Accu Safety Valve

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Hello. Does anybody know anything about Accucraft Edrig/Caradoc safety valves?. The one on my Edrig started to blow off at 35psi, so i screwed it in a bit using two metal prongs. This solved the issue and now blows off at 55-60psi.
Does the valve screw tight or is it set at a particular setting in the threaded bit?.
Hope that makes sense!

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
55-60psi is the correct pressure for Accucraft safety valves.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It is easy to assume that the safety valve is at fault. There is an equal chance that it is the pressure gauge that is at fault, reading low in your case. This can be caused by a partial blockage of the supply pipe.

If the problem IS actually the pressure gauge then by screwing down the safety valve you may have increased the boiler's working pressure from 55-60psi to 85-90psi.

You need to find the real problem before attempting the fix!

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Good point but i knew it wasn't the pressure gauge because it started to blow off 4 mins from start up and it would not pull its own weight.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Find someone else with a similar loco and try swapping over the safety valves.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Rosco said:
Good point but i knew it wasn't the pressure gauge because it started to blow off 4 mins from start up and it would not pull its own weight.
Ah, yes. With that knowledge that would almost certainly be the correct diagnosis!

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I may have mentioned this before; spare safety valves are about £11 (or were) and then you can send yours back if you need a reset or new 'o' ring.

A modest investment for peace of mind and guaranteed continued running; I think it's the way to go.
Dave

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
Thanks for the info dgt. Indeed it was a perished O ring.

robbieg96

Music, Film, Steam Railways, Roller Hockey
6 Jan 2010
Berkshire
Best answers
My Edrig was also having this problem, blowing off at about 40 yet it will happily pull a train at about 30.

Where can you buy new safety valves?

Cheers!
Rob

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Alan Whitaker at PPS Steam Models sells them. £12 each. I have one on my Edrig. PPS Steam Models 01373 300599.
Look at his web site http://www.pps-steam-models.co.uk/index.htm < Link To PPS Steam Models under Accessories, Steam Fittings. It's the fifth item down.
Steve

robbieg96

Music, Film, Steam Railways, Roller Hockey
6 Jan 2010
Berkshire
Best answers
Perfect!! Thanks!

Jisonga

Garden Railways, Motor Sport, Games Consoles.
24 Oct 2009
South East England.
Best answers
I have one of the PPS Steam safety valves on my Mimi and it works a treat making the engine a lot better in operation.

Also Alan is a great guy to deal with, he is very knowledgable about all things steam and always has time to help.

Jason.