Acer next to the track?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
We're about to plant an Acer in our garden (red variety) and have a couple of suitable sites (sheltered from the wind and direct sun). If I plant it in one of these sites it's going to overhang the track as it gets bigger, so having been caught out by this sort of thing before, has anyone experienced any particular problems with having an Acer over-hanging the rails?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Mel, out Acer started like this [2004]...
7669f2f5c5dc451bbe9e9e2b3d8c8aed.jpg

turns out like this [2010]....
9f68451cb0fa4031a8f1ff99ccffb22a.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Exactly the sort of effect we're after Mark. Any particular problems with it over-hanging the track (other than the usual tree stuff)?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The main problem is that one day all the leaves will be happily stuck to the branches and then at a blink of the eye they will be on the ground.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
muns said:
The main problem is that one day all the leaves will be happily stuck to the branches and then at a blink of the eye they will be on the ground.
Sounds like just the usual tree problem then? The shrub that was in the same spot (a victim of the severe winter) did the same thing, so I'm used to it.

Cheers mate :clap:.

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
I was going to post a couple of pictures of the Acer by the pond in our front garden, but can not remember how to do so.
The plant (tree) is about 6 foot in diameter, I thought when we moved in here (Dec 2009) that I would at least put a loop of track around the pond for Christmas 2010, in the end I didn't because of the thick foliage in the summer and the amount of leaf fall in the autumn. And, the fact the local Cat's hold their card school under the bush in mid summer!
If I was now considering running under the Acer I would built a form of covered way or tunnel.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Waldgrun said:
I was going to post a couple of pictures of the Acer by the pond in our front garden, but can not remember how to do so.
Use the 'paperclip' icon in the 'Reply' window Brian....

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Hi Mel

We have a 12 year old Acer similar to the one in Mark (Muns) pic. See my YouTube films for 'live' coverage. I do need to clip the occasional branch to avoid derailment - but the real and short lived problem is in the 'fall'

2156216d640a4a658e5d14fde0e3e490.jpg

But worth every minute I'd say - especially if you are modelling New England :clap:

Regards
Rob

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
Pictures I didn't upload earlier, for an idea of size the loco is an Aristocraft 0-4-0 Switcher and it is standing on two 1 foot lengths of Aristocraft Stainless Steel track which I brought with the intention of using in a short tunnel to avoid cleaning problems.

Oh, forgot to say thanks Gizzy for the info.

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
Hello Brian,

Glad you're still around and living in a much nicer area than you used too! (I hope)

Andy

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Waldgrun said:
Pictures I didn't upload earlier, for an idea of size the loco is an Aristocraft 0-4-0 Switcher and it is standing on two 1 foot lengths of Aristocraft Stainless Steel track which I brought with the intention of using in a short tunnel to avoid cleaning problems.

Oh, forgot to say thanks Gizzy for the info.

Brian thats not a Acer,, its a Yeti in hiding!!:D:rofl:

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Hi Mel, I have an Acer thats about 9 years old, its green, but its leaves turn red at end of year, very short lived colour & drop to the ground very quickly, leaf drop not been a problem as its very windy here, & they quickly disperse, plus its late when they drop so I probably finished train running for the year by then
Acer to right of pink Azaelia, unusually its doubled its height in the last 12 months as normally they are slow growing
they love ericaceous compost

cf3521877cd24a5f9ca29d9ce3e6079b.jpg

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
Granitechops, Thanks now I know what it is, better look out for stray Everest expeditions! And, I thought I only had problems with a feral cat population, wife and myself dealt with over 40 animals last year. Andy check your emails.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks for the info guys, particularly the compost Don. As we already have a number of trees (although not as many as we used to) I'm not over bothered about the leaf drop, it's all part of the game and to be expected. Also less of an issue as I seem to run battery power most of the time now. What I was mainly concerned with was the potential for specific problems as some suffer from seed pods etc. with certain trees.

Good to hear from you Brian. Didn't realise you were in Yr Ystog. We'll be nipping into Tuffins for brekkie on Sunday on our way for a day on the Talyllyn.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Mel
I have several Acer trees on my line most are planted in the shade out of the wind try to avoid the morning sun , i always prune mine back in the autumn after they drop there leaves . Some people keep them in the pots when planting so there more like bonsai . Pis are all on the other computer .

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Richie said:
Hi Mel
I have several Acer trees on my line most are planted in the shade out of the wind try to avoid the morning sun , i always prune mine back in the autumn after they drop there leaves . Some people keep them in the pots when planting so there more like bonsai . Pis are all on the other computer .
Cheers Rich :clap:.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Try a Bonsai mate no problems with overhang here! this ones 14 years old now.......................
4ab7dc9ae9d045cca4b293914fc6fc45.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks for all the replies chaps. Acer now acquired (well, scrounged actually) and planted out this morning. Now watching it grow :D.

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
The opening of Bobby Goldsboro song Honey comes to mind!