Accucraft early Peveril lubricator drain

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Good Evening All,
My neighbour has an early Accucraft Peveril with the lubricator drain under the running board and it catches the motion and looks orible!!
Has anybody blanked of the drain like the late models?
if so how did you do it
Thanks in advance

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Good Evening All,
My neighbour has an early Accucraft Peveril with the lubricator drain under the running board and it catches the motion and looks orible!!
Has anybody blanked of the drain like the late models?
if so how did you do it
Thanks in advance
That can't be right, surely it's not meant to catch the motion

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
That can't be right, surely it's not meant to catch the motion
It's mainly with the float of the rear axle and the T bar that passes through the cap, we're a bit worried that if you try to tighten it more to get the T bar parallel to the motion, it might strip the threads.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
It's mainly with the float of the rear axle and the T bar that passes through the cap, we're a bit worried that if you try to tighten it more to get the T bar parallel to the motion, it might strip the threads.
What about making the T-bar removable? Drill it out and use a small length of rod when you want to drain down :think::think:

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
What about making the T-bar removable? Drill it out and use a small length of rod when you want to drain down :think::think:
Thanks Rhino, I think he wants to remove it as it is a bit unsightly as well, it does hang down below the side tanks.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Rhino, I think he wants to remove it as it is a bit unsightly as well, it does hang down below the side tanks.
I'm sure the ones on my Accucraft locos are the same thread as the boiler filler, would one of those look better?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, the compromises ........................... :nod::nod:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Some Accucraft live steamers have the steam oil drain T bar shortened to small fixed stubs Example - the W&L Countess/Earl. You can still turn and remove the lubricator drain in this shortened form. You could shorten the T Bar and even make a "key" from suitably sized metal tube, with its own T bar inserted to use as a removal tool. Most Accucraft live steamers use one of those to remove the usually hard to reach steam oil cylinder top in the cab, although that is a different size and cannot be used for the drain. Have a word with Graham Langer at Accucraft UK and see if they made a fix for this apparent issue. Max

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I'm sure the ones on my Accucraft locos are the same thread as the boiler filler, would one of those look better?

Those are the steam oil filler tops that match the boiler fillers, not the drains. they are much smaller. Also used fro blow downs on some models. Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Tell him to run it the other way around :D:D