American style cafe or store, and female guitarist figure

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's looking fantastic, Steve! Loving all the little details. :)
Where did you get the girl guitarist from, she looks like a Preiser-style figure sculpt but I don't recall ever seeing that one before - is she a US brand?

Jon.

Edit: is she made from a mix of the parts in a Preiser "Eve" set, maybe...?

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That's looking fantastic, Steve! Loving all the little details. :)
Where did you get the girl guitarist from, she looks like a Preiser-style figure sculpt but I don't recall ever seeing that one before - is she a US brand?

Jon.

Edit: is she made from a mix of the parts in a Preiser "Eve" set, maybe...?

Thank you.
im afraid i have not the talent to cobble together anything creative from the eve set. (The best i was able to do is pose a nude woman as though she were leaning back, sitting, one leg extended, one dangling as if on the rim of a water tank, bathing. (ala Petticoat Junction i thought, didn't actually display her though. Originally i thought id do some hot tub scene, but, i just couldnt find a way that it wouldnt look forced and adolescently purient.)

The guitarist was a must have for me, as i too play. I was taken especially with the accuracy and delicacy of her finger positions, the hands and feet.

She Is a MAiM model, Model Armies in Miniature. I bought her off flea bay (actually 2 by mistake) from an australian seller, but i believe the company is German. She is a 3d print model. She had tiny little layers, which i went over with 600 grit, lightly, then primed. The detailing is exquisite, hands, feet, guitar actually has frets, although the neck relief is abysmal, no tuning pegs knobs however...LOL!

It seems, from perusing flea bay, MAim makes some fantasy war type figures, some cheesecake woman soldiers, and some very good middle east civilians.

Couldn't quite bring myself to attempt to paint a rosette on the guitar. As such, to my eye, it looks like a cheap beginner's guitar being so plain. She is supposedly 1:24, but is "petite" indeed. next to a preiser figure she looks simply like a smaller woman. Her clothing seems to be an army style tank top, parachute pants without pockets, and, some garment i couldnt id around her waist.

Her clothing folds are unusually deep, so much so i didn't try to shade them.

in looking over these photos, it seems indeed my painting accuracy has diminished a good deal........

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Lovemaking modelling Steve

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you.
im afraid i have not the talent to cobble together anything creative from the eve set. (The best i was able to do is pose a nude woman as though she were leaning back, sitting, one leg extended, one dangling as if on the rim of a water tank, bathing. (ala Petticoat Junction i thought, didn't actually display her though. Originally i thought id do some hot tub scene, but, i just couldnt find a way that it wouldnt look forced and adolescently purient.)

The guitarist was a must have for me, as i too play. I was taken especially with the accuracy and delicacy of her finger positions, the hands and feet.

She Is a MAiM model, Model Armies in Miniature. I bought her off flea bay (actually 2 by mistake) from an australian seller, but i believe the company is German. She is a 3d print model. She had tiny little layers, which i went over with 600 grit, lightly, then primed. The detailing is exquisite, hands, feet, guitar actually has frets, although the neck relief is abysmal, no tuning pegs knobs however...LOL!

It seems, from perusing flea bay, MAim makes some fantasy war type figures, some cheesecake woman soldiers, and some very good middle east civilians.

Couldn't quite bring myself to attempt to paint a rosette on the guitar. As such, to my eye, it looks like a cheap beginner's guitar being so plain. She is supposedly 1:24, but is "petite" indeed. next to a preiser figure she looks simply like a smaller woman. Her clothing seems to be an army style tank top, parachute pants without pockets, and, some garment i couldnt id around her waist.

Her clothing folds are unusually deep, so much so i didn't try to shade them.

in looking over these photos, it seems indeed my painting accuracy has diminished a good deal........

Steve, thanks for the info - may have to investigate those! ;)

Nothing wrong with being "adolescently purient" if one can get away with it... some of us consider it an art form. :D

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, right! We'll believe you..
:lipssealed:

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
and, some garment i couldnt id around her waist.
It rendered as a flannel shirt would suit the scene nicely.
Also,
Being a general store, in my vision it needs a dog; maybe her dog, maybe the store's dog, sitting/lying and watching her play.

Last edited:

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
A painting note: a couple decades back I came across a note that when painting blonde hair, mixing white and gold in varying ratios gives good blonde hues.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
1 i knew it was auto correct because paul isnt from nigeria…i wasnt put off one jot
2 i was indeed looking at the hair, i tried a chestnut under coat, and mixed some white and sienna, hoping for some streaking….got exactly nothing.currently looks like clay.
Ill try a wash of white and gold.(metallic ? Or ochre?) Next one will be a brunette or, red head.
3 i have been thinking of reverse painting a sign in the large window, but dont think i can do it really well.
got a few candidate dogs. Need a porch light under the overhang, one by or over the door. Cant paint clothing stripes, im pretty certain….Checkers, etc convincingly, especially when i cant really envision the garment.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well i tried an acrylic metallic gold for hair highlights, wow. its great.
very subtle, yet notably iridescent.

used a very thin dry brush, after using a bit of yellow ochre to brighten it up.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful! The scene reminds me of places that used to serve a thick sliced bologna sandwich, RC cola, and moon pie. The barefoot guitar player would have been a rainy day dream.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Funny, i wanted to have the vending machine be RC, but could not find a decal. Fwiw, the old RC machines were also that marigold color.
“RC, best by taste test.’ ‘Rc tastes best” are 2 i remember from old radio programs. Im sure there were others.

RC, was “invented” as a less expensive southern US grocery store brand than coke and pepsi. Ie it wasnt a separate beverage company.

Although i rarely ever have soft drinks, i do prefer RC.

Last edited: