Acme Sound units

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
This was posted on the 16mm ngm forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y5vaPKHf50&feature=colike < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...f50&feature=colike

Just wondered if anyone here has used Acme sound units - they seem to be good value for money (£36 a throw).

WWW.ACMESTEAM.CO.UK

I've decided to build a couple of battery locos to augment my DCC stock. I don't think the sounds vary with the speed, though.

Rik

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
I have not used these boards but sometimes similar ones have a variable resistor to alter the speed of the engine (set manually)
If it has, it could be replaced by a light sensitive resisitor which when placed in a sealed plastic tube with a bulb at the other end will vary the engine speed as the voltage increases ie more voltage applied to the motor. I have used this with a maplins steam sound generator and it works.
You will need to experiment with the voltage of the bulb used to obtain optimum results.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
well they sound very good to me for the price might have to risk at least one to play with... a lot better than other cheap units available

Tony

Hobo

Narrow Gauge Railways
9 Dec 2011
Nottinghamshire
wllr.webs.com
Best answers
I've used the gardiner Multi-cylinder, Lister 2 cylinder and "steam" sound cards in several loco's over a period of time (in fact the Baguley, Jessie, Simplex and Bagnall in the vid are my loco's ;) )
There's no speed adjustment at all, but the "fluctuating" engine beat with the diesel sound card just seems to sound "right" for everything from stationary tickover to running.
Great value at the price considering the fact that everything is included - even a battery!
The small footprint of the card is also a boon, I even shoe-horned one into the little Simplex to avoid having to have a permanently coupled wagon.

Footnote:- even though I disposed of my steam outline battery loco's I'm now "doing" another...... I guess the video release is a timely reminder that I'll need to save up and order another card!!

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Kev does the steam one not change speed. ive seen the one of a fairly and that sounds.... "fairly" good (sorry pun intended) with the little diesels it doesnt matter that much as they dont need to travel that fast

Tony

Hobo

Narrow Gauge Railways
9 Dec 2011
Nottinghamshire
wllr.webs.com
Best answers
Hiya Tony,

no, unfortunately the only "factory fitted" adjustment is the volume. Now whether one of the Forum electronics wizards can come up with a mod?..........

Hobo

Narrow Gauge Railways
9 Dec 2011
Nottinghamshire
wllr.webs.com
Best answers
I was just about to add that the "Mylocosound" unit does vary with speed and that they come in at around £49. ;)
(With a triggered whistle too!)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hobo said:
I've used the gardiner Multi-cylinder, Lister 2 cylinder and "steam" sound cards in several loco's over a period of time (in fact the Baguley, Jessie, Simplex and Bagnall in the vid are my loco's ;) )
There's no speed adjustment at all, but the "fluctuating" engine beat with the diesel sound card just seems to sound "right" for everything from stationary tickover to running.
Great value at the price considering the fact that everything is included - even a battery!
The small footprint of the card is also a boon, I even shoe-horned one into the little Simplex to avoid having to have a permanently coupled wagon.

Footnote:- even though I disposed of my steam outline battery loco's I'm now "doing" another...... I guess the video release is a timely reminder that I'll need to save up and order another card!!
Kev,

how small are these PCBs?

Do you have dimensions please?

You mentioned the small footprint....

Hobo

Narrow Gauge Railways
9 Dec 2011
Nottinghamshire
wllr.webs.com
Best answers
Hiya Gizzy - I've just got back home from work, didn't want you to think I was ignoring your question!
I'll pop the card out of the Simplex in the morning and post the measurements up.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
J2s said:
I've got a "Gardner" type one for one of my diesels. It's ok, but strangely, I'd sooner have the "Mylocosound" synthesised engine noise.
If you look at the fellas video clips, in my opinion he's selling them short running on blocks. When my (other) diesel is loaded up with a train, the sound mimicks a real loco pretty well (IE increased revs with no movement then a gradual moving off) Also I seem to have "tuned" the unit so it dont sound half bad either.

John,
I totally agree. We have recently made siginificant improvements to our sounds to add realism. It is therefore time to replace our web site videos, which are now more than two years old, and I will make sure that we film locos pulling real trains rather than running on blocks.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If you want a cheapo but adjustable diesel sound, look at Trax Controls - that's what I've put in the Bachmann 45 tonner. basic but good :clap:

Hobo

Narrow Gauge Railways
9 Dec 2011
Nottinghamshire
wllr.webs.com
Best answers
Right - measurements as requested, the card sits comfortably in a rectangular box 60mmx40mmx12mm :)
Obviously you'll need to locate the pp9 battery and speaker, but in the Simplex I substituted the supplied speaker for a smaller one out of a defunct laptop ;)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hobo said:
Right - measurements as requested, the card sits comfortably in a rectangular box 60mmx40mmx12mm :)
Obviously you'll need to locate the pp9 battery and speaker, but in the Simplex I substituted the supplied speaker for a smaller one out of a defunct laptop ;)
Cheers Kev....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
Am I the only one on here that can't get Beep Beep out of their brain when Acme sound is mentioned? :rofl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zoomandbored.jpg

Wile E coyote....my hero....I have modelled my whole life on his endeavours...he just never gives up

b189c1886d83470580f1aab3ee863396.jpg
8ea30ee1e4f241d590462a4b31b4aff1.gif