ALCO RS-3 Diesel Loco problem

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
West Midlands United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have just purchased an ALCO RS-3 Diesel Loco. After a bit of searching I found the panel on the top that lifts up to
give access to the on - off switches for the smoke and fan etc. Unfortunately it will not produce any smoke so I think it has been run with it switched on and no fluid and the element is burned out. Can anyone please tell me how to fix the problem and where to get any replacement parts.
Thank you.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So there are 2 different implementations of the smoke system.

the early one has a large module that pops out of the top, that has the smoke unit in it, and internally there is a hose to the fan located at the end of the long hood. This unit can be found on the used market, and is not too expensive.

Below is a picture of the fan in the long end, with the ducting and hose removed
long_hood.jpg

Later years the fan motor and the hose and the heater were replaced with the modern smoke unit.

Here is an old style unit with the smoke unit supplanted with the modern all in one smoke unit (which is what you should do)
100_3889.JPG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oh Boy!

Could this prove to be another one for me?

Wot Greg says..

If you get *really* stuck.. I have a USA Trains smoke unit here, which could probably be grafted into your RS3? - I also have an RS3 'on the bench' here, but you would not recognise it! :eek::eek:o_O

PhilP.

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
They are fun to work on, way too many screws, poor coupler mounting, but I love the model, how it looks, and the opportunity to use the Alco sound file, which sounds like the prime mover will shake itself to bits any time now.

I do have a page of the various versions and differences on my site.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Do you remember the 'butchered' one, I had here? - Sprayed all-over green, with the walkways etc. sawn-off?
It has come back for a MOT, and 'sorting-out'..

PhilP.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
no i don't, is there a link to another thread?

Very probably, long-gone.. It may only have appeared in the Coffee Lounge?

i'll see if I can dig it out. - I need to get it sorted, and returned..
But, if of a nervous disposition (regarding the blatant chopping of US motive-Power);) you may wish to look away!?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
They are fun to work on, way too many screws, poor coupler mounting, but I love the model, how it looks, and the opportunity to use the Alco sound file, which sounds like the prime mover will shake itself to bits any time now.

Greg

Got a sample of the PM sound, Greg?? I'm really missing big diesel grumbles/rumbles...

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use mostly QSI with the emulator files for alco...

The QSI software and the sound file can be downloaded and played on your computer... but I realize you may not want to go to that effort just to satisfy curiosity.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I use mostly QSI with the emulator files for alco...

The QSI software and the sound file can be downloaded and played on your computer... but I realize you may not want to go to that effort just to satisfy curiosity.

Greg, you KNOW I'm ALWAYS that curious - 33 years in military intelligence just has to make me that way!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag

WOW!!!!!!!

Mrs tac was not the happiest bunny in the street when I turned it up 'life-sized'. Tee and hee.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, those are my locos, QSI decoders with several speakers.

I normally put a speaker in the roof near the front of the loco so the bell and horn sound better, not coming out of the fuel tank under the loco.

Unfortunately no grill on the top, so my good buddy Dave Stubbs made small enclosures with 2 high frequency speakers firing out the sides (here you see 4 such units)

20190504_193111.jpg

This fits inside the loco shell, firing out the side grilles. These also have mounts for the decoder, below you see an assembly mounted inside.

20190504_193040.jpg

The rear cooling fan also gets a speaker:
IMG_2687.jpg

There is also a speaker in the fuel tank:
20190505_091646.jpg

All in all 4 speakers in each loco.

The recording does not do it justice as compared to hearing it in person. I will get a better microphone.

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does the volume "go to '11'"? :devil::devil::)

A total strip-out of the original boards, by the looks?

If you still have original Aristocraft boards, I may have to have a 'conversation' in the future.. :wondering:

PhilP.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
@Greg - I only have track power here and at the club, or for my Aristo locos, a tow-behind battery car. All the DCC gear is a never-no-mind for me, but being mostly deef, I DO like to hear a good loud diesel rumble.

@PhlP - At last I've gotten around to reading you kindly-provided advice about setting up my three r/c-less locos. The Baguley-Drewry was a cinch - no problems there - but the RH 'Harlech Castle' is a complete mystery. I set it upside down to reach the r/x, which is held against the front crossbeam of the chassis on DSST. Upside down it works perfectly. Turn it the right way up and nothing happens at all. Re-binding it does the job all over.

I'm seriously considering dumping ALL this gear and replacing it with something else a little less fractious, but there are three locos needing this done - the last is an Accucraft K27, and having THAT idle gathering dust is irksome, to say the least.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does Harlech Castle go 'off' (electrically), or just no control, but still 'on'?

If the former, then a lose connection, somewhere..
If the latter, then you may need the aerial to be in a different position?? :nerd:

PhilP.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Back to the RS3..

I could find the thread about the early sound card, which was removed.. But could not find any pictures of the beast..

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Does Harlech Castle go 'off' (electrically), or just no control, but still 'on'?

If the former, then a lose connection, somewhere..
If the latter, then you may need the aerial to be in a different position?? :nerd:

PhilP.

Mornin', PhlP - the light remains on, but there is no control. Guess I'll have to look for the aerial - it is not evident.....

I'll be back.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mornin', PhlP - the light remains on, but there is no control. Guess I'll have to look for the aerial - it is not evident.....

I'll be back.
Is Harlech Castle metal bodied? can sometimes be an issue, but my Yeti has not been troublesome with the aerial being close to a window in the cab (it was an experiment that went right first time - serendipity).

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
'kay. Seems to be all good now, AND I've got the K-27 running just fine as well.

Recommendations from you and Greg to replace the current sound system with something more realistic would be appreciated, bearing in mind that I do NOT have DCC. Money is not that important, since we haven't had a vacation in Canada or Oregon for two years now. The locosound in the diesels is fine, but in a big steamer......................................................

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The locosound in the diesels is fine, but in a big steamer......................................................

The latest MLS universal steam are better. - To my way of thinking, the whistles let them down..
Depending on how many 'things' you would *really* like to play with.. We could use a DCC sound decoder, and probably get 2-3 other triggers for whistle, bell, what-have-you.**

**DCC will work for sound analogue/RC, just have to pick the right chip.. I will have a look at what is supposedly available on the MLS steamy-sounds..

But................
We ought not to be hogging the Alco RS3 thread with this? :(