Alco Analogue Sound Card

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I recently brought an analogue sound card with an Alco sound, presumably for a ART or USAT Diesel, but when I received it, all the wiring had been cut for the speakers, power, and other sensors, so I'm now trying to work out what goes where.

The pcb is 140 mm x 40 mm, and it has a connector for a 9 volt PP3 battery (which I've had to replace due to corrosion), 2 blue wires which I reckon might be from the motor, a grey wire with a yellow/red stripe wire, and 2 white wires, which may be for the speaker, but could be for a switch.

Is there anyone here that can identify the card from the above description please? And point me to a linky for instructions/wiring diagram

I'll post a photo later, as I haven't got my camera with me atm....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Does it look like this.......

514f2de28f444d9f821cda54e105dce7.jpg

If it does try this site Gizzy

http://www.elmassian.com/trains-mai...ronics-mainmenu-225/sound-systems/p-h-hobbies < Link To http://www.elmassian.com/...nd-systems/p-h-hobbies

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Okay, here's a photo of the card....

b96bc75adbc64340ada6412a3da3ee09.jpg

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahhh yes am I right in assuming that it was the one that was for sale by 'littletone' I think

I did a fair bit of research on it when it first came up for sale and at first I thought that it was a PH Hobbies card but 'minimans' said it was probably Srarr-Craft. I could not find anything on this old card under Starr-Craftand so I left it. But knowing you Gizzy you will probably dig far deeper than I did and come up with it. It definitely is analoguebut the wiring.....your guess and all that 8|

ca56a39119264ce3b1edcf99e49711d7.jpg

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Ahhh yes am I right in assuming that it was the one that was for sale by 'littletone' I think

I did a fair bit of research on it when it first came up for sale and at first I thought that it was a PH Hobbies card but 'minimans' said it was probably Srarr-Craft. I could not find anything on this old card under Starr-Craftand so I left it. But knowing you Gizzy you will probably dig far deeper than I did and come up with it. It definitely is analoguebut the wiring.....your guess and all that 8|

images
Ah that helps Mike?

It does say PHH in the middle of the pcb, so I'll have a Google of both that and Starr Craft and see if I can come up with some info....

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
My reasoning for it being a PH Hobbies card was that Aristo used to put them in their locos and the Alco is one of their stable of diesels.
The ones on the Greg's site are a newer incarnation of the one that you have and that one was for using in big diesels or in following wagons/cars.
Good luck.I drew a blank but............ the truth is out there..........................................

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just been able to look at this pcb again in the workshop; it says TTE in the centre and not PPH as I thought when at home last night.

There is also the code DM1 with a C below on the etch.

With Mike's photo and this info, does anyone have any info on this card please?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
TTE could be Tony's Train Exchange, but it's just a guess.

I'd suggest post photo and question on one of the US forums like MyLargeScale.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
TTE could be Tony's Train Exchange, but it's just a guess.

I'd suggest post photo and question on one of the US forums like MyLargeScale.

it hasnt got batteries or a keyboard so not one of those
Tony

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Looking at the board and wiring I'm still sure that that is a Starr Tech sound unit, There should be two wires for the horn trigger two for rail current pick up and two for the battery 9V I'm sure I don't have any of these left in my parts box's but I'll see if I have any paperwork lying around somewhere..................Paul.............

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I've just stripped one of these boards out of a second hand alco FA, which had been converted to radio control.
I have in mind a conversion and repaint, but that's for another day....

Wiring....mine didn't have any external triggers for horn, bell, whistle etc

Using the second ( better ) picture....

The bottom left hand wires are for the speaker....my loco had an 8 ohm speaker...the volume is adjusted by the pot nearest the corner of the board. So in your case....yellow and grey.

The pot in the middle of the board...I'm not sure what this does,maybe it changes the mix of sounds horn/motor?

Now, the other wires, top left. The middle pair are for the track, and the outer pair for the backup 9 volt battery, + is at the corner..and it is diode protected if you get it the wrong way round. In your case, the blue wires go to the track, and the red/black to the battery, which will need an on/off switch.

Don't expect the best sound quality....to match the modern digital reproductions..!!!

Malcolm

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Malcolm.

I first started this thread in Nov 2011, so 2 1/2 years ago.

I may still have the pcb somewhere but I'm unable to locate it for the time being.

I may get around to looking at it one day if I haven't skipped it....

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
[e]88[/e][e]88[/e][e]88[/e][e]88[/e][e]88[/e][e]88[/e][e]88[/e]

I can't offer Malcolm a round of applause for tenacity, but he deserves it.
2014 answer to a 2011 question - thats whats so good about this place.

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, I wanted to find out for myself what the card can do, a google search ( think I used DM1 sound ) revealed this forum page.
Still don't have any info for the external contacts for bell etc...
The picture shows two wires....

M

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
And further digging has revealed the steam loco sound version....steam-sound_card.jpgsteam_sound_card_2.jpg

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The card is labelled SS2D
Connections, red and black wires to the 9 volt battery to sustain sounds for a short time whilst no track power; and black wires to the track....all these are at the top left of image 1

Top middle, black and green, 8 ohm speaker

Bottom middle, two green wires, trigger for whistle???

I've not yet had a chance to power this card up, I suspect that the single pot is the volume control

Malcolm