A DIY point lever

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
By far the most reliable point operating mechanism that I have ever tried is : -

Points (600 x 450).jpg

The fishing line does eventually give in to the U.V. but at least it's easy to replace. It worked well on my terminus passing loop for some years. The weight can be adjusted very finely to give the gentlest positive movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
By far the most reliable point operating mechanism that I have ever tried is : -

View attachment 244758

The fishing line does eventually give in to the U.V. but at least it's easy to replace. It worked well on my terminus passing loop for some years. The weight can be adjusted very finely to give the gentlest positive movement.

I use the same on my trailer layout with the addition of plastic tubing to change direction - I have been contemplating making at least two levers to operate the fishing lines though!

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 244758

Interesting - I've never used points without actually positively switching them :shake::shake::shake::shake:

Actually, I lied there, as I've forgotten to switch them, with ensuing derailments more times than I can remember :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I use the same on my trailer layout with the addition of plastic tubing to change direction

Idea officially nicked Mick. I've been struggling with my last sprung point and I've been thinking of how to go back to string-weights, but as I'm at ground level already, I've got no drop for the weight, the 'string' can now go up first! :rock:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
........ - I might borrow your ideas for my Trailer layout if you don't mind!
Be my guest, Mick. Only too happy to share my fettling

Rik

Last edited:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I like the mechanism. It looks better than my barrel bolt system.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It's bad enough now with the one cent coins - most shops now round up (or down) to eliminate handling - my bank will only accept them on a Tuesday or Thursday! In the end I took them to Tesco's where they have a machine that sorts them and gives you a credit note (to spend in Tesco's of course) - I had 21 euros worth of the things! Next on the hit list of "real" currency will be the 2 cents!

Keep up the good work - I might borrow your ideas for my Trailer layout if you don't mind!

Thread drift on;
In Aust we got rid of 1 &2 Cent pieces and now only have 5 Cent bits, but there are rumbling that they on the way out as well. Prices are either rounded up or down at the checkout if paying cash, no rounding if using fantastic plastic.
Thread drift off;

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Thread drift on;
In Aust we got rid of 1 &2 Cent pieces and now only have 5 Cent bits, but there are rumbling that they on the way out as well. Prices are either rounded up or down at the checkout if paying cash, no rounding if using fantastic plastic.
Thread drift off;
Similarly in Canada, 1 cent coins disappeared some years back, and we do the rounding thing. Nickels (5c) are still abundant, but I don't get dimes (10c) in my change very often. Dunno why.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Similarly in Canada, 1 cent coins disappeared some years back, and we do the rounding thing. Nickels (5c) are still abundant, but I don't get dimes (10c) in my change very often. Dunno why.

Bing Crosby

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That all makes sense, but how often do they round down?

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Should that not read 'That all makes cents...'

David
Err... it was a deliberately corny and appalling pun, that's why it's spelt like that.
Whilst on the subject, we seem to be getting rid of our coppers too, I haven't seen a patrol car on the A14 for months

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst on the subject, we seem to be getting rid of our coppers too, I haven't seen a patrol car on the A14 for months

No, David still posts.. :nod: Though he is retired (if not shy) these days.. :);)
Re: A14... Perhaps they find it as boring a road, as I do?? :think:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Probably, after the M11, it's got to be the most soporific road I know