Adding extra weight to the Bachmann Tram

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As an observation - is the weight of the battery pack going to give a riding issue, or is it not heavy enough to worry about?

So I thought I would elucidate how I added weight to this tram, however this could be applied on any loco, I use divers ballast and resin.

In this case the additional weight is to counterbalance the weight of the batteries, which weighed in at 96 grams.

First I build a container from styrene that should be of sufficient size to hold the weight and will fit the location:
DSC_0207.JPG

Although the container is thoroughly with a liquid styrene glue of your choice, in the instance Slaters Mek-Pak, experience has shown they can leak, so masking tape is applied to the container:

DSC_0208.JPG

The weight of choice divers bagged ballast, (I use to use lead shot, but also no longer available). Working out that the resin required would be about 15 -20 grams, 80 grams was the weight of the container and ballast:

DSC_0209.JPG

The resin mixed and poured, until the weight is achieved, in this case total weight is 96 grams:

DSC_0210.JPG

Weight made it is fixed in place, in this case with Velco, I only use the genuine article, if it is good enough to hold some aircraft components in place it will hold this weight.

DSC_0211.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting way of doing it and very neat Jimmy. I think there is an alternative to lead shot in fishing tackle shops that may be more readily accessible to those of us not so close to the sea. Have to say I have a modest supply of old car lead balancing weights and roofing led that could be cut and moulded into a resin shape much as you have done.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting way of doing it and very neat Jimmy. I think there is an alternative to lead shot in fishing tackle shops that may be more readily accessible to those of us not so close to the sea. Have to say I have a modest supply of old car lead balancing weights and roofing led that could be cut and moulded into a resin shape much as you have done.
Jon, when my supply of lead shot ran out, it took some searching to find an alternative, and as lead is now subject REACH, finding a none lead alternative was important to me.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, when my supply of lead shot ran out, it took some searching to find an alternative, and as lead is now subject REACH, finding a none lead alternative was important to me.
I think the country shooting stores have had a lead alternative for a while - yer pheasant just doesn't taste the same any more :(:(

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
No more lead ! Oil based paints on their way out ! Red lead paint has been banned for decades ! When you know better, you do better. I agree, but if one is a responsible user of said Bad Stuff, I see little danger in using them.

And let me add this bit of thought. Does anyone think all of the plastics and other modern materials are any better for us or the environment ? Lead does float about in the ocean and create new land masses. The red lead used on bridges, like the Golden Gate at one time isn't being chewed by toddlers. And what makes us feel that whatever is in water based paints is any safer than oil based ?

I could go on and on but I won't. I've already taken too much license and don't want to steal this thread or make it go off in a different tangent.

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
No more lead ! Oil based paints on their way out ! Red lead paint has been banned for decades ! When you know better, you do better. I agree, but if one is a responsible user of said Bad Stuff, I see little danger in using them.

And let me add this bit of thought. Does anyone think all of the plastics and other modern materials are any better for us or the environment ? Lead does float about in the ocean and create new land masses. The red lead used on bridges, like the Golden Gate at one time isn't being chewed by toddlers. And what makes us feel that whatever is in water based paints is any safer than oil based ?

I could go on and on but I won't. I've already taken too much license and don't want to steal this thread or make it go off in a different tangent.
It would be interesting to see how history judges us :nod::nod::nod:

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I use the weights the tire fitters use to balance wheels when a tyre is changed or repaired, I have no idea what they are made from, some form of lead substitute I suspect, but I get them for nowt and they do the same job as lead weights.
They do need a good clean, which could probably be done in a dish washer, or warm soapy water with a brush as I clean them.

The important part is they a free, the car garage only throws them away so it also save them money.

David

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
we have changed to zinc here, years ago, including trains and car wheels, etc. some steel also if you were following this with Aristo craft locos.

Still get lead from divers weights, and fishing sinkers.

be careful if you mix weight pellets with glue, I did one with titebond and the glue absorbed moisture and the whole mess expanded a bit.

Greg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
we have changed to zinc here, years ago, including trains and car wheels, etc. some steel also if you were following this with Aristo craft locos.

Still get lead from divers weights, and fishing sinkers.

be careful if you mix weight pellets with glue, I did one with titebond and the glue absorbed moisture and the whole mess expanded a bit.

Greg
PVA type glue and lead is a big no-no quite a few examples of the expansion damaging models, hence why I started with resin when using lead, and have continued with resin with the alternate item.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I indeed noticed that you did not make the mistake I did. My post was to specifically warn not to use PVA glue.

I don't know a lot about the general purpose glues, in the USA people think that this stuff is the answer to all prayers.

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I did something similar to add weight to my two LGB 50050 equipped track cleaning cars. Wrapped tape around the spring loaded shoe plungers to keep them clear of the glue, filled them with lead shot from diving weights then potted the lead in epoxy. It greatly improves their effectiveness and eliminated the need to add additional weight, other than metal wheelsets, to the wagons.

50050 - 1.jpeg

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
When I was "potting" lead shot, I tried some really "thick" blocks and they got pretty warm as the epoxy "cured" .... I made a note to perhaps do in 1 inch layers if I ever had to do a really thick one.

Greg