A level crossing

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve built my first level crossing. I wanted something that would withstand weather, it being humid and damp here, with additional high temperatures, as well as withstanding the chewing of a young Collie. So decided to build in brass, soldered up. As I’ve never done any soldering except soldering wires, this was a learning experience! The gates are brass and they don’t open, that was never the intention. The roadway is wood, made of supposedly weather resistant stuff liberally soaked in WaterSeal. Previous use of this has stood up well over some years.

Here it is installed temporarily and awaiting the ballasting of the track either side and creation of the road.
View media item 3092View media item 3091View media item 3090View media item 3089View media item 3088View media item 3087

Reactions: 8 users

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Nicely done -- a good addition to your railway.

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Looks real nice. The brass construction will stop the young collie's chewing. :lipssealed:
I'm only familiar with gates that swing across the track. Yours must theoretically go the other way. The grills to stop straying animal is a nice touch.
Now you just need a rickety old shack for the rickety old lady in overalls to sit in between trains. :)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like what I saw when visiting Didcot Railway Center.....:)

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looks real nice. The brass construction will stop the young collie's chewing. :lipssealed:
I'm only familiar with gates that swing across the track. Yours must theoretically go the other way. The grills to stop straying animal is a nice touch.
Now you just need a rickety old shack for the rickety old lady in overalls to sit in between trains. :)
Yes, I originally was going to create an ‘occupation’ crossing but the project just grew. It was going to be in a much smaller place, so I used artistic license with the way the gates swung. If I were doing it again I have a wider crossing and probably get the gates to actually open. C’est la vie! Next time. We’ll see how long the cattle grid survives. Although I was aware of them in 1:1 railways, I got the inspiration from John Robinson in New Zealand - who is of this parish.

In theory the crossing is controlled by the signal box at East Burnham Station just a bit down the line. The old lady has other tasks at the Station, making the tea.

Reactions: 2 users

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like what I saw when visiting Didcot Railway Center.....:)
My heart is with the GWR, and I was a member of the Great Western Society Back in the ‘60s at Taplow, before we moved to Didcot.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Who am I to comment? But lengths of diagonal wire (or white plastic) from corner to corner is quite usual as a way of supporting the gate when being opened and closed.

Hope you don't mind my observation.

Sarah Winfield

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
In theory the crossing is controlled by the signal box at East Burnham Station just a bit down the line. The old lady has other tasks at the Station, making the tea.

Yes, they could be automated ones, therefor no shack. On the metropolitan electric lines here in Melbourne, Australia they still had a few manually operated gates only 20 years or so back. Seems strangely antiquated. They are now doing tunnels and flyovers trying to get rid of level crossings in general. The metro trains are up in the air or under the ground half the time.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A nice piece of work and it looks just the job. As for opening away fro the track, there is a prototype for pretty well everything somewhere.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
A cracking job.. nicely done

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 2 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, they could be automated ones, therefor no shack. On the metropolitan electric lines here in Melbourne, Australia they still had a few manually operated gates only 20 years or so back. Seems strangely antiquated. They are now doing tunnels and flyovers trying to get rid of level crossings in general. The metro trains are up in the air or under the ground half the time.
We still have manual gates here, even on main lines

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ballast is looking good, Martino. Not sure I like the look on the faces of those flamingos, though.

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Ballast is looking good, Martino. Not sure I like the look on the faces of those flamingos, though.

Rik
Definitely be careful of flamingos:mask::mask:

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think you’re OK unless you’re a shrimp.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag