Abellio Greater Anglia project

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I had this idea ages ago, but originally for a totally different livery, train type and country of service. Having had a few trips recently on Family & Friends vouchers (compliments of my son) I put my thinking cap on while waiting for connections in Norwich station. I now have seven LCE sets plus a few extra coaches. I always thought an HST was a possibility once the pantographs were removed. Watching a class 90 come in DVT first from Liverpool Street the seed was sown. Modelling a 90 to fit in the set looked like hard work but I felt I could combine it's DVT styling with an HST format to give a diesel powered 'might have been' set. No great hacking about would be necessary if I could achieve it largely cosmetically with an LGB type vinyl 'wrap'. I consider adopting the Greater Anglia element acceptable as there are many lines in this area that are still, and probably will forever, be devoid of 'electricity'. This is all still experimental at the moment but having produced some feasible artwork I thought I'd apply it using MS paint to an LGB coach outline to see what it could look like. If it actually gets off the ground and anyone else fancies a re-livery I may be able to produce extra sets of vinyls for the cost of the special paper and inks needed. Other liveries could also be a possibility, but that would be something to consider for the future. Anyway this is what I've come up with so far:

side..Copy.000.jpgside2 - Copy.png

OK, I know it's well undersize but once a rake is put together I think I might get away with it. Comments welcome - constructive or otherwise!
When I get more time I'll post a mock-up of the power unit(s).

Reactions: 6 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
To accurately simulate the real thing, you'll have to set a delay timer so that when you turn the controller, it is at least 30 minutes before the train starts to move..... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
To accurately simulate the real thing, you'll have to set a delay timer so that when you turn the controller, it is at least 30 minutes before the train starts to move..... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon.
No No No Jon. They leave on time. It's when they get to the border at Diss that it all goes to pot.

Reactions: 1 users

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Possible loco end
loco3a (2).jpg

Reactions: 6 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Mike, but what will you do when the next franchise takes over.... :D

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Very good indeed. If the reality comes anywhere near the MS Paint mockups it will really look the part. Good job.

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work Mike, but what will you do when the next franchise takes over.... :D
I think I'll leave it 'as is' Gizzy. I don't recall there being a great rush of modellers to re-livery all their Hornby stuff when BR disappeared. Anyway, don't forget I have another six sets to play with.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
I've just seen the Anglia TV newsclip on the testing of the new Stadler Flirt hybrids destined for service in this area in 2020. I've managed to acquire some photos and artists impressions from the 'net and may now have to rethink this project. Also means I can legitimately leave a pantograph in place.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I had this idea ages ago, but originally for a totally different livery, train type and country of service. Having had a few trips recently on Family & Friends vouchers (compliments of my son) I put my thinking cap on while waiting for connections in Norwich station. I now have seven LCE sets plus a few extra coaches. I always thought an HST was a possibility once the pantographs were removed. Watching a class 90 come in DVT first from Liverpool Street the seed was sown. Modelling a 90 to fit in the set looked like hard work but I felt I could combine it's DVT styling with an HST format to give a diesel powered 'might have been' set. No great hacking about would be necessary if I could achieve it largely cosmetically with an LGB type vinyl 'wrap'. I consider adopting the Greater Anglia element acceptable as there are many lines in this area that are still, and probably will forever, be devoid of 'electricity'. This is all still experimental at the moment but having produced some feasible artwork I thought I'd apply it using MS paint to an LGB coach outline to see what it could look like. If it actually gets off the ground and anyone else fancies a re-livery I may be able to produce extra sets of vinyls for the cost of the special paper and inks needed. Other liveries could also be a possibility, but that would be something to consider for the future. Anyway this is what I've come up with so far:

View attachment 246665View attachment 246666

OK, I know it's well undersize but once a rake is put together I think I might get away with it. Comments welcome - constructive or otherwise!
When I get more time I'll post a mock-up of the power unit(s).
That coach is far to clean. All the abellio stock that I’ve seen at Norwich is filthy dirty.:giggle:

ebay mike

6 Dec 2011
Best answers
Country flag
That coach is far to clean. All the abellio stock that I’ve seen at Norwich is filthy dirty.:giggle:
I'll tell my son, Paul. He's working this evening - I think he's TCM at Thorpe tonight so perhaps he can find someone to whip them through the wash before they're positioned for tomorrow.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
One of the great things for us now if one wishes to model the current scene is the amount of Bi-Mode and Dual-Mode stock being created. Great excuse for leaving the Pans Down. But I would think of putting a few Boxes of some kind on the Roof or Underneath if freelancing and say that they are Battery or Engine boxes for the Bi-Mode. Anyone for a Diesel Sound Unit on a former Straight Electric?