of inspiration. It even uses an LGB Rugen as its basis.
http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=8990

There's always the DRG class 81 too:
http://www.bahnbilder.de/name/einzelbild/number/1269/kategorie/Deutschland~Dampfloks~BR+81.html

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This project is continuing in a 'reduced' capacity - to initially just lightly modify the Rugens so I can put it into service on the line without it looking out of place. The work entailed is a little bit less 'drastic' but I hope will life the LGB base model and make it different enough to most people's version for now.

FABRICATE NEW BITS
[*]Fit new roof sliding hatch[*]Fit roof hooks[*]Rivets on roof hatch[*]Fill front holes in smokebox[*]New number panel[*]Fit water hatch handles[*]Fit handle to smokebox door
PAINTING and PREP
[*]Rub down all existing markings on black[*]Mask around roof to apply primer[*]Primer roof[*]Remove / mask air pump[*]Mask windows, lamps, chassis/wheels/motion and boiler (possible not boiler)[*]Paint cab, bunker and smokebox door satin black airbrush (possibly dust over boiler)[*]Detail paint red handles, yellow junction boxes and touch up handle/whistle/bell with satin black[*]Gloss varnish where transfers airbrush[*]Transfers[*]Satin varnish all over satincote airbrush[*]Remove masking[*]Add oil can to side of well tank[*]Add etched brass works plate to cab-side[*]Fit coal to bunker
So far I've started with the roof - this is fabricated out of very small C section plastruct and some plasticard. First a base 49mm square of 15 thou was superglued to the roof to cover the 'holes'. This was edged with the C-section. Then a piece 25x49.5mm was cut from 30 thou and superglued on top and into the channel to represent a sliding cover. I will be adding small rivets to the leading edge to represent where handles are attached on the inside.
ac10ae14eeb14bd5a6c0d1dbf0041a2a.jpg

d81a2a1f4f75457982cd198096448655.jpg

Tonight I'll carve off some of the moulded details and begin to replace with brass wire.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've been fortunate enough to spend some more time on the new identity to the Rugens tonight - I can't call it a kitbash anymore, not unless I do the tanks at a later date...

Anyhow I decided to skip the primer and used a slightly thinner mix of satin black building up the finish over half an hour - I'll apply a second coat in a few days. I also sprayed the cab sides, bunker and smokebox door. She's looking sharp again - and what a difference those wire loops make on the roof and such an easy modification. I'm really please with the sliding hatch too - I hope that's enough of a visual difference to start with - certainly a conversation point.

eebb71eab7f943e08a1fc6eeb7ea4986.jpg

cc507a401d8c41a1a4a35a8dd6f35e1e.jpg

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have finished the roof and applied the transfers - so tonight will seal them with satin varnish. The custom Vulcan works plates are on order from Narrow Planet.

A few ideas of more of an Austrian outline of tank conversion have been formulated, but for now this change of identity will be sufficient to allow operation on the line :)

d79c05b11609480abd0d869e64aee356.jpg

07c0fc6bb3d0456da3835cad06a0ace5.jpg

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
A few photos of the Rugens in the daylight, still awaiting coal in the bunker - and the custom Vulcan works plates will be a few weeks from Narrow Planet (http://www.narrowplanet.co.uk). ...36/7b02b817902a466caa7ccf9bd402990d.jpg[/IMG]

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Fascinating James. It's amazing what a difference small things like the new front numberplate, rimless lights and the hatch all make. Cracking build! :clap:

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Fantastic paint work James loco's looking very nice :clap:

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps - it's only a partial re-spray, just where the old numbers were and then the new smaller front number plate, but it matched in well under a coat of satin varnish. I'd still like to think about doing more with it one day, but for now it's different enough from the U-class and Frank S tank to give me three plausible but different steam locomotives to haul trains.

I think the biggest change to a Rugens is removing the gold bits really - it makes such a visual difference. The roof hatch and front numberplate are just to make it a bit more 'Austrian' really. I think they're definitely partially effective to that ends.

I've also successfully re-programmed the speed settings on the chip thanks to Peter's messages so she runs a lot more consistently with my other locos now :)

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well they've been quite a wait, but boy were they worth it...

Today - my custom etched brass works plates from Steve at Narrow Planet (http://www.narrowplanet.co.uk) arri...or some heavy goods traffic over Christmas!!!

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Very, very nice.