FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So, those are my locos, QSI decoders with several speakers.

I normally put a speaker in the roof near the front of the loco so the bell and horn sound better, not coming out of the fuel tank under the loco.

Unfortunately no grill on the top, so my good buddy Dave Stubbs made small enclosures with 2 high frequency speakers firing out the sides (here you see 4 such units)

20190504_193111.jpg

This fits inside the loco shell, firing out the side grilles. These also have mounts for the decoder, below you see an assembly mounted inside.

20190504_193040.jpg

The rear cooling fan also gets a speaker:
IMG_2687.jpg

There is also a speaker in the fuel tank:
20190505_091646.jpg

All in all 4 speakers in each loco.

The recording does not do it justice as compared to hearing it in person. I will get a better microphone.

Greg
Greg, are you able to route the bell and horn sounds to just the front speakers or do all speakers sound simultaneously?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
TAC, almost all DCC sound cards will work fine on DC, and some even allow remote control with the direction switch.... a topic for another thread.

Father, there are 32 independently controllable sounds on the QSI decoder, and there are 32 volume controls, and 32 faders, one for each sound, to fade the sound between either of 2 speakers which of course have independent class D amplifiers.

So you can take any of the 32 sounds, adjust it's volume and output it all one speaker or all the other speaker or anywhere in between.

Greg